Overly demanding client. Advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow Bright

Reaction score
I did shellac on a new client last night, her nails were in good condition, and she chose Rose Bud. She called me this evening to say that one nail had chipped already. I said that could pop round tomorrow to re-do. She then said that it was the wrong colour, that it was too pink and not the colour she had choosen off the colour pops. I said that it was the same colour as I had painted the colour pop using the same bottle and that it was very distinctive as I don't have any other similar colours. She still proceeded to say it was the wrong colour. So I have arranged to go round tomorrow evening to have a look.

I'm thinking, ok the shellac chipped within 24hrs of having it on, so as a gesture of goodwill I was willing to go and re-do that finger free of charge. But then as for the wrong colour?!? I KNOW it is the colour she chose, and I'm not willing to remove and re-apply a new colour for free. So I was thinking of saying to her that I will re-do the one finger, or if she really is not happy with the colour that I will remove it all, free of charge. But if she wants a different colour she will have to pay.

Would appreciate your views, this has really put me on a downer tonight and knocked my confidence, and I'm dreading the confrontation because I know I'm a soft c*w and will probably let her guilt me into it one way or another!

thanks

Last edited:
You don't go to work for free right? Repair the one nail, if she has had a change of mind on the colour then she needs to be informed that she can either have the current colour soaked off or replaced at a full fee, as there is nothing wrong with the other nails then it is her decision to replace perfectly good nails

I agree, do the repair but everything else you would have to charge for.

Take the colorpop with you, I notice that some of my colorpops have faded in the salon displays (this is with Gelish and Gelicure not Shellac). It might be worth checking the colorpop against her nails.

Definetly don't soak off and change the color unless she pays you. She chose it to begin with now she's changed her mind and wants a freebee by the sounds of it.:rolleyes: Tough. Your being more than fair by going round and re-doing the chipped nail. Did you ask her how she chipped it? Your not a charity hun your a business. Time to get tough. Offer to go round and fix the chipped nail but point out that if she wants a color change she has to pay.:biggrin:

I agree with all of the above. Your client will respect you so much more if you charge professionally.

Sounds like she is trying it on, I would be tempted to suggest she may have even chipped Shellac on purpose to prompt contacting you about the colour. My guess is she liked the colour at the time but it doesn;t match an outfit or something like that.

Repair for free as a one off, if she wants the colour changing make her pay. It would be no great loss to you if she decided not to use your services again, client quality beats quantity x Also makes for a much easier, profitable life x

It took me a while to grasp but got their in the end and actually don't dread the phone ringing anymore ;)

Thanks for your input. I'll just have to try and be firm.
It's just a shame as she is one of 3 new clients I did on Friday night and they were all going to be recurring customers, just thinking that the outcome of this is going to prevent the other two from re-booking.:sad:

Thanks for your input. I'll just have to try and be firm.
It's just a shame as she is one of 3 new clients I did on Friday night and they were all going to be recurring customers, just thinking that the outcome of this is going to prevent the other two from re-booking.:sad:

There is no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face here lol!!

If this is going to lose you 3 clients then maybe we need to look at this from a different angle.

I would attend to the chip, showing her the colour pop is a good idea, just to nicely let her know you did not make any mistakes with the colour. Then if she says she really doesn't like it now it is on, you could either layer another colour on top to change it, or soak off and redo for a small charge, or depending on her attitude you could do it for free as A GESTURE OF GOODWILL letting her know that it is a one off.
That way she will have the coloour she wants, rebook with you and tell all her friends what a lovely nail tech you are.

The other alternative is to have her pick off the colour because she doesn't like it, then moan to anyone who will listen about how her shellac ruined her nails :rolleyes:

Yes I know we don't want clients walking all over us, but sometimes we need to give in a little to potentially gain a lot !

Stick to your guns hun. Definately do not re-do for free.
Also, if the colour was not what she chose, why didn't she say something when you were applying it?
Good luck& let us know what happens.

Incidentally if you are mobile don't you have a minimum charge? I wouldn't want to just go to someones house to do 1 nail, it would cost you more in petrol than it would be worth.

I agree with izzi.

When reading I thought you could offer to layer something else ontop to change the colour. I would see what happens when you go and see her and play it by ear.

Sometimes it seems that clients go through treatments with their eyes closed - surely she would have seen the colour once the second coat had gone one first finger - sounds like she made the mistake and chose the wrong colour ...

But as previous posters have stated - maybe a goodwill gesture might win the day and she will only shout good things about you which may result in more business:)

I would definitely do the repair free, but charge if she wants a colour change this lady is trying it on! I always go by gut feeling with
customers as have gotten used to what a potential nightmare customer says in the first phone call, often if they slag any other salons off, ask for discounts, or say how expensive treatments are thats when i answer I'm fully booked because I definitely agree quality over quantity! Mobile is hard work and add customers that do not want to pay and it's just not worth it you have to be thick skinned in this business I've learnt this the hard way! I've even have so called friends trying to steal clients! But you have to do your best and be tough!

N

How did it go?

I know this matter has been settled by now but my question is, why didn't she question the color being wrong before you left her home?

ooo i only just read this, hope it all went well :D i'm interested to know wether it chipped or she picked at it because she didn't like the colour hoping you'd go back and do it for free... x

It was not as bad as I had imagined it! It was on good terms.

Her Shellac chipped because the end of her nail was flaking, she said it just came off while she was typing. So I thought well, I should have noticed that during the prep. But I did get her to agree that I had applied the colour she had chosen, and that it was the same as the colour pop. She really hated it though and wanted it off. I ended up removing and doing her a different colour and I did not charge. But only because she had booked a next appointment to get a gel mani & pedi and asked me to bring some retail bits, and said that she would get booked in again before her Xmas party too. So yes I was out of pocket, but I thought that the return business was worth more in the long run (hers and the other two clients, plus possibly her house mate). I did make it very clear to her though that it was an absolute one-off and that I did not make a habit of doing free nails, and that in future any repairs a chargeable with no exceptions. And also reiterated that she still needed to be careful with her nails as Shellac is not bullet proof, and use her solar oil religiously.

So some might think it was a silly thing to do, I just thought it was worth taking the hit for future business. We'll see if it was worth it!

I know this matter has been settled by now but my question is, why didn't she question the color being wrong before you left her home?

I think what happened was that, in the light of the kitchen where I was doing the treatment, it looked quite a dusky pink. Then in the daylight she's realised that it's a bit more 'Barbie' pink than she had expected. I've picked the wrong colour before today, I actually did it for my wedding nails - I just sucked it up and thought 'oh well, wont be having that one again!'

Well done, I would have done the same thing.

It is all about balance isn't it.....and her return business and recomendations to her friends will be worth this one off colour change.

Yes, we are in business and I agree with everyone who said don't do it for free, I really do, BUT every case/client is different and each situation needs to be judged on it's own merit. We don't get to see or speak to the client, you do so it was your call.

Latest posts

Back