Your opinion on how I got my nails done...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katemidd

Reaction score
Hi. I got sculptured gel nails done the other week and had them taken off. When I was considering on how to get my nails done I done a lot of research to see if they made your nails weak or not. What I found out was they REHYDRATE your nails and don't make them weak. So anyway I had them taken off and they were weak and flexible my natural nails. Is this due to the fact that what I found out was wrong or that the people used the wrong stuff, used and electric nail file to buff my nails instead of a buffing block, and used acrylics not gel. From the minute I sat down they used the electric nail file to buff and also cut my nails square, unlike videos I watched on YouTube where they kept them round. Thanks for anything.

It's almost impossible for us to tell without seeing application AND removal of your enhancements as to where the damage occurred. Note that it's only the application / removal that has the potential to damage, not the product itself, so whether you had gel or acrylic doesn't make a difference.
However what you said about having an electric file on your natural nail is definitely not right and I'm almost certain that this where the damage would have occurred in your case. Unfortunately if your nails are thinned due to this, the only remedy now is to let the damage grow out.
In the future, the things to look for in a reputable, safe nail tech are (as well as not using electric file on your natural nail lol):

The place should be clean, all instruments disinfected
Tech happy to show you their qualifications and public liability insurance certificates
Acrylic or gel products should be in manufacturers containers (or you should at least see these being transferred from the manufacturers container to the dishes-this will be an indicator as to whether the product they are using is designed for nails-as many use products that are not, which require roughing up of the natural nail unfortunately).
You should be given proper aftercare instructions including the use of cuticle oil daily and proper maintenance and removal instructions.
Removal should not require filing of the natural nail or pulling off the enhancements.
Nothing should be painful!
Hope this helps xx

It's almost impossible for us to tell without seeing application AND removal of your enhancements as to where the damage occurred. Note that it's only the application / removal that has the potential to damage, not the product itself, so whether you had gel or acrylic doesn't make a difference.
However what you said about having an electric file on your natural nail is definitely not right and I'm almost certain that this where the damage would have occurred in your case. Unfortunately if your nails are thinned due to this, the only remedy now is to let the damage grow out.
In the future, the things to look for in a reputable, safe nail tech are (as well as not using electric file on your natural nail lol):

The place should be clean, all instruments disinfected
Tech happy to show you their qualifications and public liability insurance certificates
Acrylic or gel products should be in manufacturers containers (or you should at least see these being transferred from the manufacturers container to the dishes-this will be an indicator as to whether the product they are using is designed for nails-as many use products that are not, which require roughing up of the natural nail unfortunately).
You should be given proper aftercare instructions including the use of cuticle oil daily and proper maintenance and removal instructions.
Removal should not require filing of the natural nail or pulling off the enhancements.
Nothing should be painful!
Hope this helps xx
hi. Thanks. I got given no after care instructions what so ever. Also I asked for sculptured gel and she went to start do acrylics. I had to tell her what they were meant to be doing. And iv not even done the course for nails. There is only 2 nails that are flexible and them 2 nails were 2 that would not come off and they had the use the electric nail file to got it off.
I am thinking about going to the college I am going to study beauty in next time as they will have the tutors watching them also. Do you think this would be better. Thanks again :)

There's nothing in acrylic or gel which will harm your nails.

Claims saying one is "healthier" than the other are rubbish.

It's all about how much damage is done to your own nail before they put them on and sometimes afterwards. It's fair to say it is much easier to do a lot of damage very quickly with an electric file unless you are in very good hands (and how would you know whose hands are good? You don't.) And as hannajadem has said, the removal should be a gentle process of returning your nails to the state they were in before you had the acrylics applied.

It's sucha shame you've had this bad experience. Was it a trainee?

There's nothing in acrylic or gel which will harm your nails.

Claims saying one is "healthier" than the other are rubbish.

It's all about how much damage is done to your own nail before they put them on and sometimes afterwards. It's fair to say it is much easier to do a lot of damage very quickly with an electric file unless you are in very good hands (and how would you know whose hands are good? You don't.) And as hannajadem has said, the removal should be a gentle process of returning your nails to the state they were in before you had the acrylics applied.

It's sucha shame you've had this bad experience. Was it a trainee?
hi. Thanks. I have always been totally agains electric nail files and when they started using it I was not happy. As far as I know they were qualified. Had certificates on the walls. But with only 1 name in them and there are 2 people who work there. I am starting to wonder my self how they could even be qualified. But as I said above I think it might be better to use the college next time, just use shop brought stick on ones as they have never done any harm to my nails, or just let my nails grow and then have a manicure or nail art done. What do you think would be best? Thanks.

What ever you found in your research that said artificial nails will rehydrate your nails was totally inaccurate!! There is absolutely no way this could be. Wearing something over your nails that doesn't allow the moisture from the body to evaporate will make the natural nail weak, until the enhancement is taken off. This does not mean the nail is damaged. In a short amount of time the nail will return to it's natural state. It doesn't matter if someone uses acrylic or gel, as long as the product is designed to be put on nails, not a craft product, etc.

What shape the nail is done is decided by a couple of things; length of your fingers and nail beds, and what your preference is. Nothing says one way is better than the other as far as nail shape. As a matter of fact there is a great variety of nails shapes that are popular right now especially with nail enhancements.

There is nothing wrong with using an electric file. However, it is not necessary to use on the natural nail and if done improperly it can cause damage to the nail. Only the shine of the natural nail should be buffed off prior to applying nail enhancements. But there are numerous things that can be done with an electric file if done properly and by someone trained who knows what they are doing and what bits to use for what. And there is some gel that has to be filed off as it won't soak off.

There is no way of knowing if someone is informed, educated and properly trained because the public isn't informed of what should and shouldn't be done when getting nail services.

hi. Thanks. I got given no after care instructions what so ever. Also I asked for sculptured gel and she went to start do acrylics. I had to tell her what they were meant to be doing. And iv not even done the course for nails. There is only 2 nails that are flexible and them 2 nails were 2 that would not come off and they had the use the electric nail file to got it off.
I am thinking about going to the college I am going to study beauty in next time as they will have the tutors watching them also. Do you think this would be better. Thanks again :)

Yes as these students are supervised I assume there is less potential for damage. However, you may experience problems with longevity of the enhancements as these are trainees. It will also probably take longer, but I suppose that's why you're paying model rate. However, it would be ideal for you to watch the process it you are thinking of training there.
Is there no one local to you who can recommend a good nail tech? Hopefully someone on here will give you their details. Good techs are usually hard to find as theyre so good they don't need to advertise lol! Although it may be worth you phoning around some local salons and asking them the above questions ie. what products they use, ask about aftercare/removal. Anyone decent will be happy to answer your questions honestly. Ask maybe if they have a web site or fb page with photos too.
Good luck x

Latest posts

Back