One ball method

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious1

Reaction score
Does everyone here use the one ball method when applying acrylic or the three beads?? It seems no one really does 3 beads. I learned to use 3 beads in school but I always ended up with mountains .. heh.

I use a #10 I feel like I'm just making more work for myself and wasting product not getting the acrylic down in one bead. I place at the cuticle area first and then I feel like I go all over the place until I cover the whole nail. My application isn't uniformed at all and it frustrates me sometimes..
Will this just take lots of practice?

2nd, I notice when nails are thinner the shape looks better, but doesn't the nail have to have a sort of thickness to be more strong and durable or is it as long as the apex is more thick?? or does the thickness not matter?? :confused:

I've seen the one ball method done by a professional on youtube and it blew my mind.

Points of controversy are whether the extension will be as strong and whether you'll be able to get a nice apex. Apparently with good product and technique it's not an issue.

It's not unusual for two beads to be enough for me so I see your point.

I do! I still use the four ball method! using a #8 for all acrylic work.
It's how I was trained so it's how I have continued. I have tried using a larger brush to but found it only wasted liquid.
The free edge can be thin as long as you have a good c-curve and apex in place :)

I'm a three bead girl, 4 if necessary to build the structure.

If you're putting down too much product, ultimately leading to too much filing, then swap to a smaller brush. This will hold less liquid so you can't make such a big bead (you should be able to make a smaller bead with your big brush but it's easier to change brush). Then make sure you take the time to put the product where you want it, 'sculpt with your brush not your file' is the method I was taught. Better control with your brush in the beginning means less filing, less time, less product wastage = more money

Thanks for the input ladies!
Love the "sculpt with your brush not your file"..
That makes sense because I find myself over filing hurting my wrist and working extra hard for one set.

I will try sticking to three beads! And practice it more.
I got caught up with seeing too many one ball methods and felt that I needed to keep up with that somehow to be quick.

Latest posts

Back