Stepson's dilemma in barber shop

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beckybee

Reaction score
a bit of background...
My stepson is a barber, he rents a chair along with 3 other barbers. There is also the owner, so that makes 5 barbers in total. All the rent a chairs pay £200 each per week (5 days). The owner operates on a appointment system for himself and the rest have the next in line of the walkins.

As every barber has a day off (they are open on a Monday) he's come up with the idea of getting another rent a chair to come in and use the empty chair when someone is off.
He also is on about converting a very small back room to house another rent a chair...

While the shop is very busy at times, it simply cannot cope with 1 extra barber let alone 2. All the owner sees is there's chance to get an extra £400 per week in rent.

The rent a chairs do make good money, sometimes doing 20 cuts aday, but not everyday.. 1 extra barber will see a drop of at least 4 cuts each per day

I've mentioned about all of them having it out with the owner, but he seems the person to let them go at a drop of a hat just to earn a few extra pounds in rent.

Your thoughts and suggestions please

£200 a week sounds a lot unless he based in London or other large city?
As they're self employed, it's up to them to negotiate with the owner so if they aren't willing to stick together then their only option is to find a cheaper shop.

Maybe they can lease the shop next door? ;)

The £200 per week is not a bad chair rent BUT that's if the clientele is there to earn the money. My sister had his problem when she rented a chair in the city centre, a hair salon that was busy for three stylists then the owner set on another two, takings went down drastically and the client pinching started. In then end she got left with one stylist and a bad one at that. I'd suggest they take their own accounts to the owner and explain together that if another two barbers rent a chair there simply won't be enough money to take home a wage.

If they fancied it, for that money, they could easily open their own shop!
They need to speak to him. It sounds like he's making a lot of money from them. If they stick together he would hopefully listen.

Vic x

If they fancied it, for that money, they could easily open their own shop!
They need to speak to him. It sounds like he's making a lot of money from them. If they stick together he would hopefully listen.

Vic x

He has had a word with the lads, the other 3 seem to think it won't effect them that much, they can't seem to get that adding another 2 barbers with no extra clients will see their takings reduced by a third.

The owner is very money hungry and controlling. He will not allow the chairs to give out business cards or advertise. Yet he does nothing to bring more clients in.

It's very frustrating.

Excuse me for saying, but your step son needs to grow some.......
He has the option of:
Seeing how things go....or
Going it alone!:cool:

Latest posts

Back