silk wraps on natural nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladybgemini

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help,

I have a client whose nails have been ruined by a NSS place and she has had a few manicures since taking the acrylics off but now wants silk wraps on her natural nails for a week before having tips on for a 'do'.

i have only done a few odd nail repairs on natural nails and not a full set before.

I know in the past that one or two of my clients have said that the wrap only stayed on for about 4 days, on very short nails. Is there something in this?

Does the length of the nail dictate how long the wrap stays on for?
Is there any way of making them last longer on short nails or not?
Or am I being duped by the old tooth removal thing by the few clients that hace said they didn't stay on for long?

I am not concerned about my prep, I follow the Creative prep to a T.

Rachel

a lot of the 'staying on' myth is down to capping the free edge when using fibreglass.
it depends on which fibreglass system you use as to how strong the overlay will be...
providing you have a tiny free edge to 'cap' then I don't see why a fibreglass overlay won't last as long as a tip and overlay enhancement.
as long as you don't have soft tissue contact you should be alright, using a brush on resin as opposed to a nozzle application is IMO better as nozzle resins can cause flooding on the nail plate if you're not really careful and lead to lifting problems but other than that everything should be alright.

i do my nat nails with silk wraps often and they are usually ok for 2 weeks. do a thorough prep just as you would for l/p. make sure to build a little at apex for strength. try making sure hands are pointing downwards when applying your resin to prevent cuticle flooding. i use a gel topcoat to seal it all in and i think this really improves the durability.

Hiya - just thought I'd add my thoughts...

I have and my clients worn Wraps sucessfully for two weeks between appointments with no lifting or peeling of the application on natural nails and I used to wear mine too long:smack:

Yes wraps aren't as strong as L&P by their chemistry but if applied correctly and of course if looked after then they can last no problems.

I wonder if your clients that only have been in contact with water too much as this can lead to the system breaking down.

One of my clients was loosing hers as she was working with Rubber Gloves on to much and the moisture was playing havoic with her wraps.

But as they girls say lenght does not dictate if they stay on or not.

HTH

Can someone explain the capping the free edge, I know how this works with gel system but not sure with fabric#.

I use Fabric# system which I love. I'll see how it goes with this client on Monday. She is booked in the following week to ave a full set on so as long as they last a week she should be ok. Thanks for your help.

rachel

ladybgemini said:
Can someone explain the capping the free edge, I know how this works with gel system but not sure with fabric#.

I use Fabric# system which I love. I'll see how it goes with this client on Monday. She is booked in the following week to ave a full set on so as long as they last a week she should be ok. Thanks for your help.

rachel

It means taking the resins over the free edge and seeling the end all products have shrinkage and if this is not done you risk chipping at the free edge

HTH

PS I use Fabric

How do you build an apex with fiberglass or silk wraps? I was never taught this on my training.

andrelax said:
How do you build an apex with fiberglass or silk wraps? I was never taught this on my training.

I use boost the 3rd stage in the fabric# system - this has a thicker viscosity and gives great shape to the apex. HTH

PS not all wrap systems have this due to it only being a one step resin...

you can usually obtain a thicker gel consistency in most resin brands. the one i use is millenium, and though its a very inexpensive line it compares well with backscratchers that i used in the past and the price difference is quite considerable.

Latest posts

Back