Should I have a credit card machine in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Loft

Reaction score
Good evening!

Obviously extremely new (first post) and just wondering if im in the right place for asking advice on a salon i'm opening 2nd Apr!?

Is this thread just private between the team or can everyone see this!??

Thanks

Sam

Hi Sam and welcome

Salon Geek is a public forum and anyone can see posts!

I work from home and have a card machine with Cardsave x

Simple question - how many times do you go out shopping and pay with your card instead of cash?

For me it is most of the time, and so I expect my clients would do the same so I have had a card machine for three years now.

Also with a card machine it is easier for clients to add on impulse purchases, such as recommended products at the end of an appointment. If they only bring enough cash you could be limiting your sales.

Mat

Most of the money I make comes in via my credit card/interac machine. People even leave me tips on it. I have some clients who purchase over $200 of products in one go. I don't know anyone who carries that amount of cash on them.

I would say most of my clients pay by card! well worth it! Looks more professional when a client goes to pay and you can offer this service!

Yes defiantly get a card machine! I've just ordered mine! So many people want to pay by card! And yes you will sell more products if you have a card facility! Card save seam to be the best deal I could find! Also if you mention me or the other girl who mentioned it. We get £50 vouchers!! Ee xxx

I'm looking into card machines at the mo for my mobile work. Would anybody be so kind as to pm with a rough price of what I should expect to pay please? :)

Hi thanks for all the replies! :)
I was kind of thinking it was a no brainer to get one but now it's all about finding the best deal with which company!!
I've so many things at the moment to get right i dont want the card machine to be one of the things i get wrong regarding percentage of cost etc!

J'ADORE,Who is your card machine with? I'd be happy for you to get a voucher with us mentioning you if we go with them?

Sam :)

I signed up with Streamline because they were far cheaper than anyone else i had canvassed. Easy to join too, they filled out the forms, no hassle.

Then FSB turned up with even better rates grrrrrrrrr and you get loads of legal advice etc too, but you have to join the FSB. They do cheap phone lines and calls for members too, so if you're just wetting put, it's worth a look.

M x

Thanks Mike,

I've sent FSB an email to join and they have sent me a reply with prices so i'm now just working out if the charge to them will outweigh the benefits!? I've been told that costco are only 1% on debit cards and 1 1/2% on credit.You also get 1% back on your yearly total spend in store! Wow its confusing setting up a salon!! :/

Thanks Mike,

I've sent FSB an email to join and they have sent me a reply with prices so i'm now just working out if the charge to them will outweigh the benefits!? I've been told that costco are only 1% on debit cards and 1 1/2% on credit.You also get 1% back on your yearly total spend in store! Wow its confusing setting up a salon!! :/

Costco take 11p off each transaction too and have a rule that you have to make £3000 worth of 11p's in a month otherwise you have to pay £30 or £35 for the terminal rental a month if the limits not met ok if yournot starting up not so good ifate

If you are, sorry sent that before finished. Xx

My machine is with card save! They were very helpfully when I rang and sent a rep out the. Next day to have a chat with me!! Honestly I think they are the best xxxx

Hmmm maybe i need to look at the finer details on tha costco one then!! Thanks for that!
Right .....tomorrow i am card machine brain washing myself haha :)
Thanks guys

Sam.

Hmmm maybe i need to look at the finer details on tha costco one then!! Thanks for that!
Right .....tomorrow i am card machine brain washing myself haha :)
Thanks guys

Sam.

I rang Costco to ask them as I was just about to get one myself just before I went to set it up my friend told me so I rang Costco and asked them and they said yeah it was true. Xx

Hi
Im very interested in this post, I am based within a salon and they have their own card machine and I'm cash only at the moment. I was under the impression I would need to put a phone line in, which the salon owner doesn't want if I wanted a machine, is that not the case? SS

Hello I have been in the business for 17 yrs and have had the mind set that if isn't broke don't fix it. However as the times have changed less and less are carrying their checkbooks I began feeling like it was becoming an irritant to some who would only carry a check for me or have to make a special stop at the bank for my service only. I began looking into card services and found their fees to be large and the length of their contracts to be forever. I found a little gem in the card services world. It's called square. Check it out it was the solution for me ?

Hello I have been in the business for 17 yrs and have had the mind set that if isn't broke don't fix it. However as the times have changed less and less are carrying their checkbooks I began feeling like it was becoming an irritant to some who would only carry a check for me or have to make a special stop at the bank for my service only. I began looking into card services and found their fees to be large and the length of their contracts to be forever. I found a little gem in the card services world. It's calle square. Check it out it was the solution for me ?

Looks good! But do your clients mind paying the 2.75% fee per transaction? x

I have had a card machine for the last 4 years, in the beginning because I rented space and was not near a cash machine. However, since January I now only take cheque or card as I had major ding-dongs with the card machine company over December and January when there were major delays in paying the money into my bank account. I could not operate without being confident the money would be paid when promised.

Because of the hassle and due to the fact that I have several cash machines within a few yards, I decided to see if I can go without one. To date, clients have been absolutely fine and don't mind paying by cash or cheque.

I now save £300+ per month and therefore can avoid putting up my prices. I am happy and my clients would rather pay by cash or cheque than pay more. I will keep an eye on it though and if necessary will get another machine in April.

If there is more than one person working in the salon and if you are not almost next door to a cash machine, I would say a card machine is vital.

Looks good! But do your clients mind paying the 2.75% fee per transaction? x

You shouldn't charge your clients the transaction fee ... how many times do you pay by card and pay a fee?

I would say that approximately 50% of my clients prefer to pay me by card. I know when I visit somewhere I much prefer to pay by card. Any associated fee's need to be included in the pricing of treatments.

Also I am personally not a fan of smartphone payment services. I don't think they look professional - I have a Chip & Pin terminal, and have even had clients ask when they pay by card if it is a Pin terminal as they have been to places that used paypal / iPhone apps and they didn't trust them.

Mat

Latest posts

Back