Your own business place!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's determination Oo wow.

i started my 2nd home salon 9 months ago, had a little help from mum along the way (mainly cos she wanted her nails done lol!!) but mostly have done it myself....started off doing it in middle of front room and now i have taken over the conservatory (used to be our dining room) now we have a folding table that we use for big family dinners otherwise its dinner on your lap kind of thing!! its not ideal but its all i have at the moment. I am full time carer for my son so renting a room etc isnt an optiion just yet. clients are happy and once they in conservatory family have the house back!! just means i have to keep house VERY clean and tidy which isnt easy with 4 teenage boys!!

basically if you want it enough you will make what you have got work for you! xx

Hi i would definately look into renting a room a bit more. its ideal if you find the right place thats what i do, personally i wouldn't want to work at home unless it was really ideal. you only have to worry about your rent apart from the usual insurance stock etc so havent got got loads of other bills and overheads if you are quiet. Hope you sort something soon - i would love my own shop but on the practical side don't think i earn enough to cover all the overheads x

I opened my own salon 6 weeks ago at the grand old age of 47. I love it. I've been in the business for 15 years and started out mobile at first. Then I rented a room in a small heairdressers, was there for about 8 months then rented another room (curtained off area actually) upstairs in another hairdressers with a nail station in the corner downstairs. I was there for nearly 12 years.
My goal was to open my own salon eventually so my dream has come true. I had been looking and viewed a few premises over the past 2 years until I found this one. It's perfect. But don't be fooled it's hard work and you do have to put the hours in. I practically live in the place at the moment. Hehe but the pros outway the cons and it's so rewarding.
I was fortunate enough to bring my existing clientelle I'd built up over the years from the hairdressers to my new salon so I didn't start off from scratch. That's important specially in this current climate.
Follow your dream and good luck in whatever you do. I'm sure you'll do just fine.:biggrin:

I would say have a look around and see if you can rent a room local to home. Your OH sounds like he would rather keep his home/garden private and who can blame him. I have a summerhouse in my garden. I live down a quite secluded lane and have a big garden so working from home is ideal for me. BUT, I have people turning up at all hours and days looking for appointments. My DH has to take the kids out when I have clients or lock the front door to stop them going outside (most of my treatments are relaxation treatments). We paid less than £2000 for an insulated 8 x 10 summerhouse and my husband rigged up the electrics and a water supply. The pluses are that I don't have to pay rent, rates, etc so I make a profit a lot quicker than I would if I had a salon/rented a room. The downsides are, you never feel like your off duty. Oh, and age doesn't matter. If you want something, go and get it.

I don't want to rent. It costs too much. And if it is a problem with hubby, then that is just being selfish, as he knows it is my dream. But I don't think this is the case. He is just thinking of how much it will cost. But he knows I will do it eventually. When I am gunning to do something, it will happen, cause like I said...it's my dream! :)

19 and almost finished kitting out my home salon! Xx

I made my little home salon under the stairs :) that was the only space left in the house ! I have 4 children ( 17, 20, 21 & 23) that occupy the upstairs bedrooms, my bedroom is downstairs in the front room, so space is very limited, but it works and people are amazed that it looks "so professional"
One day I might get my hands on the little box room ! Everyone had dreams :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I don't understand how renting would be too expensive.
You don't need to take on a whole shop but can rent space or a room within premises, a hair salon, or a beauty salon, I even know a fabulous beauty therapist, running a great business, in rooms upstairs within a dental practise ;)

Doing it that way means you would buy all of your equipment, furniture and stock but you would do that for your cabin anyway.
Then you would be paying anything from £100 a week for your space (obviously location and area affect the rate) which is only 4 gel polish treatments a week then the rest is for your business.

That way you are out there getting known, building a clientele and if you want saving for getting a salon of your own.

Surely this is a cheaper option than paying out £3,000 for a cabin that will fill your garden.

Last edited:
I was 18 when i set up my salon (9 years ago) My parents lent me £500 for the very basics and i ploughed everything i made into it for quite sometime until i had all the equiptment and priducts i wanted, i now have 3 staff and love what i do.
I also think renting a room would be the best option for you, i think you would build up a clientelle quicker as you can market yourself to the place where you rent a rooms existing clients ie renting a room in a hairdressers and marketing yourself to there clients x

I don't understand how renting would be too expensive.
You don't need to take on a whole shop but can rent space or a room within premises, a hair salon, or a beauty salon, I even know a fabulous beauty therapist, running a great business, in rooms upstairs within a dental practise ;)

Doing it that way means you would buy all of your equipment, furniture and stock but you would do that for your cabin anyway.
Then you would be paying anything from £100 a week for your space (obviously location and area affect the rate) which is only 4 gel polish treatments a week then the rest is for your business.

That way you are out there getting known, building a clientele and if you want saving for getting a salon of your own.

Surely this is a cheaper option than paying out £3,000 for a cabin that will fill your garden.

Renting a room at 100 a week is alot. You could go days with no client!!
My husband doesn't earn alot from his work, and having 3 children I have to think about expense. Buying a cabin, is expensive to start with, yes! But in the long run, I will have no rent to pay for the rest of my career, and have the bonus of working from home!!

92.jpg

This is my garden, and in the place of the shed already there, we can fit a 9'10" wide x 9'10" deep corner cabin without it taking too much more room, and it would look better then the shed for starters. So I think it will go well.

Last edited by a moderator:
92.jpg

This is my garden, and in the place of the shed already there, we can fit a 9'10" wide x 9'10" deep corner cabin without it taking too much more room, and it would look better then the shed for starters. So I think it will go well.

I love your garden! And the cabin is beautiful! Before you jump in you also need to consider getting planning permission, electricity being run there (unless you have it there already), make sure the cabin is within 7ft of your house or it will be considered an extension of you home which will mean a lot more money with permission etc. do the clients have to walk through your home to get to the garden or is there a side entrance? If they have to go through your home you need to check with your mortgage and home insurence if your still covered! There's lots to consider first and with the cabin you want you are probably wanting to save 4 maybe 5k to get everything done!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, we already had all this in mind.

It will be 15ft between back door and Cabin. We have a back gate too.

As long as it is removable (able to take it down), wood and under 2 and half meters in height, no planning permission needed.

My Nephew is an electrician, so he will install electric sockets etc cheaper for me.

It won't be yet, I need to save up...will be in a year or two. But I got the go ahead :)

Yes, we already had all this in mind.

It will be 15ft between back door and Cabin. We have a back gate too.

As long as it is removable (able to take it down), wood and under 2 and half meters in height, no planning permission needed.

My Nephew is an electrician, so he will install electric sockets etc cheaper for me.

It won't be yet, I need to save up...will be in a year or two. But I got the go ahead :)

Brilliant! Your on it already! It's great having tradesmen in th family! My uncle doing the electrics for me! Really handy coz it would probably cost a fortune to pay for! Glad everything's a go now for you, something to look forward to! The cabin is really amazing! Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to something along the lines of your one in a few years! Need to start earning the money for it first tho! ;) good luck with it all, and before you know it you'll be back on here showing off your new home salon! X

Brilliant! Your on it already! It's great having tradesmen in th family! My uncle doing the electrics for me! Really handy coz it would probably cost a fortune to pay for! Glad everything's a go now for you, something to look forward to! The cabin is really amazing! Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to something along the lines of your one in a few years! Need to start earning the money for it first tho! ;) good luck with it all, and before you know it you'll be back on here showing off your new home salon! X

Yes, I have something to look forward too. This was my husbands main problem to why he wouldn't allow it. He said if I ma going to do this, he wants it all done properly, so nothing falls back on us. We are not planning to move, so it will be permanant thing. I am really looking forward to it. I know it is a few years away, but things like this, cost time and money. And it will be worth it, in the long run. No rent to pay, and working from home. Having 3 children, and two of them being 5 and 8, I can work my own hours, and pick them up from school, which is a 10 minute walk. Be close by at home, when working and children just being in the house with ym eldest.....All looking good for the future for me :) Thanks for all your help girls x

That's good news hope its sooner rather than later :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

But did you guys get help with your business by your parents?

Mine helped where they could but I saved up myself whilst I was working in salon and been mobile.
I did however go to the princes trust for help with business courses and such and it turned out i could apply for the business grant which I did and was successfully accepted and I will have paid it all off next year.
X

Set up a salon at age 22 in 1997 budget £10k, worked hard and got fed up with staff and having no life sold business at age 27 for £110k. Took a break set up Home based business 28 and it keeps me going. I personally think you are better doing when your young cos you have no commitments and tons of energy. I'm now 36 and feel too old for all the carry on with a shop maybe it is because I have tiring 5 year old to look after, home suits me and I make a good living. Good luck and having and renting a room would be a better choice for you and saves money in the long term. Ask a room rental on a commission basis instead if cash flow is a worry say 40/60 is typical in this field.

I set up my business at 26. 18 months ago. My dad lent me some money initially but that's all paid back now, then I used the profits to buy more and add more things. I'm hoping by the end of this year to add an extra 2 beauty rooms and an office.

I'm have a receptionist starting in September so I will have 2 therapists and a receptionist working for me.

I don't take a wage yet, and this is tough, my hubby doesn't earn a lot but we manage. I have 3 young children 8, 6 and 3 and they love it that mummy owns a beauty salon. My 2 girls come and have their nails done and think they are so grown up. I am making a future for us as a family and it will all be worth it in the end. I pick the kids up from school at least twice a week, never missed a sports day, assembly, first day, school Fayre, school fundraiser etc I work 5 minute walk from school and the school is a 10 minute walk form my home so it's all very close in case of an emergency.

I think it's never to early or late to start a business, it also doesn't matter if you had help or not. It is easier when you don't have children or a house as you have no worries and no huge outgoings but that doesn't mean it can't work for people who do have commitments.

Good luck for the future :)

Latest posts

Back