What things do you look for in a salon (not treatments but the room)?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
I am moving salon! Will be signing the new lease any day now and take over the room on the 21st April. :Scared:

It is a much bigger room than where I am at present and rather than fitting in with someone else's style I can create whatever look/feel I want here.:)

So, as I am starting with a blank canvas I thought I would ask what things you like/dislike about a salon/treatment room, both from a clients point of view and as a working therapist.

So far the only think I have decided on is that I will lay an oak laminate floor!

I'm going to section off one end with a screen to make a treatment room and the rest will be reception, nail desk and the little cubby hole will eventually become a tanning room.

Attachments

• Office_Plan_GroundFloor_Right.pdf
    47.6 KB · Views: 160
I love walking into a treatment room and the area looks clean, fresh and uncluttered. Also, the bed has to look inviting, lol. I like to see clean, clear surfaces and a bit of natural light, (fussy I know). What I dislike is dull and dingy and total chaos! Be it right or wrong, if the room looks cluttered and unorganised it makes me question the professionalism. Good luck!

I'm a fussy bugger no doubt, but if music is playing it has to be balanced (coming from both sides), speakers on either side, or I feel more drawn to one side. Does this sound odd ? It really annoys me, most treatments/massage is balanced on either side, so should the direction of music.

I'm a fussy bugger no doubt, but if music is playing it has to be balanced (coming from both sides), speakers on either side, or I feel more drawn to one side. Does this sound odd ? It really annoys me, most treatments/massage is balanced on either side, so should the direction of music.

Not odd at all, but not something I had thought about before! Thanks.:)

When i walk into a treatment room id like it to look neat and tidy no clutter about. A fresh light colour on the walls.And some professional posters up on the wall,It would also be nice to see certificates on the wall too.hths xx

definitly echo what others have said about clean and uncluttered treatment rooms... I like them to feel cosy and warm yet light and airy?!

I think its the little things that makes the whole salon experience more enjoyable... I.E - A sturdy couch with blankets and pillows (heated couch covers are alway a winner for me too!), relaxing & carming music, A step to help shorter people onto couches (being just under 5ft i hate it when i have to 'volt' myself onto a high couch... not very dignifed!), I love fragranced candles personally but i understand this isn't alway the most 'appropriate' thing to have in a salon although i have before had a treatment with one lady who had these scented aromopharapy candles burning whilst she carried out the treatment and they were lovely. A good select of drinks on offer, professional posters and plants in the reception area, suitable waiting/seating area.. Just my thoughts!

Laura x

So fresh, clean and un-cluttered then!:)

At one end I was going to put in some cupboards so I guess keeping it all white would be a good move.

I like a room to look spa-like, good flooring, wooden lat blinds, clean light walls. a couch that you want to sink into.

I love candles, and fairy lights.
A few buddhas and a couple of professional posters.

subdued but warm lighting.

love to see cupboards with lights in them to display products.

plinky-plonky music.

I hate:
seeing paperwork
couch paper
full bins

Thanks. :hug:

Just a side thought, retail products, should they be in a cabinet, or on shelves where the clients are free to pick them up?

And also, I hate couch roll too! :lol:

Water dispensers go down well in the summer months,
what i hate to see in any salon is the reception area facing any treatment areas with receptionist hanging around there watching while you have your treatment, maybe this is just my little niggle that would not bother anyone else :hug:

I think retail behind lit glass makes them look classy, more inviting and eye catching.

but on shelves is good too.

Water dispensers go down well in the summer months,
what i hate to see in any salon is the reception area facing any treatment areas with receptionist hanging around there watching while you have your treatment, maybe this is just my little niggle that would not bother anyone else :hug:

Thankfully it'll just be me there! But I have decided (I think) to get a Japanese screen to separate the treatment area from the rest of the room.

For me it's space and it has to look tranquil.

Last treatment (facial/massage) I had was lovely but only once I shut my eyes because the space was small, cluttered and the products just shoved on a wee table and worse of all was a scrappy piece of paper pinned on the wall telling the therapist what products to use and in what order!! Reeked of unproffesionalism to me.

Last edited:
For me it's space and it has to look tranqual.

Last treatment (facial/massage) I had was lovely but only once I shut my eyes because the space was small, cluttered and the products just shoved on a wee table and worse of all was a scrappy piece of paper pinned on the wall telling the therapist what products to use and in what order!! Reeked of unproffesionalism to me.
OMG NO!!!!!!
really had a scrappy bit of paper with the instructions on! OMFG!

that is so unbelieveable!!!!

When I am learning something new I have it on a small crib card which I have hidden and only get it out for piece of mind, ie security blanket JUST incase I forget where I'm at! But its hidden and theres no way the client would see it!

Would you ever go back?

I hate rooms with no natural light.
If you have lightbulbs make sure they all work.
It has to be spotlessly clean.
Warm bed is goooooood. Couch roll is bloody yucky; makes it all feel like a production line.
It has to smell good too, and I find out what sort of music my clients like and then make sure that sort of music is playing. I ask at the initial consultation whether they like music and if so what sort.
It has to be tranquil - I went to a salon above a hair salon once. Lordy, what a flippin' racket!
It has to be tidy.
Less is more. I don't want a cluttered, claustrophobic space. Just because you offer 37 different treatments doesn't mean I want to see all the tools associated with them on show.

Oh dear. I'm the customer from hell, aren't I!
:(

Can I ask why couch roll is a no-no?

I personally use it on the pillow to show the client that I take their hygiene seriously. I also try where possible to strip the bed fully after a body treatment to show the client that each couch cover is used only for them.

I like music, quiet and scented candles. i use yankee tarts in a burner to change every couple of days.

Because it smacks of cheapness. I use towels on my couch, and they get changed after every client. And whenever I've had a waxing treatment you can guarantee that the roll gets stuck to some part of you!

I like a room to look spa-like, good flooring, wooden lat blinds, clean light walls. a couch that you want to sink into.

I love candles, and fairy lights.
A few buddhas and a couple of professional posters.

subdued but warm lighting.

love to see cupboards with lights in them to display products.

plinky-plonky music.

Sounds divine!
A treatment room with a spa feel is so relaxing even before you have had a treatment. When it feels too clinical it feels like your going for an operation.
And Nailzoo is right about the music too, so no it doesnt sound odd!
x

Because it smacks of cheapness. I use towels on my couch, and they get changed after every client. And whenever I've had a waxing treatment you can guarantee that the roll gets stuck to some part of you!

I use fresh towels every time too but I put couch roll also.

I use fresh towels and couch roll for every client. If there was no couch roll I would be concerned that the towel wasn't clean, and be scared that it was used over and over again strange psychology but true! Plus it is much easer to throw couch roll away than to get wax out of towels!

By the way Calla your website is directing to a page that says "the back bedroom" with a pic of a cat on a computer! Just thought I'd let you know x

Latest posts

Back