Should I have a credit card machine in salon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think i can safely say that i will be making sure we provide the facility for a credit card machine after reading through these replies and i thank you all for your advice!
The few things i have felt clear on are that i will be needing to have a minimum transaction amount,due to the charges from the bank.
Also i think that the customers will be more inclined to take further treatments if they don't 'see' the cash coming out from their purse!

Now the hard part....which company to go with :confused: !!!!

It sounds like card save may be the best option although i am interested in the square thingy on the iphone which i am going to get more info on and will let you know whoever is interested in that too!

You will presumably have a merchant account with a bank? Then you are fine really I mean the QSA companies do not ask for this.

I mean I am a freelance web developer, I don't have a merchant account yet work do and when I was going about starting off the scanning of our terminals they never actually asked about any merchant account.

The only thing I should warn you though is there's actually 2 forms of checks they do, one where they try scan your network (I mean most of mine's from a Internet prospective, but it's the same in a sense for the terminals as well, since you are seen as a branch on their network), I think from memory that was roughly between, well I didn't see any quotes above £200 maybe £250 put it like that.

The penetration testing which does not have to be by a QSA just someone skilled enough to do that work of actually trying to break into the network, again most of this is from my own perspective that's allot more costly but puts your mind at ease in a sense, there's different bands to how many times you are checked for any security flaws which again I can not remember.

They won't give you any quotes on here but there's a general guide on here the sort of actual councils website:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/

Though I have to say Paypoints now changed from sysnet and have an online assessement over your requirements, they asked for a merchant account, some will I think some won't.

But the penetration testings is always the most costly, but compare about £2,000 with a fraud forensics network team being paid roughly according to my contact at Sysnet (which I have not spoken to for a while) would cost the credit card companies at least £20,000 per day on average, it's about £2,000 an hour they charge if a customer reports a fraudulent transaction it's not cheap.

Also once you are PCI Compliant some QSA's will do the penetration testing as part of the whole deal and give you insurance should a breach of the network take place, of which you will pay an upfront fee for but they end up paying the whole cost of a fraud team.

I hope this is actually making some sense it's a hazy area to go into since network security always is but it just saves you from the possible threat, though I do have to say not allot of companies in the world at large are actually PCI Complaint to be brutally honest with you, infact much less than half still.

This was the case I was warned about: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2008/03/18/hannaford_data_breach/

Here's some general help on the matter: http://www.info4security.com/story.asp?storycode=4123335

There's about 3 charges you are given some of them multiple, if a breach occurs any fraud that's actually commited as a result of the breach is then refunded to by the merchant (if it was the merchants fault Visa are a pain for this, they try to blame the merchant as much as possible), a charge is then applied to each transaction that's refunded and then the fraud network forensics team put their charge on it, I can't remember how much TK Maxx where charged but it was not cheap, but then their a big merchant you're most likely not.

Last edited:
Yes I am home based x

And how do you find it financially wise? I am starting my home based salon and I am not sure when is the best time/ if I should go for it?

Ok, I am really sorry to resurrect though I do need some advice and I used the search function first... :biggrin:

I have been online for the last half hour trying to find a GOOD comparison site. I found one but it looks US based.

Other sites won't release any info unless I enter my email address and I am reluctant as I am sooo sick of all the cold call emails I get. Between buying the latest beauty product from Hong Kong to enlarging my penis, it is getting quite tiresome going through my emails. :rolleyes:

I don't have a penis by the way :confused:

Anyway, on all the other searches CCS and Card Save seem to be the most popular.

Can anyone give me a recommendation?

I'm looking for a wireless PDQ machine that I don't have to pay a fortune for just to get the equipment, then obviously a low rate etc etc

I am currently a Guild member and they offer low cost card solutions, but I'm just not sure.

I'd rather not have clients pay transaction charges, I have paid myself in the past but I find it annoying that I have to pay for the privilage of using my own card/money. Bit like double jeopardy so I don't want to inflict that on my clients.

I do have a business account with Barclays that I have recently opened and that seemed the best deal I could find as I am an existing personal customer. They do PDQ machines but I wanted to have a good shop around first.

All advice greatly appreciated

H x

Last edited:
I currently use Card Save. I have to say although I did have a system with HSBC prior to this it was unused and useless. What I found was that every single provider wanted to charge you a fortune for the machine and then ridiculous percentages per transaction or to have low charges per transaction then you had to sign up to 5 year contracts.

I have to say I really dug my heels in with the companies that were pushy for me to sign up. Card save kept calling periodically and I said I would see them when I wasn't busy. I was given the charges per month. The charges per transaction and then the set up costs. I told them what I was willing to pay and if they could match those prices with free set up and only a one year contract then I was in!
My requirements were met a 1 year contract, free set up and unit, a reasonable monthly charge and reasonable fees. In comparison to what some of my neighbouring properties are paying I am pleased. It's an absolute god send and no more embarrassing moments having to send clients across the road to the cash point.
Have you tried googling the term ' pdq providers' ? Hopefully some should come up and you could possibly call them? Xx

I currently use Card Save. I have to say although I did have a system with HSBC prior to this it was unused and useless. What I found was that every single provider wanted to charge you a fortune for the machine and then ridiculous percentages per transaction or to have low charges per transaction then you had to sign up to 5 year contracts.

I have to say I really dug my heels in with the companies that were pushy for me to sign up. Card save kept calling periodically and I said I would see them when I wasn't busy. I was given the charges per month. The charges per transaction and then the set up costs. I told them what I was willing to pay and if they could match those prices with free set up and only a one year contract then I was in!
My requirements were met a 1 year contract, free set up and unit, a reasonable monthly charge and reasonable fees. In comparison to what some of my neighbouring properties are paying I am pleased. It's an absolute god send and no more embarrassing moments having to send clients across the road to the cash point.
Have you tried googling the term ' pdq providers' ? Hopefully some should come up and you could possibly call them? Xx

Many come up but no-one around due to Easter break... I was swaying toward Cardsave anyway to be fair, but CCS looks really good too.

I think I'll avoid the High St banks - way too many bad experiences I'm reading in all the threads on this subject x

I am with cardsave and have a mobile machine. No probs so far. My only advise would be is to check the small print and make sure you understand what it means.

Lilian

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

I am with cardsave and have a mobile machine. No probs so far. My only advise would be is to check the small print and make sure you understand what it means.

Lilian

I'm going to contact them now, requesting some info.

Thank you all x

Umm this is an interesting topic. I've had my salon for 1 year now and only except cash. Which does stop clients impulse buying products. But we have a cash machine 2 minute walk away so if they want something else they nip to the machine.
I'm still undecided wether to get a card machine though. The charges ect scare me. It's just another expense? But I do kind of want one :-/ The salon I used to work in charged 50p for every transaction n clients paid it as they did have the choice to pay by cash. Umm don't no what to do x

Umm this is an interesting topic. I've had my salon for 1 year now and only except cash. Which does stop clients impulse buying products. But we have a cash machine 2 minute walk away so if they want something else they nip to the machine.
I'm still undecided wether to get a card machine though. The charges ect scare me. It's just another expense? But I do kind of want one :-/ The salon I used to work in charged 50p for every transaction n clients paid it as they did have the choice to pay by cash. Umm don't no what to do x

I too had cash points a matter of minutes away which was fine in the summer but in autumn/ winter no body wanted to nip to the cash points and plus there is always the risk of a client forgetting you are cash only and not returning after a visit to the cash point. Although it never happened to me I have heard of it happening.
With regards to charging the clients a transaction charge I believe that this once used to be common practice in smaller establishments but is now not allowed.
The charges really are minimal per transaction, you could do a price increase per treatment to incorporate your charges. I have to say a card machine for me has been an absolute godsend in increasing revenue xx

When i looked at my business plan and expenses I decided that it was part of these. I don't charge anything for clients to use a card. I have included the cost of the card machine in my overall costs for my treatments.

Lilian

I don't want to sound silly but when a client is paying with their card does the phone line still work?

I only ask because my mum once worked in a shop where that was just the case so if she was the phone to a customer and other customer in the shop wanted to pay by card one of the other had to wait (I'd just like to add it's not like that now!)

xx

I don't want to sound silly but when a client is paying with their card does the phone line still work?

I only ask because my mum once worked in a shop where that was just the case so if she was the phone to a customer and other customer in the shop wanted to pay by card one of the other had to wait (I'd just like to add it's not like that now!)

xx

Not sure to be honest. I have a mobile machine so it's not an issue anyway. I am sure someone will be along in a minute who will know.

xx

This is the case yes.. Unless you have 2 phone lines..
It's not really an issue for a small salon though because if you're using the card machine and someone tries calling the salon then the salon will just appear engaged for a second.. If its the other way round and you're on the phone, quite often you wouldn't be serving at the same time, so by which time you take the payment from the customer in the salon, you'll be off the phone..
The only thing is you won't be able to take payments or deposits over the phone as this would involve using both the.card machine and phone line at the same time but through the same 1 phone line Xx

As for card machines.. I was going through xln but had many problems with providing them with a satisfactory utility bill as ID.. There seemed to be constant issues with whatever I was sending them (personal name not business, spelling mistake, not full business name printed..etc) .. It was just getting petty, then I was on google trying to find their telephone number and came across card cutters who offered me a fab deal so I've now gone with them and fingers crossed should have my machine Wednesday :) .. Full process gone through in a week. If anyone wants their details or to know the prices I'm paying, PM me xxx

Hi All

Does anyone have any experience with Payzone?

I had a rep come in yesterday with what seemed like a good deal on a mobile terminal and obviously 100s of happy customers!

Just wanted to see what people thought on here.

Thanks

:)

I can get to my website on my mobile. I have set up a PayPal button on it so that I can accept cards. The only charge is about 3% of each transaction. Ie I just took £30 and £28.78 arrived in my account immediately. No monthly charges on top. Then they spent the original £20 cash with me that they already had with them. so yes definitely makes them impulse buy. Love it!

I am with cardsave and have never had any problems I have a mobile machine so can take it anywhere.

I can get to my website on my mobile. I have set up a PayPal button on it so that I can accept cards. The only charge is about 3% of each transaction. Ie I just took £30 and £28.78 arrived in my account immediately. No monthly charges on top. Then they spent the original £20 cash with me that they already had with them. so yes definitely makes them impulse buy. Love it!

Hi, Can I be cheeky and ask what website this is please?
I'm hoping to set up mobile and to be able to pay by card would be a real advantage.
Many thanks. Xx

I am with elevan and they are great, the guy who came to see me at my salon did a great deal with me and I am really happy.

If you want details let me know

Latest posts

Back