Yet more staffing problems!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystaltash

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need a bit of advice. I have a part time girl working for me and she has been here for about 3 months now. This is her first salon job. The problem is that she also works part time in a supermarket and always put this job first. I've asked her to cover some shifts and she has said no because she was working in this other place but the other day I found out she was able to swap shifts to get her hair done.
She is ok at her job, obviously I don't expect miracles as this is her first job out of college but I just don't feel she has any motivation or drive for the job.
We are moving to a bigger premises at the end of September and I told her I could guarantee her more hours but it would mean her leaving her other job. She told me she would think about it!!!!!!!!!!! She can't even cover full shifts when my full timer is away on holiday. So this leaves me on my own to bring in half the money we normally would.
What's really getting to me is, I know of a fab therapist who was recently made redundant as the salon she worked in shut very suddenly. She is available to do any hours at all and she wouldn't need any supervision or 'mollycoddling' like this other girl does.
To be honest, in fed up dancing around my part timers other job. I just feel if she wants a career in beauty, she should put it first and give it her all.
If it was your business, what would u do? I'm prepared for whatever you have, guys. Just be honest. :) thank you.

So she went to beauty school yet is still hanging on to her job at the supermarket?

From what you've said, she definitely doesn't sound committed.

Hate people like that! Plenty of people desperate for jobs and they just wanna do bugger all in life! Give it to someone who really wants it!
I work for someone and my boss never does anything about the lazy ones and it annoys me that I'm committed but we get paid the same?? Anyway due to being there 6years I'm hopefully opening a salon in sept-oct due to this and other reasons! So beware if you don't do something about it, your staff may leave to!

Yeah Eskimo. And the infuriating thing is that she is only contracted for 8-12 hours in her other job. And they are only 4 hour shifts each. I just get the feeling that she doesnt want to work long days or any evenings.
If it's so easy for her to swap a shift for her hair, why can't she help me out more?
Maybe I'm just being selfish cos it's my business I'm trying to look out for here. Xxx

I think she's the selfish one! You're just trying to run a business which if you didn't have she wouldn't be getting paid!

Thanks Hannah. I just don't know what to do. :(

Tell her what you think in a one to one and let her decide!
I think I'm a loyal person until something really pees me off and some girls walk all over my boss and it annoys me! And I've been there since he opened In 2006 and now his losing all his loyal staff and taking on the bad nuts! X

It's so hard isn't it! But you don't owe her anything! You have this other therapist who would be willing to put the hours in and would be grateful of a job! Is your current therapist really an asset to your business I would be hoping her attitude doesn't show in her work! She can't be that passionate about beauty if she's still holding on to her other job when you have work for her! Can't you give this other girl a chance to do those extra shifts? Xx

Hi, if this girly has only worked for you for three months then you can dismiss her by just giving contractual notice. she has limited employment rights ntil she has worked for you for over a year. Might seem harsh but it needs to be a commercial decision

Dont flog a dead horse. You need people with commitment. Get rid and get this new therapist in.

I have to agree with Persianista.

The part timer doesn't seem to want to be there and you have the opportunity to take on someone who will do what you expect from them, with a lot less hassle and she would be happy to have the job so take her on and get shot of the time waster.

I agree with the two above posts, you should sack the supermarket girl and hire the redundant beauty therapist.

If beauty is what you have trained for then its what you want to do .. all of the time.

Jacqui xx

I agree with all the above answers, but I can see it from the other point of view aswell. If you wanted a part-time therapist, then it's obvious that she will have another part-time job and won't just sit at home when she is not working for you. Are part-time therapist not allowed to have another part-time job?
I am in a same situation. I work part-time in beauty but have another job (not beauty) 3 days a week only because it's well paid and because I am saving up money for a house I wouldn't be able to survive on a full-time salary of a beauty therapist. I would love to be able to do beauty full time but I need to think of the money aswell.
However, this may not be her case as obviously working in a supermarket wouldn't be great money, so who knows what reasons she has. I would talk to her about it, not just let her go and take on this other girl.Discuss with her if she is willing to help you out more when she is off or ocassionaly swap her days with her other job. She deserves to be treated fairly.

The above poster has a point with regard to the position being part time.

Did you ask this young lady at the time of hiring if she could cover all different hours or did you hire her with set days and hours?

If its the latter then she is surely entitled to say no to your offer of more hours etc.

If it is the former and she is never able to accept more hours THEN you should replace her with someone more flexible.

You've got to be fair, and can't necessarily expect someone hired on set hours to want to take on more when you need her to.

Jacqui xx

Hi,
Have you had a meeting or anything with her to set down what hours you could now offer her?
If she is part time like said above she is only entitled to work the hours set for her.

But saying that I am a qualified hair stylist but have decided to go into beauty therapy.

I have now taken a level 3 apprenticeship at a spa/salon which would only be for 3 days a week including college.(which is great and I'm really happy)
But I also work at Frimley Park hospital as bank staff on days I will not be working. But I would never put my hospital job before my beauty, and would jump at the chance for more hours. ;P

Louise xx

Hi, perhaps you could hire the redundant therapist and offer current part timer two days to cover days off and evenings and if part timer arsed about then explain what you need from her and why, that way she may decide to leave and your covered with new therapist. It may just work out that all will be happy. She's probably thinking of the money if you have not already offered her full time. Bear in mind if she does not seem to give a damn then as persinista said GET RID! i do hope it works out for you x

OMG you sound just like the boss i wanted last year!

I also wokr PT in a food store and would love to find a beauty salon owner that was willing to take me on, I'm not straight out of college but I don't have salon experience so cant get a beauty job anywhere!

If i did, and they offered me more hours, bye bye food store, hello more beauty work!

Why couldn't i live near you?!!? x

Wow, a lot of you guys being really harsh on this part timer! Think about it, it's her first job, she's still feeling her way, she has another part time job which may or may not pay more for less hours (who wouldn't like that!), maybe she's just hedging her bets until she knows, maybe she thinks the extra shifts would jeopardise the supermarket which is something she has perhaps been doing for longer and is more comfortable with.

There are so many ifs buts and maybes in this I think it's unfair to say 'sack her'.

Have a conversation, tell her what your salon needs in the short, medium and long term and see if she wants to come on board with that, only then will you be able to make an informed decision on whether she's right for you.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies dudes. See the thing is, from the day and hour o hired her, she knew that the job would eventually be full time and she said she was cool to cover any time it was needed. I understand that she has been in the supermarket a long time but beauty is what she trained for and she is always puttin it second. My full timer wanted time off over the 12th and I asked the part timer could she cover. She said that she would have to wait and see what the supermarket would want her to work!!!! Her hours hadn't even been done yet!!! She is only contracted 8 hours with this other place.
Last Saturday I told her that in a couple of months when we move to a bigger place, I can guarantee her 8 hours on a Thursday. And she said, 'let me think about it!!!' and when I told her what she would be expected to work over Christmas, her face was like thunder!! Its so infuriating because I know this other therapist is desperately looking for work and can do any hours I want.
I know my part timer is still getting a feel for things and I have been so supportive in helping her and training her but it's just her attitude and the lack of commitment that really get to me. Also, if I let her go, that will be 3 girls in the space of 3 years that I've had to sack. I don't want to be labelled a bitch. But in October when we move premises I'm gonna need all hands on deck and I'm just not sure where I stand with her.
I have talked to her about it before but nothing has changed. :(

Latest posts

Back