Thin, peeling nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEveBrown

Mary
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have thin peeling nails and they are driving me insane. I keep trying product after product but with no results. I keep them hydrated. I file them without the sawing motion and I use a crystal nail file. I'm literally following all of the tips I get. Please help!

There are so many factors when it comes to thin peeling nails. It could be due to internal or external reasons.
Low iron deficiency
Poor diet
Using chemicals without gloves
There are so many reasons as to why. Once you work out why then you can find whats right to use.

Are you asking as a nail pro or consumer? It may make a difference to the advice you receive x

What products do u use. If u try cnd shellac u don't need to file the nails as this will make them thinner. Also cnd do a brisa lite smoothing gel which is great for clients with thin peeling nails. This can be applied under the shellac and give added strength too x

Forgot to say I'm a professional and have been using shellac since it came out x

I wouldnt be applying anything to your nails until they are healthy again. The removal of shellac will dry your nails out even further and cause more harm than good. Focus on getting them healthy again. Usually a good protein treatment helps but like i said, you need to find the reason as to why your nails are like this in the first place before treating them.

Have you tried IBX?

I haven't tried IBX yet. I'm a consumer. I take iron supplements, eat a balanced diet, and I don't use chemicals without gloves. That's why I'm so stumped. I don't go for anything other than a clear coat. I prefer the natural look. I've been without acrylics for over a year. I use OPI nail envy for peeling nails now. I'll look into the smoothing gel. What is a protein treatment? And I agree. @Bliss69 @kristie1980 @abicrunch @blossom

I've looked around and decided to try a blend of coconut oil, tea tree infused cuticle oil by NailTek, jojoba oil, and orange essential oil to hydrate and repair my nails. I'm not going to use anymore polish until the peeling stops. I'm still very open to suggestions, tips, and tricks. :)

A product called healthy hoof works very well. Its a ptotein treatment that helps to get your nails strong and healthy. You can buy it in a cream or an oil. I havent tried the oil but have used the cream on clients and it honestly works to repair the nails

I've used something called hard as hoof and it did okay. It was really messy and required that I apply it three times a day if not more. I can always try it again.

I searched and found that what you were talking about was completely different. We don't have it in the stores around my area. I ordered some though!

I searched and found that what you were talking about was completely different. We don't have it in the stores around my area. I ordered some though!
Great! It really works, promise!!

Thank you! Do you have an estimate on how long it will take for nails to become healthy? Is rather ask a professional like you than just guess based off of what people said online. /:

Thank you! Do you have an estimate on how long it will take for nails to become healthy? Is rather ask a professional like you than just guess based off of what people said online. /:
You will see a massive improvement in around 10-14 days if you apply it twice a day

Thank you! [emoji16]

I've looked around and decided to try a blend of coconut oil, tea tree infused cuticle oil by NailTek, jojoba oil, and orange essential oil to hydrate and repair my nails. I'm not going to use anymore polish until the peeling stops. I'm still very open to suggestions, tips, and tricks. :)
I made my own hand/foot cream very cheap and very easy to make:
Lanolin Body Butter
4 oz – 113.4g Lanolin
2 oz – 56.7g Shea Butter
2 oz - 56.7g Castor Bean Oil
1 oz - 28.35g Jojoba Oil
Gently melt lanolin, shea butter, castor bean oil, and jojoba oil for 20 second intervals in microwave, stirring each time. Be very careful not to over heat these oils, the lanolin will melt as you stir the mixture. Add essential oil or fragrance oil and pour into jar. Cool. This butter is great for dishpan hands, cracked feet, and rough cuticles.
Also increase your calcium intake. This means milk, cheese, yoghurt and if you don't like dairy read ---
greatist.com/health/18-surprising-dairy-free-sources-calcium. Hope it helps you.

Thank you @Lin4744 I already ordered the original! But once I run out I'll try the recipe you gave me!

Latest posts

Back