Professional or make your own website?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanilla

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

The question is in the title really. Just wanted to know how many of you have paid for a professional website and how many of you have made your own. Im thinking paying for a website makes it look more professional leading to more clients.

Im really unsure which free website builder to go with heard some are better than others. can anyone rec a good website designer idealy one that works with S0E.

Hi honey

I built my own website on moonfruit. O stupidly bought my domain name through mf but would have been much cheaper through 123.reg and I also pay for a business email address (well you get four in the package) I pay £8 per month but you can get that cheaper as explained above but I wanted to take my free site up a notch add paypal and I think I can have up to five sites- not that I need that many mind, but you could have a cheaper monthly plan I think. Im not saying it's the best but it works for me.

Mf uses html5 so can be viewed on pc, phone, tablet in the same format though I think you can opt for a mobile view if you want.

Here's my site www.thenailbeautique.co.uk I'm haply with it, I'm sure it could be made much better by a professional, after all im a nail stylist, not a web designer. But I get all my work (bar recommendations) through my site and everyone always comments on how much they like it.

Seo you can do yourself, god knows mine could be better but I rank on the first page position one or two, but it's worth bearing in mind im from quite a small area.

There are some great threads on here regarding websites and seo, including professional companies you can go to. Ruth Mills on here has her own web building business and I know a lot of geeks have fab sites built by her too.

Hth x x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Hi Geeks,

The question is in the title really. Just wanted to know how many of you have paid for a professional website and how many of you have made your own. Im thinking paying for a website makes it look more professional leading to more clients.

Im really unsure which free website builder to go with heard some are better than others. can anyone rec a good website designer idealy one that works with S0E.
I built my own for free with 50megs .com

Hi Happyfeet,

your website looks amazing cant believe you did it with moonfruit. you must be proud hope i can get mine looking just as nice.

I have looked into buying my name from 123reg then going with moonfruit for the website.

was the website diffcult to do? after seeing your website i think i will try a free one first. Then maybe look into getting a professional one at a later date.

I love your websites baggybear and happyfeet. I'm with streamline which costs me about £70 every two years. I've never had any problem with them and they've always replied really quickly when I need help.

I'm not a professional designer but the website brings me a lot of work. If you want a quick look it's Holistic and beauty treatments for women

I looked into having my site done for me, but found that people wanted to charge me a hosting fee of about £30 per month or charge ridiculous prices. One quote was for £3000. I did it myself on Weebly - Bliss & Beauty - Home and am very happy with it. I update it regularly and have complete control over it. Clients have found it easily and I can see how many people have looked at it and how they found it - ie 'beauty salon lutterworth' etc. A lot of the work is in writing about treatments etc and you would have to do that anyway. Like you, I think that one day I may pay someone, but I think the public want to know where you are, what you do and what you charge. They don't want or need super duper interactive whatevers. Hope that helps!

I desperately want my own website. Currently I have my beauty services advertised on the Hairdressers site and as much as I appreciate it it is a god awful site.

I wouldn't mind creating mine myself but I wouldnt be too sure where to start and I absolutely know that a professional could do a MUCH better job. I know I can have one designed for £200 which isnt too horrific BUT it's the monthly fees of £12 that seriously add up. I'm not even too sure what all the fees are for!

Do you think the business the site brings you far outweigh these costs?

I am in talks of having a banner and new pricelists done and I would love my own website to go on them!

I desperately want my own website. Currently I have my beauty services advertised on the Hairdressers site and as much as I appreciate it it is a god awful site.

I wouldn't mind creating mine myself but I wouldnt be too sure where to start and I absolutely know that a professional could do a MUCH better job. I know I can have one designed for £200 which isnt too horrific BUT it's the monthly fees of £12 that seriously add up. I'm not even too sure what all the fees are for!

I am in talks of having a banner and new pricelists done and I would love my own website to go on them!

I am sure we could save you money on your banner or price list printing.
In regards to website the monthly fees are for hosting and such.
£200 plus small monthly charge is about the cheapest you should pay for a half decent website.

Seriously, I'm no computer whizz. You need a domain name - try Weebly. You can buy the name for a few quid, and then you build your site. I had what was called a landing page. It was just a page that had my name address and contact details - a bit of nothing. I now direct people to my web page for latest prices, special offers, and I've linked it to Facebook and twitter. I've also had people book in from sitting at the computer at 2 in the morning and sending an email from my page. Please ask. Although I'm no expert, any help I can give, I will x

I'm just in the process of doing a web page - only just starting out self employed so dont really want to put too much money in till I know its going to take off - if I buy a domain from 123reg can I then make a sure on weebly for free using the domain address I use???
I'm confused :( it died t take much mind ha

Yes you can make your site on Weebly for free and then buy a domain name from 123 reg and point your site to the domain you bought.

It sounds hard but there are guides with pictures to follow on Weebly and it really is easy.

I made my own for salon I work in on weebly and bought the domain from 123.com. So simple and quite fun!!xx

I have a free website with Weebly and I bought my domain name from 123 reg.

I do not have a monthly bill. My site has only cost me for the domain name for 2 years & the £20 to get the lovely Carl from Verve to design my logo for me.

Glamour Puss. - Glamour Puss Mobile Tanning Waxing Minx Merthyr Tydfil

I did this too (except for the logo of course) - found it really easy and I can go play with it whenever I like - and you can see your stats on how many people are looking at your page etc.
www.partyfacepainter.co.uk
I'm trying to master facebook at the mo - and would really appreciate some likes if peeps have the time.....
www.facebook.com/pages/Party-Face-Painter/469013023168406

good luck lets see your link once you've done it..

:hug:

Think ill have a gander tonight - might be ready next year knowing me haa I'm no good at techy stuff wish me luck :)

I made my own via wix and converted it to HTML to show on iPads etc as I think this is important nowadays . I just wanted something simple www.emmamotionmakeup.co.uk. To get one made was extortionate and not in my budget so , had no option . But I have had lots of comment s on it from client s and they love hat it's clean and simple .

I downloaded some free software from serif called webplus (I think, not on my computer atm) but I designed my website myself which alot of time went into it, and I can update it whenever I feel.

www.sapphirehair.co.uk

I host through 5quid each year which only costs a 5quid (ironically) but buy my domain name for 2 years for around £9 for the 2 years. So its not too bad cost wise.
Hope this helps
X

I'm doing mine the hard way.

I did my original site long hand by writing in html. www.acuhome.co.uk
I'm doing my beauty site using a template from template monster, it cost me £40.00 and a lot of hard work. Should be going live next week!

This doesn't work on my phone very well.....

Latest posts

Back