Teeth whitening - legal or illegal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paris Goodwin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at doing the Amabelle Lovelite teeth whitening training, but I've researched and found that this is illegal as I am not a Trained Dental Nurse/Dentist. However, I have myself had a lady come over and perform the teeth whitening. I'm confused? The product is less than 0.1% peroxide which is legal and you are able to buy kits on the Internet?

You MUST be trained to get insurance and it is illegal to perform teeth whitening unless you are a trained dentist or dental nurse. There have been court cases suing those doing teeth whitening without the dental qualification.

There are a lot of threads on here. Have a search, but as @Baggybear says, it's illegal. There's a lot of debate about the level of of peroxide but it seems that whatever you use, it's illegal x

One of my clients had a qualified therapist (not dentist) come to her home to do teeth whitening. It resulted in my client having to have root canal treatment and her dentist contacted the dental council in London who are supporting my client to sue. If you opt to have a whitening treatment, check that they are on the dental practioners list.

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing the Amabelle Lovelite teeth whitening training, but I've researched and found that this is illegal as I am not a Trained Dental Nurse/Dentist. However, I have myself had a lady come over and perform the teeth whitening. I'm confused? The product is less than 0.1% peroxide which is legal and you are able to buy kits on the Internet?

Amabelle used to be lovelite before that company went bust. Lovelite had people prosecuted for teeth whitening http://www.kentonline.co.uk/medway/news/woman-in-court-for-offering-36912/. http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/bogus-newcastle-dentist-fined-illegal-9819745
Those now have a criminal record as well as the fine. They paid thousands for training and were assured what they did was legal.

Lovelite also sold illegal gels http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/teeth-whitening-scandal-dental-clinics-5749271

It doesn't matter what you use or how you use if you are not a dentist it is illegal. If prosecuted you will get a fine and a criminal conviction.

Just to add that selling the whitening kits isn't illegal so that's how they 'get away' with it.

If you know someone isn't trained in dentistry how can you report them? Is there a certain way to go about doing it?

Just to add that selling the whitening kits isn't illegal so that's how they 'get away' with it.

It isn't illegal to sell kits with less than 0.1% hydrogen peroxide. Selling anything over this eg crest strips is illegal. However if you "advice,instruct or counsel" in teeth whitening eg take a medical history, take a shade, open a packet ,position a lamp , demonstrate how to do it you have broken the law. Here is one beauticians story http://glowsaltash.com/teeth-whitening-update-at-glow/#more-1401

Can you be anonymous this way though? X
Try phoning the GDC number posted on the previous link and ask . You can be anonymous with a phone call.

I know you are okay to do it as long as it is is a self administered teeth whitening treatment. As long as you do not touch the client at all during the treatment and that you are passing stuff over to the client and they are administering and opening there own teeth whitening products and applying them to themselves it is allowed. They are signing a disclaimer to self administer and as long as the peroxide is under 0.1ml again this is allowed. Dentists can only use the higher levers of peroxide.
Look into naturawhite

I know you are okay to do it as long as it is is a self administered teeth whitening treatment. As long as you do not touch the client at all during the treatment and that you are passing stuff over to the client and they are administering and opening there own teeth whitening products and applying them to themselves it is allowed. They are signing a disclaimer to self administer and as long as the peroxide is under 0.1ml again this is allowed. Dentists can only use the higher levers of peroxide.
Look into naturawhite

Dont be silly. You've been sold a big fat lie. See Faye Hill in my second post below.

Last edited:
Why o why o why would you NOT go to a TRAINED DENTIST to get your very precious teeth whitened???!!!???:rolleyes:
If you are not a dentist....DON'T DABBLE IN IT.....DON'T DO IT:cool:

I must say it makes me MAD, when all the beauty shows PROMOTE this service, like it's perfectly O.K. to offer it....it is VERY misleading.:mad:

In the UK the GDC will prosecute everyone who offers this service. This info below is from the General Dental Council website. They are an extremely wealthy organisation and can afford to prosecute everyone who is reported to them, no matter how small a business you are.
Don't believe the lies from the teeth whitening training companies. They are despicable and should all be jailed for the misery they cause to innocent and sadly gullible salon owners.

image.png

Last edited:
Dont be silly. You've been sold a big fat lie. See Faye Hill in my second post below.

Don't think there's any need to be so rude is there?

Don't think there's any need to be so rude is there?

Sorry, if you felt my reply was a tad rude.

However, despite a detailed reply to the original OP, you're the one happily ignoring all advice to the contrary and telling everyone on this thread that in your 'expert opinion', it's perfectly legal to offer teeth whitening because some dodgy teeth whitening company rep has managed to con you.

How much money have you already invested/lost?

Perhaps you'd prefer if we let you carry on in blissful ignorance and post a new thread a few months down the line when you received a legal summons?

Also, how many other readers of this thread might have been persuaded by your confident post to part with their cash for a bogus scam?

Sorry, if you felt my reply was a tad rude.

However, despite a detailed reply to the original OP, you're the one happily ignoring all advice to the contrary and telling everyone on this thread that in your 'expert opinion', it's perfectly legal to offer teeth whitening because some dodgy teeth whitening company rep has managed to con you.

How much money have you already invested/lost?

Perhaps you'd prefer if we let you carry on in blissful ignorance and post a new thread a few months down the line when you received a legal summons?

Also, how many other readers of this thread might have been persuaded by your confident post to part with their cash for a bogus scam?

It is 100% legal and insured because
• it's a non peroxide gel
• no contact is being made with the clients mouth by the technician .
•nno dental advice is being given
So basically the person is treating themselves! Is this illegal, in this case every person who uses a home whitening kit is breaking the law? Maybe then so is brushing your teeth.

It is 100% legal and insured because
• it's a non peroxide gel
• no contact is being made with the clients mouth by the technician .
•nno dental advice is being given
So basically the person is treating themselves! Is this illegal, in this case every person who uses a home whitening kit is breaking the law? Maybe then so is brushing your teeth.

Suit yourself. :)

Latest posts

Back