Yet more staffing problems!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I did my management course, a few years ago now but don't think the law has changed, you could not give a bad reference. As Amme says you could refuse and this speaks volumes but could also mean that the person being sent the reference is bad at communicating and just doesn't follow it up which could look as though the employee was rubbish, which may not be the case. It really depends how well run the business is.

Personally I wouldn't give a reference direct to the employee. However, I have read your thread thoroughly and can fully appreciate why you did this. Plus a big hug from me as this has been a real nightmare for you.

When and if I need to write a reference it has to come direct from the employer and in writing. This way you have everything in black and white, no employee flipping out because they "think" you have verbally given a bad reference.

If an employee asked for one direct I would just advise that it is company policy to receive a reference request in writing from their new employer. I do not do references over the phone or give them to employees direct.

I like to keep things on file and verbal conversations you can't.

Hope this helps

I've read this thread with interest and firstly I just wanna wish you all the best of luck, it must be so difficult running a business and then having to let go of employees that aren't helpful to you must add a lot of stress to that.

It makes me sad and frustrated to read this thread because for every employee that doesn't have the salons best interest at heart and then gets nasty when they get sacked, there must be loads of good therapists who are willing to put in the time and effort who are still looking for work :( tis so frustrating in that respect

Thanks everyone so much for ur kind replies. All the support and advice has really helped me through this.
Of course I would never say anything bad in either a spoken or written reference. In the one I did for this girl I just said her time keeping and customer service wad good and what she had gained experience in. I never mentioned her reliability, commitment, flexibility and being a team player cos those are all the things I had issues with plus her lack of taking basic instructions on board.
If a prospective employer calls me I will just reiterate what is in the reference and tell them that is all I have to say.
I just hopefuls is the end of a very unpleasant situation. But it made me learn something about myself. I am strong enough to defend myself and my business when I actually thought I would fall to pieces. It has been a personal battle with the decision but as Gordon Ramsay said the other night, personal feelings can't get in the way of business.
Thanks again to u all geeks. I just don't know what I would do without this site. U all made a difference to me over the past week. I cant tell u how much I appreciate it. Xxx :)

Hope all goes well with the OP.
Regarding references the main thing is you only write the truth, ie nothing detrimental which you do not have evidence of, and nothing good which is not true. Omission is the usual way to get a message across!
I would say references to employer only. Was once taken in (first and last time) by refs which were undated and turned out to be very old, thus enabling the applicant to wipe out part of her employment history....

A good code for a reference is simply answer;
I can confirm that x was emplyed by me between (date) and (date)

Add nothing else, and give that answer to every question.

I do the same as persianista in that I say x has worked for me from date until date.

Keep it factual - nothing that can hang you if the person turns out to be a nightmare for the next employer.

I have to ask though if someone had excelled whilst working for you is that all you say? I have worked hard all my life. Been through training and done well as far as I'm concerned. Got qualified, I would be deeply hurt if that's all my previous employees said! Credit where credit is due I say

from Debbie's HTC Sense

I give people glowing references where it is due. My answer above is instead of a bad reference

Thank you Dawn, appreciate your reply

from Debbie's HTC Sense

oh gosh, of course, if someone was brilliant I would sing their praises, but when a member of staff has caused you heartache and more, the date principle works well. Less is more and all that.

When I give a good reference I also send a copy to the ex-employee so if they don't get a job they know it's not from my reference.

So apparently it isn't over! There was a band parade in the town on Saturday night and the girl who will be starting with me next week was there as was the girl who put all the nasty comments on Facebook.
The nasty girl was eyeballing my new employee for a while and once she had enough drink in her, she approached my new employee and started mouthing off about her getting the job that her cousin was sacked from!!!! Nobody even knows this girl has got the job yet!!!
It's one thing to slag off me and my business but when u bring in other people who have nothing to do with it, that's a different story. So tomorrow I am phoning the local police and informing them of the harassment and abuse that has been going on. I know they can't do anything but at least they will have it on record if anything else does happen. It's just going beyond childish now. I haven't responded to anything they have written or said, but one more thing and they will be in no doubt that the police have been involved. It's gone on too long already. Xx

Hi I had a situation when I first opened my salon where someone became quite verbally aggressive in the salon (not to do with staffing or treatments) threats were made and although she hadn't touched me the police went straight to her house and warned her that should it be taken any further steps would be taken by the police that could eventually lead to prosecution. I've heard nothing since. These people should be ashamed at what they have put you and now another girl through whereas you should hold your head high having been professional and classy about it x

Sent from my Nexus S using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back