Problem with client's nails which keep breaking

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlekate

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me...
I have a regular client that's been having her nails done every 2 weeks with me for a few years now with no problems. She has/used to have IBX, Brisa lite smoothing gel then shellac. Since the brisa lite has been discontinued I have tried duraforce, a layer of original top coat underneath and the last time used brisa hard gel with shellac. Recently (the last 4 or 5 times) her nails keep breaking at the sides down near the nail bed and nothing I do seems to be stopping it. Im so baffled as to why as she never had problems before. The annoying thing is she is getting married in march so I desperately want to find a fix for her so that we can get her nails back to being lovely like they were before for her wedding. I'm not sure if she is knocking them or something but she says she isn't doing anything differently. Any ideas??

Do you buff before application?

I did with the brisa hard gel but never do with brisa lite or shellac

I just wanted to check as I get terrible natural nail splits at the side walls just above the hyponychium if I let anyone near my natural nails with a buffer.

All I can think is shes missing the extra strength and the nail is buckling under pressure, you might need to build more strength apex if she's getting extra length too now

That's why I liked the smoothing gel so much as I hate having to buff the nails. So annoying they've stopped doing it. It's been a while since I've done brisa hard gels so you may be right about needing more apex. Her nails are pretty short at the moment as we've kept them short to try and fix the problem. She does have a long nail bed though.

This happens to my nails too. I thought that buffing was necessary for the product to adhere? None of my clients have this problem - could it also be in relation to medication? I take anti depressants. Be nice to have a solution.

This happens to my nails too. I thought that buffing was necessary for the product to adhere? None of my clients have this problem - could it also be in relation to medication? I take anti depressants. Be nice to have a solution.

No buffing isn't always necessary, CND Brisa and Shellac specifically say in training materials that no buffing of the natural nail before application. This is the fastest way to overthin the natural nail and potentially cause long term damage. Buffed nails are thinned nail, thin nails are bendy and weak - this compromises your foundation.

Latest posts

Back