Should I have a credit card machine in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are any of you use the machines for home based salons? X

Looking into the Square app ... I'm impressed with it. Definitely seems the best of its kind out there, I guess would depend on how it is presented to clients for use.

But I still like my Chip & Pin, I get the money in three days (four or five for Amex) and its secure and I am protected against fraud.

Does anyone know where to get a square credit card reader for the uk?

Square is not available outside the USA.

Does anyone charge for using their card machine? I know a lot of small businesses do as the charges for the machine are quite high if you add all the costs up wonder whether its worth getting one or not.

No - personally I don't like companies that do. I never have charged clients for using their card.

Fozzy would you do a minimum spend instead of a charge as such?

Hi

I rent beauty rooms within a hair salon and do a bit of mobile. I've only been up and running for two weeks and, as expected barely making any money at the moment because I'm starting from scratch.

Most clients have asked if I take cards and I find the conversation about finding the nearest cashpoint a little cringy and unprofessional (although I don't make it come across like that to the client).

So, I'm looking at getting a mobile terminal.

Anyone have any experience of these?

You shouldn't charge your clients the transaction fee ... how many times do you pay by card and pay a fee?

I would say that approximately 50% of my clients prefer to pay me by card. I know when I visit somewhere I much prefer to pay by card. Any associated fee's need to be included in the pricing of treatments.

Also I am personally not a fan of smartphone payment services. I don't think they look professional - I have a Chip & Pin terminal, and have even had clients ask when they pay by card if it is a Pin terminal as they have been to places that used paypal / iPhone apps and they didn't trust them.

Mat

Yeah your right, i've never been charged! I know some places do charge customers a fee though! It does put me off getting a machine because of contracts and charges but I see that it should be incorporated into the costs when deciding treatment prices :) ! I'm still torn whether to go for one or not but luckily I this time to think about it!

I do charge at small transaction fee of $1 to offset the %fee. There are a number of small business in my area that do this. I feel it is a convince to offer a card service, as they do not have to use it. I do have a cash machine close by however it charges .75-1.50 per transaction unless your bank reverses those charges it is standard in the US for ATMs to charge keep an eye out that. I was unaware of for many years. To address the safety concern I'm not sure what concern there is I often hand my card to wait staff and watch them walk away with it they could easily compromise my number and "secret code" using a phone terminal it never leaves your sight and after explaining the safety of that to customers they never have concerns. Hope this all helps

Looks good! But do your clients mind paying the 2.75% fee per transaction? x

You're not serious, right?

If I were charged a fee when I went to a salon/store/whatever, I would never, ever return.

I have one and it's the best thing I ever did. We didn't have it for the first month and had clients come in, see we didn't have one and leave because they wanted to pay by credit card. I managed to negotiate a good deal on my card machine rental but obviously still have the 2.1% for credit cards and 21p for debit cards. My card machine fees are incorporated into my break even target so I don't really feel it. And I think it has helped us win customers from the salons that don't take cards.

I have a mobile terminal so I can take cards anywhere it's brilliant ;)

I have one and it's the best thing I ever did. We didn't have it for the first month and had clients come in, see we didn't have one and leave because they wanted to pay by credit card. I managed to negotiate a good deal on my card machine rental but obviously still have the 2.1% for credit cards and 21p for debit cards. My card machine fees are incorporated into my break even target so I don't really feel it. And I think it has helped us win customers from the salons that don't take cards.

You are paying FAR too much.

Look at this company for much better rates.
Why Card Compliance Service? By Card Compliance Service

To address the safety concern I'm not sure what concern there is I often hand my card to wait staff and watch them walk away with it they could easily compromise my number and "secret code" using a phone terminal it never leaves your sight and after explaining the safety of that to customers they never have concerns. Hope this all helps

If that's so to avoid any type of fraud (sorry presuming here) there are companies that deal with this as part of the Payment Card Industry Council, the 2 major card companies well a few of them but just stating the 2 biggest Mastercard and Visa I think also AMEX (American Express) where involved with this too. By where they all agreed on a standard that to avoid blind chargebacks especially on the Internet but also branching out on their terminal networks of the transaction companies like Paypoint or who ever are your provider (the people you pay rent to).

I won't go into it as there's way too much info on this but this is a bit about this: PCI DSS compliant payment solutions | PayPoint.net

Though security scanning in itself can be quite costly something I do with Nessus myself on the applications I write that deal with customer stored info, but I think card terminals fall part of the standard too, but I can not quite remember.

If you're running a business then you should have a business bank account anyway. I assume you do?

If you're running a business then you should have a business bank account anyway. I assume you do?

Would love a business bank account but can't get one. (Tried to open one with who I bank with and was declined). It's not a legal requirement to have business account. However I have been led to understand that the likes if Cardsave require you to have a business account.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I don't have a card machine and have been open since April last year. It does get awkward occasionally. My salon isn't covering its own costs at the minute so until it gets busier we won't be getting a card machine. Most people don't mind at all, and we try to tell everyone when booking that we only accept cash at present.

I was looking into HSBC's card machine and they say there is a minimum amount of charges I think it's about £20 - so even if you don't use it you have £20 in fees and then the terminal hire! That's more than my landline and broadband!

Latest posts

Back