Should I have a credit card machine in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you set up the PayPal thing?

Princesskiki, it is nailsxpress.co.uk You just go onto Paypal.co.uk and set up your account with an email address etc. No cost, freeeeeee. Then go to the section to create a button on your website. There are several to choose from. The html coding is all there to install on your website. So easy. Took my first payment through it today and it all went very smoothly. Both myself and the client even received an email with an invoice/receipt for proof of payment and receipt etc. As soon as I did the transaction I checked my paypal account and the money was already there. Clear funds to transfer into your own bank account whenever you want to or you can use the funds in paypal to pay for purchases too.

So far so good. If I come across any problems then I will post on here to let everyone know.

The only thing that might crop up is if there is no signal to my mobile. So far I have not had that problem as it is 3G and I can link to the owners wifi if they tell me the code.

That's great. Thanks Nailsxpress. Will look into it.
Kiki xx

Hi, Can I be cheeky and ask what website this is please?
I'm hoping to set up mobile and to be able to pay by card would be a real advantage.
Many thanks. Xx

I would also like to know how to do this. ;)

As for card machines.. I was going through xln but had many problems with providing them with a satisfactory utility bill as ID.. There seemed to be constant issues with whatever I was sending them (personal name not business, spelling mistake, not full business name printed..etc) .. It was just getting petty, then I was on google trying to find their telephone number and came across card cutters who offered me a fab deal so I've now gone with them and fingers crossed should have my machine Wednesday :) .. Full process gone through in a week. If anyone wants their details or to know the prices I'm paying, PM me xxx
I had EXACTLY the same problem with XLN. I gave up in the end. I'm still with streamline and paying a small fortune every month. Need to start looking elsewhere for a better deal.

Cardsave are also through streamline x

We're with Barclaycard, they'll basically all price match each other. Tell your prospected supplier that you've had a better quote elsewhere and they'll match it. We got a fantastic deal, 17p Debit, 1.6% Credit and £15 month terminal rental, plus 2 boxes of till rolls as a gesture of goodwill!!

Hi

We applied for a merchant account and card machine with chipandpinsolutions.co.uk We received our machine within 10 days of applying

We pay £26.99 rental per month (as it is a GPRS machine) and 16p for debit and 1.5% for credit card transactions.

We were delighted with the service and after 3 weeks have taken over £400 in card payments, most of which are people putting it on their credit card!

Much more potential and as people have mentioned, more impulse buying is possible!

Thanks

We went for cardsave as we'd originally had PayPal but they shut us down without notice saying we were selling prescription meds (which we aren't!) but you can't even appeal it.

Also another word of warning about PayPal. The 'websites standard' version of their payment solution is 'free' ie no monthly rental. However, it is designed for customers to buy items on their own computers.

After a month of using it, they also shut us down as they noticed all or most payments were coming from the same ip address, my iPad, which is against their rules.

It was embarrassing to say the least and I lost three clients over it!

As for card save, I've read this thread and we're not on the cheapest rate I now realise. We've been quoted £29.99 a month plus 3.5% for credit cards and 25p per debit. They're also dragging their feet over I'D documents and it's been five weeks since we signed up and still no machine :-(

I really need it ASAP and I'm considering contacting them to renegotiate. Normally I would cancel immediately with this level of cust service (you wait around 10-15 mins on the phone when you have to call them) but we can't afford to start over again with another company as the three clients I lost in one week totalled £850.

I just hope it arrives soon!

I have a card machine & now my salon is at home, I wouldn't be without it as I'm not near to any cash points anymore.

I also find it great for taking customer not present deposits for my pamper parties & product orders.

I would say though for those who are looking at the minefield of sussing out card providers, make sure you look at ALL the costs involved.

You may be quoted a really good rate for debit/credit card transactions but you also need to check if there's a minimum monthly fee.

Some companies charge £20+ per month in fees, even if the actual cost has only been £13.00 for eg.

So sometimes it may seem that you're paying a high transaction fee but the monthly fees are low....

I have a card machine & now my salon is at home, I wouldn't be without it as I'm not near to any cash points anymore.

I also find it great for taking customer not present deposits for my pamper parties & product orders.

I would say though for those who are looking at the minefield of sussing out card providers, make sure you look at ALL the costs involved.

You may be quoted a really good rate for debit/credit card transactions but you also need to check if there's a minimum monthly fee.

Some companies charge £20+ per month in fees, even if the actual cost has only been £13.00 for eg.

So sometimes it may seem that you're paying a high transaction fee but the monthly fees are low....

I think there's a distinct lack of clear information for us to make a proper comparison. I like to think I'm a really savvy consumer but I did find it very hard to get the info I needed without having to give all my personal info! We should get Martin Lewis on the case!

I think there's a distinct lack of clear information for us to make a proper comparison. I like to think I'm a really savvy consumer but I did find it very hard to get the info I needed without having to give all my personal info! We should get Martin Lewis on the case!

Yes, I know what you mean! T'is a minefield.
You'd think these merchant sites would be more transparent with their fees etc without you having to tell your life story.

I guess they just say rates, fees etc are down to personal circumstance & what your projected turnover is likely to be.

Would be good to get a ball park figure clearly online though...

Yes, I know what you mean! T'is a minefield.
You'd think these merchant sites would be more transparent with their fees etc without you having to tell your life story.

I guess they just say rates, fees etc are down to personal circumstance & what your projected turnover is likely to be.

Would be good to get a ball park figure clearly online though...

Exactly! I mean look at money supermarket.com you can compare loads of things but on this type of product it's a minefield which makes me think it's deliberate!

I think you have just answered my question posted this morning.
It's just a shame tht I am not salon based yet

You shouldn't charge your clients the transaction fee ... how many times do you pay by card and pay a fee?

I would say that approximately 50% of my clients prefer to pay me by card. I know when I visit somewhere I much prefer to pay by card. Any associated fee's need to be included in the pricing of treatments.

Also I am personally not a fan of smartphone payment services. I don't think they look professional - I have a Chip & Pin terminal, and have even had clients ask when they pay by card if it is a Pin terminal as they have been to places that used paypal / iPhone apps and they didn't trust them.

Mat

hi i know this thread is old now but for anyone still looking at it there is a link by lynne baker on here for ccs i called them today and found the really usefull anyone wanting some information please call matthew rodgers on 01618207059 and he will give you all the help and advice you need lovley chap.

Yep, again, happy to recommend CCS. Good service, great rates, and thoroughly nice chaps to do business with!
I would urge all of you to at least contact them and see if they can better your current rate.
They've saved me a lot!

We're with Barclaycard, they'll basically all price match each other. Tell your prospected supplier that you've had a better quote elsewhere and they'll match it. We got a fantastic deal, 17p Debit, 1.6% Credit and £15 month terminal rental, plus 2 boxes of till rolls as a gesture of goodwill!!

Was there a set up fee for this?

hi i know this thread is old now but for anyone still looking at it there is a link by lynne baker on here for ccs i called them today and found the really usefull anyone wanting some information please call matthew rodgers on 01618207059 and he will give you all the help and advice you need lovley chap.

I will give them a try thanks. Always looking to cut my costs x

We have a portable terminal, which is £17.50 a month

Credit cards 1.3%

Debit cards 15p

Minimum monthly charges is £5, so pretty easy to reach.

18 month contract, monthly rolling after that with 30 days notice. early termination is £150, and no initial set up fees.

All this with HSBC. And if you bank with them, today's transactions, in your account tomorrow.

So I was originally going with card save and had almost set up all but now decided against it. I'd love to go with lloydstsb cardnet as I bank with them. Have anyone gone with them? Also which of these banks or card machine take AMEX?? As I have looked into it and it seems not too many. If you machines doesn't take AMEX have you found this affects business?

Latest posts

Back