Your own business place!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm really thinking of doing this, with the cabin, I'm only 18 and work full time but my dream is something like this, the rents have said 'maybe' I could do this if it didn't effect them too much, I wanted a home salon at 1st but I couldnt because of the mortgage etc and then a family trouble meant my younger brothers + sisters have taken up the spare room... could anyone give me any info on this? Will i need permission etc, I read the post above and it would be more than 7ft from the house, but next to the garage? Would this still count do you think? Any help so appreciated, I love love love the idea of a cabin! The clients would come in via the back gate.... like I said any info really appreciated!!

I'm really thinking of doing this, with the cabin, I'm only 18 and work full time but my dream is something like this, the rents have said 'maybe' I could do this if it didn't effect them too much, I wanted a home salon at 1st but I couldnt because of the mortgage etc and then a family trouble meant my younger brothers + sisters have taken up the spare room... could anyone give me any info on this? Will i need permission etc, I read the post above and it would be more than 7ft from the house, but next to the garage? Would this still count do you think? Any help so appreciated, I love love love the idea of a cabin! The clients would come in via the back gate.... like I said any info really appreciated!!

Best to contact your local council and ask! I shouldn't think it would be a problem because it is away from the actual 'living quarters' of the property so it shouldn't be classed as an extension! All local councils are different tho, some really couldn't care less what you do and wonder why you are contacting them and others want you to jump through hoops and want to come out and inspect etc. so for a definite answer I would give them a quick call! As the clients will enter through the back gate your mortgage and home insurence wouldn't be affected as they aren't physically entering the property! Hth's

Thanx for your reply! I don't have a big garden, and the garage is on one side, and a wall on the other, its more of a yard really, so clients would literally come through the back gate, into the cabin! It will look ugly to us from the kitchen but not bad to the client, also with it being the back I figured it wouldn't intrude on family life, is there any specific requirements with regards to health and safety within the salon? Is insulation etc needed? I could ask a million questions as it is just a new idea to me, but even since seeing one on here my little mind has been ticking thinking about if it could possibly work!

Thanx for your reply! I don't have a big garden, and the garage is on one side, and a wall on the other, its more of a yard really, so clients would literally come through the back gate, into the cabin! It will look ugly to us from the kitchen but not bad to the client, also with it being the back I figured it wouldn't intrude on family life, is there any specific requirements with regards to health and safety within the salon? Is insulation etc needed? I could ask a million questions as it is just a new idea to me, but even since seeing one on here my little mind has been ticking thinking about if it could possibly work!

I k ow I think the most appealing part to a cabin is the fact it can be completely separate from home life! With regards to health and safety should be the same as in a normal salon first aid kit and safety poster! It's not a requirement from my council but worth doing to be safe and look professional! I don't think it is required to have insulation but i think it is a must with the cold country we live in! I'd contact your council sooner rather than later so you know exactly what you will need! I remember a thread a while back where a girl was told she would have to have a sink in her home salon by her council which was a lot of money to do! And some people are required to have planning permission whilst others weren't so it really does depend on the area you live! It's best to go straight to the top to get your answers as I spent ages on the Internet researching everything but when I called the council they really couldn't care less! As long as there was no increase in traffic And I wasn't working too late and they were no smells or loud music then I was good to go!

Latest posts

Back