Shellac ruining your nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flic22

Reaction score
Help me here! I have a 'friend' who is advising people I know that Shellac ruins your nails. Now I have NEVER did Shellac on her nails so I haven't ruined them. I tried explaining that Shellac requires no buffing of the natural nail, no buffing Shellac off and no soaking full finger tips in acetone, which she told me all had happened to her previously. She is telling me there is no difference in damage done by using the wraps for removal and is saying even lightly scraping the remaining polish off with an orange wood stick is damaging the nail plate.

Help me give her an answer!

She is partially correct in that if you push with the orange wood stick after the nails have been soaked whether correctly in wraps or incorrectly in acetone it will damage the nail plate. You could soak your fingers in acetone for an hour and it wouldn't damage your nails (not that I'm suggesting that's a good idea) look online for Doug Schoon's explanation of removal and damage it can cause to show her and set the record straight. Good luck in educating her x

Do you have Facebook? Do a post thoroughly explaining the Shellac system & loosely tie in why it doesn't cause any damage to the nail plate. Then get all of your friends to share. Do some case studies if you can where there's a pic of freshly applied Shellac then a pic of the same Shellaced nails just after removal. Job done. Knowledge is power

I think CND just issued an amendment to their removal technique saying that orange wood sticks are no longer needed in the removal process. Just wrap and firmly pull off the debris once soaked (if you are using nourishing remover and express 5) I personally hate express 5 and still use an orange wood stick to gently ease the rest off :)
Out of interest why is she make it her business to tell people it's damaging?! Is she competition?! Xx

I think CND just issued an amendment to their removal technique saying that orange wood sticks are no longer needed in the removal process. Just wrap and firmly pull off the debris once soaked (if you are using nourishing remover and express 5) I personally hate express 5 and still use an orange wood stick to gently ease the rest off :)
Out of interest why is she make it her business to tell people it's damaging?! Is she competition?! Xx

I've never heard that CND have amended the removal technique? I'm a trained CND tech so I wonder why I haven't received an email about this [emoji53]

I've never heard that CND have amended the removal technique? I'm a trained CND tech so I wonder why I haven't received an email about this [emoji53]
I trained with CND and I also have not been told of any amendment with regards to removal.

I trained with CND and I also have not been told of any amendment with regards to removal.

I also trained with CND and have received no such amendments to how I should be removing. Hopefully one of the CND Educators can advise us either way. X

With the CND Express 5 topcoat removal is slightly different to the original topcoat, because express5 is thinner and quicker for the acetone to penetrate we no longer need to use the orange wood stick for removal, any stubborn bits either wrap up again for another couple of minutes or use a plastic backed pad saturated with nourishing remover and give a good scrub. The removal of the new topcoat is amazing at it literally just allows the under layers to lift off easily. Again the only time there may be difficulty in removal is if you have applied your base coat too thick or you have applied two layers of topcoat.
All new and updated relevant information from CND can be found on CND.com as long as you are a CND pro you can register and keep yourselves uodated.
Hope this helps
Jen xx

With the CND Express 5 topcoat removal is slightly different to the original topcoat, because express5 is thinner and quicker for the acetone to penetrate we no longer need to use the orange wood stick for removal, any stubborn bits either wrap up again for another couple of minutes or use a plastic backed pad saturated with nourishing remover and give a good scrub. The removal of the new topcoat is amazing at it literally just allows the under layers to lift off easily. Again the only time there may be difficulty in removal is if you have applied your base coat too thick or you have applied two layers of topcoat.
All new and updated relevant information from CND can be found on CND.com as long as you are a CND pro you can register and keep yourselves uodated.
Hope this helps
Jen xx
Thanks Jen, do you find the new top coat lasts as well if it's thinner and acetone penetrates more easily? I've got clients who are cleaners and hairdressers, would the old top coat be more suitable for them? Thanks x

I also trained with CND and have received no such amendments to how I should be removing. Hopefully one of the CND Educators can advise us either way. X

I was advised by my EA that orange stocks were no longer required when removing with express 5, it didn't mention the regular topcoat. Maybe contact your EA as all CND EA's would have been circulated the same info?? Xx

Thanks for the info x

I was advised by my EA that orange stocks were no longer required when removing with express 5, it didn't mention the regular topcoat. Maybe contact your EA as all CND EA's would have been circulated the same info?? Xx
I was Claire's EA and she did her training a couple of years ago before the new topcoat and change to removal came out.
All EA's do have the same info you are correct.
But it also your responsibility to check in with CND.com periodically to see if there have been changed and updates when they bring out new products. Which is why all EA's mention CND.com and to register.

Claire I have had no issues with the new topcoat and have a couple of clients who are hairdressers. The only person who I have staining issues with is one client who goes 5-6 weeks between her shellac appointments and is a chain smoker . Because she is going 3-4 weeks over normal removal the smoke is discolouring the nails and even staining her nails yellow. So I would advise you warn any smokers to ensure they come back 2-3 weeks for reshellac.
Jen xx

Latest posts

Back