Nervous about making the decision

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelylisa

Reaction score
Hi all - I wonder if someone could give me some advice please? I have been having highlights for the past year and currently have VERY blonde / platinum / white hair. I can no longer afford the upkeep and would like to return to a more managable DIY colour.

I know my hair will need repigmenting before I darken it but I'm not sure what the best way of doing that is myself, at home. I should also mention I have about 4 weeks of regrowth now too. After researching I have come up with the following plan but I am still nervous about taking the plunge - can you help?

• Bleach roots so that the whole head is the same colour
  • Apply a red / ginger dye as a filler (not sure if this should be semi-perm or permanent?)
  • Apply a flat, medium blonde to get the required colour - I don't want anything too dark!

Any advice would be very welcome - not sure if I am going a long way about it???

Thanks,
Lisa

Last edited:
You are really on the wrong track. If cost is an issue then a college or training night is the cheapest option. Please don't attempt this madcap plan yourself.
As this is a strictly pro forum, I cannot give you any technical advice, but I can tell you that your plan is very wrong.

Oh God - good job I checked then - I thought I had done my research! How frustrating!!

Sorry - I didn't realise there were rules to the forum - I really need to get some advice so will try elsewhere...

Thanks anyway!

you would have ended up with coral pink hair. This is not possible as a diy job, you don't have access to the products needed.

Ahh OK, thanks - credit card and a trip to the salon it is then!!!

If ur not a hairdresser do not attempt this hun! It is tricky and can come out very bad! Plus ruin ur hair!!!!just pay the little bit of money and go to someone who kbws how to do corrective color.. Or u could go to a beauty supplie store and get a level 6 brown, apply roots to ends leave on all over and then pay to get a few foils in ot for some contrast.. Hope this helps!

Fab thanks!!

Just make sure u start at ur roots.. Go through whole hair dying roots then pull through to ends.. It will save u somemoney of gettin it xolored. Ask the girla at the beauty supply store. Thwyll help.then go to salon for hilites and ur goid:) im a nice hairdresser i cheat n tell my xlients this thats why they lovee me!

Or u could go to a beauty supplie store and get a level 6 brown, apply roots to ends leave on all over and then pay to get a few foils in ot for some contrast.. Hope this helps!

Greenish hair is always a good look! I'm sure it'd be lovely and wishy washy too on the ends where it is porous. I really wouldn't advise the op to do this herself.

Agree with other comments , it could cost alot more if you attempt it yourself as it is a very tricky job, even for professionals!! And you are likely to pay alot in end to get it put right, also risk having lots cut off! If you care about your hair, get a professional to do it!!

Just make sure u start at ur roots.. Go through whole hair dying roots then pull through to ends.. It will save u somemoney of gettin it xolored. Ask the girla at the beauty supply store. Thwyll help.then go to salon for hilites and ur goid:) im a nice hairdresser i cheat n tell my xlients this thats why they lovee me!

1. Ask the girls at the suppliers? That's like asking Jenny who works on the till at tesco how to rustle up a Gordon Ramsay meal. Just cos they work there, don't mean they know anything. On the contrary, their job is to sell to us who know what we are buying. I had a client go to supplier and ask for a silver toner for blonde hair..... They gave her 5/19 Color fresh...... Dark brown ash.... Yen great look on her platinum hair!!!!!!

2. Do you know you are actually in effect taking money out your bank account and giving it to your clients by telling them to go to suppliers?? And to top it off their hair will look awful - we all have home dye clients who will swear they've done a full head but they are all patchy at the back.

To the OP - try local colleges as they are supervised and much cheaper and would love to get their hands on this type of work! Enjoy your new hair xx

1. Ask the girls at the suppliers? That's like asking Jenny who works on the till at tesco how to rustle up a Gordon Ramsay meal. Just cos they work there, don't mean they know anything. On the contrary, their job is to sell to us who know what we are buying. I had a client go to supplier and ask for a silver toner for blonde hair..... They gave her 5/19 Color fresh...... Dark brown ash.... Yen great look on her platinum hair!!!!!!

2. Do you know you are actually in effect taking money out your bank account and giving it to your clients by telling them to go to suppliers?? And to top it off their hair will look awful - we all have home dye clients who will swear they've done a full head but they are all patchy at the back.

To the OP - try local colleges as they are supervised and much cheaper and would love to get their hands on this type of work! Enjoy your new hair xx

Completely agree.
Please don't do it yourself!
And I am also a nice hairdresser :) !!

Also agree with the above comments. I'm a nice hairdresser but there's some things that should be left to the professionals.
You have 2 options:
1-go to a salon/college/mobile hairdresser and get your hair done
Or
2- do it yourself then go back to option 1 and pay twice as much to get it fixed :)

If she put a levl 6 or 7 all over it and had someone assist her she could do it! Were all girls its not that hard!! My friend who isnt a hairdresser i tOught her how to do it easily. And no im not taking money out of my pocket because in the long run they always come bCk and tip me very well! And yeah u can ask the girl at the supplie store where a level 6 is!!! Not for directions how to do it... Hairdressers always tryin to take peoples money

If the girls that desperate it can be done.. Not that hard and it might not he as perfect as salon dying but its really not that complicated to dye ur whole yead one color lol... And if it is dingy looking which it usually is without a filler then dye it again for it to be richer in color..

If the girls that desperate it can be done.. Not that hard and it might not he as perfect as salon dying but its really not that complicated to dye ur whole yead one color lol... And if it is dingy looking which it usually is without a filler then dye it again for it to be richer in color..

Your a joke. And put professional hairdressers to shame!

This girls hair has been bleached White!! There is no way that just putting a level 6 all over it is goin to give her the desired effect!
The hair is going to need pre-pigging and due to the porosity of the hair it's going to need expert application.

I would not attempt this at home! A level 6, if they bought just that surely it would go green, you need to have some warmth to it. At the end of the day, go to a salon

Thanks all - it appears I have caused quite a stir!!

I am going to go to the hairdressers tomorrow and ask for some advice / quote, so fingers crossed! Thanks again - sorry to have crashed your forum!

Your a joke. And put professional hairdressers to shame!

Cor, that's a bit strong ain't it? Persianista advised OP perfectly, others are just giving their opinion, I thought that's what we did here. Helped each other out? At the end of the day, anyone who wants something that desperate will cut corners no matter what. Hopefully now OP will be able to make her own informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back