Newly qualified and failing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindylou's

Reaction score
Hi,

I qualified and was lucky to find a salon owner who was willing to let me work for free to train as such with a view to be employed in 3 months once competent.

The problem is I've lost all my confidence, panic at the slightest thing and even the things I was good at in college I seem unable to do now! I got good at shellac but not seem incapable of doing a normal polish :( I messed up just putting tips on today it was ridiculous.

I was better than this and now I feel like I'm never going to be able to do it...I left my old career and retrained to do this and I so want to make it work but I'm really failing :( I don't know what to do, don't think salon will keep me much longer, any advice on building confidence or anything! So desperate, thanks :)

What happened to knock your confidence in the first place? X

When I started working on paying customers 2 wks ago I feel so much pressure to get it right and I know he needs to tell me where I can improve but everything single thing I do he tells me isn't right and I've become really shaky and panicky because I know I can't do it as well as he wants me too, I thought I would make a good technician when I qualified and now I think I'm rubbish :(

Ps thanks for replying :) x

no no no you are NOT rubbish! you are newly qualified. don't worry my lovely we all have to start somewhere and with practice you will be absolutely fine! but it does just take time. It's fab you've found yourself a place in a salon but if hes constantly looking over you and picking up every little detail, surely this could be more harm than its worth at the moment because your new to it. I do think in this industry you have to develop a thick skin but when your completely new to it you need to build your confidence up x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm sure there isn't one of us that hasn't had a crisis of confidence at some stage. Revise in your head the stages of each treatment you do, take a deep breathe and breathe slowly. It can be nerve wracking but I always used to think thank goodness I'm not a brain surgeon! The fact you care so much suggests you are going to be fine and fabulous!!

Thank you so much for your kind words Brooke. I know your right, he is a nice guy but I don't think he has any patience for training, I know he wanted someone experienced. The problem is so do all salons. I sent my cv to all the salons in my area and the ones that responded said they only take experienced techs. I need a job, I just feel defeated :(

I'm sure there isn't one of us that hasn't had a crisis of confidence at some stage. Revise in your head the stages of each treatment you do, take a deep breathe and breathe slowly. It can be nerve wracking but I always used to think thank goodness I'm not a brain surgeon! The fact you care so much suggests you are going to be fine and fabulous!!
Thank you so much for the advice :) x

can you be specific about what your struggling on? and maybe we can offer some tips and advice for you? I agree with you some people don't have the patience to teach people xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's ridiculous but since he trained me to do shellac (which I am getting good at) I now seem incapable of doing a normal polish! Whenever I do a pedicure the polish always leaks back into the cuticle and if I put less it's not enough and looks awful. I struggle with the opi polish he uses as well as I can't get used to the big brushes. Most of his polishes are gloomy and hard to work with even after putting remover in, although that's a bad excuse really cause he can still do it nice! Every time I get a normal mani or pedi that isn't shellac I start to panic before I even start!

I'm too slow as well, his clients are quite wealthy and I can tell they get impatient and he keeps telling me I need to be quicker but then I just feel even more pressured. Maybe I'm just not ready to work on paying clients buy how else will I learn...God its frustrating! Well another 10 hr day tomorrow si bedtime.. so exhausted the stress is stopping me from sleeping.. its all just going wrong! Haha what a moan I'm having.. Thanks for listening all :)

I promise you it does get better! I re trained as a nail tech two years ago aged 48! I really struggled with confidence, blamed myself if they had a single chip assuming it was my fault! I realised eventually that people use their hands differently and of course with practice and the help of forums like these, my technique and confidence has grown. There were quite a few tears and I nearly gave up! So glad I didn't, now love it and have some good regular, satisfied clients. Just keep doing on friends and family until you get your confidence back. Good luck x

Awww I feel awful for you right now. It's hard when you're new at this the last thing you need is pressure, your boss had to start from the beginning once too, sounds like he's forgotten ;) If it's making you so unhappy can't you talk to him ? And what about practicing more at home or even advertising your services to go mobile and slowly build this way ?
I'm not qualified in acrylics, just recently gel polish & mani but i'm having problems and that's hard enough on your confidence... Chin up, don't let your boss put you off X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Maybe this just isn't the right environment for you, why don't you go out on your own to take the pressure off? X

Get a friend or relative and practice on them just doing a normal polish, over and over. Then try somebody else as all nails are different. Practice practice Hun. Don't let it knock your confidence! We all have to start somewhere xx

I trained years ago and gave up due to no confidence, I regretted it and now 30 years later I have retrained [emoji3] my confidence is low but this time I'm not giving up so stick at it you will be great x

Awww - don't be too hard on yourself ...
I bet that your work is really good ...
Or he wouldn't let you loose on his paying clients ... Really now Would he ... Remember he has a business and a reputation to keep ...!!!!
I started with nail extensions in 2000/2001 ... Even after all these years I can look at nails iv done and I'm not happy with them it's called being self critical (clients are always really happy tho - it's just me being way too critical of my self - still)
and it's a good thing as you will always push yourself to do a better job next time ... It's better to look at your work and think what you would change or do different as iv seen some awful sets done and therapist that think they are better than they are lol
Practice makes perfect ... Xxxx

Awww - don't be too hard on yourself ...
I bet that your work is really good ...
Or he wouldn't let you loose on his paying clients ... Really now Would he ... Remember he has a business and a reputation to keep ...!!!!
I started with nail extensions in 2000/2001 ... Even after all these years I can look at nails iv done and I'm not happy with them it's called being self critical (clients are always really happy tho - it's just me being way too critical of my self - still)
and it's a good thing as you will always push yourself to do a better job next time ... It's better to look at your work and think what you would change or do different as iv seen some awful sets done and therapist that think they are better than they are lol
Practice makes perfect ... Xxxx
Thank you so much it's so nice to hear all your support. It's hard to take constant criticism but I know it's because he wants me to work with him and be good. He's french so even though he's not very diplomatic and think that's just his way! Lol

Thank you to everyone I really do feel better after all your comments! I realise my confidence issues are mine and it would be that way whether or not he was there and he is a nice guy. Just need to perserve I guess! Xx

I feel the exact same I did my nails course back in 2011 and I have finally found a salon and a employer that is willing to give me a chance I haven't lots of confidence either but that's just me in general I have been doing Nails in the salon and they have been really good but I take too long I am taking 2 hours I need to get quicker but i get so stressed about taking to long but I suppose the more I do the quicker I will get right ? Xx

Latest posts

Back