Yet more staffing problems!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it sounds like you know what you need to do yourself but are afraid of doing it?

Lovleelady, I'm petrified to the point of feeling sick. Xx

get rid!!!shes a waste off time...think of your salon/ect

ok i understand better now. You need to do whats best for you and your buisness long term. If i was your part timer id be haunting you for more hours, she seems to be afraid of extra work, why?. Is she lacking confidance in treatments, does she bring in many clients, are you mentoring, moulding her into a therapist you can be proud of or is she just a handy help when you need it. Buisness is tough if you feel she has potential and is good and would be an asset to your future expansion then she may need a bit of inspiration maybe a pep talk. If not then whats the point, she is either a therapist or not, why is she stalling? are you offering product training etc? I hope im making sense. Surly you can tell if she is going to be an asset. Please keep us updated.

crystaltash - is you really petrified about the opening of the bigger salon or the staffing issue?

either way have faith in yourself, your abilities, skills and instinct, you must be doing well to be moving to a bigger place - it says a lot that you know what you are doing - i think re the staffing just go with your gut instinct but in mean time ask yourself do you think clients love her? is she special? do clients ask for her by name? basically - is she an asset to your business?

maybe its time to man up and take on the responsibilites of being an employer

You must be able to know if she is going to be a team player when you need it most. Yes its petrifying but its your bread and butter. How does your staff feel about her dilly dalling lol sorry nicest way i could describe it

lovelylady you said it how i meant it, i totally agree.

What about taking this other therapist on part time, the one that lost her job that is, then she gets some work and you get someone that CAN and WILL work extra hours and shifts to cover.

Maybe this girl isn't enjoying her work? How does she seem when she's there? Happy and talkative etc?

Crystaltash you are in a very very similar position to me with one exception you have a choice of a better therapist.
I took on a college leaver 18 mths ago. I put one hell of a lot of work into her. She was taken on Self employed and in October we had a quiet peried which is very common. She paniced and decided to cut down her hours and went back to her job at the supermarket. Well as always the quiet spell passed and we have been run off our feet since Dec. I don't have enough contructive hours available for a pt position but I really do need another therapist.
Tell her your predicament offer her the position you want her in. If she doesn't want it then grab this other therapist with both hands and don't let go.
xx

crystaltash - is you really petrified about the opening of the bigger salon or the staffing issue?

either way have faith in yourself, your abilities, skills and instinct, you must be doing well to be moving to a bigger place - it says a lot that you know what you are doing - i think re the staffing just go with your gut instinct but in mean time ask yourself do you think clients love her? is she special? do clients ask for her by name? basically - is she an asset to your business?

maybe its time to man up and take on the responsibilites of being an employer

This really made this decision for me. Clients never ask for her by name, they think she's a 'nice' girl but nothing more.
I dint think she's 'special' and usually I'm pretty good at sniffing that out.
I I'm being honest, she is not a massive asset to the business and after 3 months, we r still only putting clients in with her cos we don't have room. She hasn't brought in any repeat business and doesnt seem that keen to learn.
I know what I have to do and it will have to be tomorrow after work but I do feel physically sick. This will be the 3rd girl I've let go in 3 years. I'm so worried about what clients will think of me and if there will be any repercussions from her family.
Anyone who says being an employer is easy needs to come and talk to me!! Lol!

Clients want great treatments! They are really not overly concerned with your staffinf issues as long as the consistency stays and they keep getting good treatments - being in Northern Ireland they are like us all and love a good nosy lol so they will ask - I let someone go and when I was asked was honest and simply said she wasn't working with us anymore in a pleasant tone (it had been a very unpleasant situation but didn't want to convey that to customer & spoil salon happy environment) but we did have a lovely new girl and moved on to talk about the treatments she was doing - all nice and positive.

Customers will judge you on the time you spend with them and the quality of service you provide - just stay professional and you know what like all of us new and growing salons - chalk it up as another great experience and learn from it.

I think you need to realise regardless of how you feel, you are an employer and as such need to act within the best interests of the business. I would sit her down and say to her this is the situation, due to business needs she is no longer required. You need to think of yourself, your business, your image, your reputation, your cash flow etc etc etc.

Alternatively you could take the nice route - Ask her if she enjoys the job and if so, what does she enjoy about it. What does she hate about it. Get her chatting. Once you hear her side, you may find she is best suited to working as a Saturday girl with you or perhaps she's just not confident enough to win back clients and take on extra hours and you will get to the route of the problem. I would be harsh if taking this option though and give her 7-14 days to either turn it around and take on extra hours (contracted) or she may no longer have a position.

Please don't worry about what clients think of you in terms of hiring and firing. Clients are happy to know you are giving them the best and if someone new appears and you really sell them, clients will be pleased with that. I think before speaking to your part timer it may be worth speaking to the therapist you would like to bring on board and just see if she would be interested IF you had a position to offer her. She may be happy with part time work so you could have both or she may have something else in the pipeline.

Just a suggestion as you may be doing this already but I don't think you are, I give all employees a 3 month probationary period and during this time, either side is required to give 7-14 days notice should they leave depending on the area they work in. This gives you the option to sit down after the 3 months and let them know if need be that it's not working out and best to go separate ways. This completely covers you. You can get employment contract templates for free on line to re-jig as you want to. Sorry I can't find any links to post but it just ensures you are totally covered.

It's never nice to let someone go but you just need to remind yourself of all the reasons why they aren't suitable and it will be easier. As long as you have evidence of poor performance, you're clear, concise and diplomatic then they have very little comeback :hug:
Good luck x

Maybe it's just been a bad fit.
Perhaps it wasn't clear to her from the start that you needed to expand her role as time went on. Perhaps she likes the clear demarcation and variety of having 2 very different jobs. Maybe she has more enthusiasm for retail, and feels more satisfaction from it. She may also be someone who needs to know what her calendar looks like and can't cope with being flexible.
Hope your chat with her results in what is right for both of you.

Well I feel horrible. I feel like such a bad person. I talked to her and ts her my decision and the reasons why. She started almost to beg me and then she started crying and said that she would do any hours I wanted her to. But my mind had been made up ad I felt and still feel like I've done the right thing. But I just want to crawl into a hole. I can't even remember the drive home I was in such a bad way. I feel awful for her and it makes me feel sick that she is at home hating me right now. I'm expecting a visit or phonecall from her mother next week.
At times like this I hate being the boss.

It's hard but you're a business, not an individual in these circumstances and you HAVE to do what's right for the business.

Whatever your reasons you didn't feel this girl was the right one for the business. So very bluntly she had to go.

In times like this I always have to remind myself;

Hire slow, fire fast.

If someone doesn't fit, it's not worth wasting your time and money on them. Get rid and be more careful with who you take on in future...

A few employee's like this and you really harden up. I've had to "let go" two employee's and been told by two others that they don't feel we're right for them. I'm on the verge of having to "let go" of another... And for the first time I actually don't feel that bad about it. I'm only interested in my business now and my clients and the level of service they get from us. You can't be friends with employee's generally. It only ever turns nasty when things go wrong or stop working.

Thanks Sarah Jean. I just feel so low and hateful. Please tell me it passes. I just keep seeing her face and it's dreadful.
Still, the right thing has been done but it's still someone's life I'm dealing with. :(

It is horrid, and makes you feel dreadful. It is for the best for your business, and probably the best for her. Keep that in mind.

People often go through life at the start of their careers thinking that they can pick and choose, That nobody should tell them what to do. Sometimes they need a shock like this to make them wake up and take their career seriously.

Years ago I sacked a young girl who went out and got bladdered every Friday night which resulted in her being late and rubbish every Saturday. I warned her and warned her.
Then I sacked her. She didn't think I would do it.

She now works for me as a senior stylist, and is a fantastic, much liked employee. She admits that what happened at 18 to her brought her up real short and made her realise that she couldn't just play around. Work is serious.

She doesn't hate me for what I did. She fully understands why I had to do it, and respects that I made that decision.

Chin up xx

Thanks persianista. It really was for the good of the business. I've worked too hard and long for someone to compromise it for whatever reason.
I just hope, like many people said, that clients are only interested in an excellent service and that they won't think me a hard hearted witch for letting another girl go.
I know it was the right decision because my full timer has been with me for nearly 2 years now and I never ever had any doubts or problems with her from the word go. She does everything she can for me and really loves the salon and in return all the clients love her back. Even tho she has 2 kids, she puts in all the overtime I need without question. I just didn't get this level of commitment with the other girl and as we all know, this is a career that u need to give 110% to, otherwise, there is no point.
I can't thank u all enough for ur responses, advice and support. It is a hard lesson learned and now I just have to work through how dreadful I feel and then get on with things.
Thanks geeks. Xxxxx

Well, we have an update. The mum did infact come storming into the salon today demanding a reference for the girl I let go. She was so ready to start to on me and if my other colleague hadn't been there, I think she would have exploded at me.
I told her it was absolutely no problem, I would be glad to write one and when would she like it for. So she's comin in tomorrow and I will be on my own with no back up, so what do I do if she starts having a go at me? This is all such a nightmare. :,(

The mum or the girl?

You tell the mum that employee information and relations is confidential and if her daughter has something she'd like to discuss then she is free to contact you herself. However you are unable to discuss any matters relating to her daughters employment with her and would kindly request that she leaves now (and hand her the envelope with reference in if you must - personally I'd have told her I'd post it)... If she refuses to leave, you just say that you've asked her very politely to leave and if she refuses or gets abusive you tell her you'll be forced to call the police.

Is there anyway you can have someone else there - even if it's a friend acting as a client??? Might help to have at least one witness.

Latest posts

Back