Shellac remover wraps, where am I going wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diana-Jane

Reaction score
i trained in shellac a few months ago and im really struggling with shellac removal.
i buy from fingertips and S2 so im only using genuine products and I've watched fingernailfixers video tutorials but the wraps just aren't working for me. i apply my basecoat and colours nice and thin, definitely not too thick and i soak the wraps in nourishing remover for 10 mins but i need to spend ages with remover on cotton pads once i take the wraps off. on average its taking me 45 mins to get the product completely off.
does anyone have an idea what i could be doing wrong?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Do you have any pictures from during the removals you've had problems with?

If what you are saying about your application is correct, then You must not be applying enough remover to the pads, or the wraps are loose rather than nice and tight, and the remover is evaporating away.

If you use 2 coats of top coat, removal will take longer
If the client is not using Solar Oil as she should, then the removal will take longer.
If the client wears Shellac for longer than the recommended 2 weeks, then removal will take longer.
If you do your job, they do their home care and come back in the recommended time for removal, then you should expect the same results I am getting and that CND say you will get.

Don't panic lovey! I was like this when I first started, could have cried when I did one of my removals and re shellac took me 2 hours.... no joke haha! Now I can remove and re shellac within hour- hour and 15 (if i'm gassing) which I'm more than happy with.

Ok so a few tips...

I don't use the Shellac remover wraps I prefer the Vamoos remover wraps, but just make sure that you have the shellac remover wraps positioned nice and tight on the finger and that the pad is on the nail properly.

When I first started I used to put all the wraps on, then time ten minutes, but you need to start timing from when the first wrap is on.

Remember the nourishing remover you leave on for less than 10 mins, it's quicker than d solve, think it's 8 minutes?? Someone will correct me if that's wrong.

When I first started I thought I was doing the base coat nice and thin, when knowing what I know now, it wasn't. Not saying that's the case, but it could be.

Sometimes I may have a tiny bit that is still on the nail, just soak your lint free wipe, hold and it will lift off.

Also when I do removal, to make it quicker on the whole, after I've removed the wrap and Shellac, I place a bead of cuticle away then move on to the next nail.

Not sure if you're doing this, but remember work on one nail at a time before going on to the next. Also a gentle massage between your fingers, twist and pull/slide the wrap off.

Once I have removed and cuticle away-ed each finger, I then remove cuticle, push back eponychium, shape, then de activate with soap and water and use a little mani brush and then scrub fresh.

I'm not teaching you to suck eggs after your recent training ;) , just a few tips I have found to help me.

xxx

thank you for replying everyone!

i didn't give my clients solar oil to use so i will need to try that. also today's client had her shellac on for 3 weeks as she couldnt make it to see me before that so that might be one of the issues.
i've been putting all my wraps on then starting the 10 minute countdown so is that not right?
i cant believe im finding it so difficult, on my training it was the easiest thing in the world!
when im putting on my basecoat it's as thin as i can make it and i only put on one layer of topcoat but i might be putting that on too thickly, would that cause problems?
Will try all the suggestions and see how i get on, thanks again!

i didn't give my clients solar oil to use so i will need to try that. also today's client had her shellac on for 3 weeks as she couldnt make it to see me before that so that might be one of the issues.
i've been putting all my wraps on then starting the 10 minute countdown so is that not right?
i cant believe im finding it so difficult, on my training it was the easiest thing in the world!
when im putting on my basecoat it's as thin as i can make it and i only put on one layer of topcoat but i might be putting that on too thickly, would that cause problems?

Solar Oil is a key home-care item for clients ... I can't believe you do not know that ! It is emphasised in every class, every post here ... There is no way you cannot know that.

BTW ... You do not give Solar Oil away ... The client needs to purchase it. If she doesn't then she can experience chipping and it will reduce the time her Shellac can be worn successfully. Do you not tell them that? Do you not hand out aftercare advice?

You really have to get your act together and start being the professional you should be if you are going to build any kind of business; it saves time, it saves hassle, it saves client complaints and it makes removal easier for YOU.
Plus it is what CND recommends! Come on.

lol Geeg i'll consider myself told off!
i did of course realise solar oil is a key home care item, but i thought it was for keeping the nails and cuticles in good condition, i honestly didn't realise it helped with removal. as i'm new to shellac, when im spending on products, having a good range of colours has been my priority over buying in solar oil to retail. but next time im shopping i will definitely stock up!

Hi honey start your count down from the first nail you wrap as that's when the dsolve or nourishing remover was first applied. Remember dsolve ten mins and remover is eight mins. Keep your coats thin including the top coat. Remember the top coat is slightly thicker in consistency than the base and colour coats. Just use a nice thin, even layer, ensuring to cover the colour coat.

You can get the aftercare info sheet from S2 and get that solar oil :) it is hard when you start out but you will make your money back in no time as it has a good retail mark up for you :)

Hugs x x x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I have used shellac for about 18months their removal wraps are poor as its difficult to get the pad to fit closely over the nail (so its in contact) as the wrap is really inflexible, so I use foilwraps from Magis which are foils with pad stuck on. The foil is much easier to manipulate around the nail to get a good contact from pad to nail. www.foilnailwraps.com

I also break the seal on the Shellac top coat by using a coarse nail file across and diagonally over the polish so that the gel remover can break down the polish quickly. This is only breaking the shellac topcoat seal, and does not touch the nail plate. Then I put hands in heated mitts and 6-7 mins later the first wrap is ready to be removed with a twist. (I originally trained with Bio Sculpture and this is their removal technique) While its taking I make the customer a drink and have a chat about the next colour she wants!

Solar Oil is great, but for the last 3-4 months when I've tried to order the retail kit, its been out of stock :irked:

I have used shellac for about 18months their removal wraps are poor as its difficult to get the pad to fit closely over the nail (so its in contact) as the wrap is really inflexible, so I use foilwraps from Magis which are foils with pad stuck on. The foil is much easier to manipulate around the nail to get a good contact from pad to nail. www.foilnailwraps.com

I also break the seal on the Shellac top coat by using a coarse nail file across and diagonally over the polish so that the gel remover can break down the polish quickly. This is only breaking the shellac topcoat seal, and does not touch the nail plate. Then I put hands in heated mitts and 6-7 mins later the first wrap is ready to be removed with a twist. (I originally trained with Bio Sculpture and this is their removal technique) While its taking I make the customer a drink and have a chat about the next colour she wants!

Solar Oil is great, but for the last 3-4 months when I've tried to order the retail kit, its been out of stock :irked:

There is no need to break the seal with Shellac. You have clearly not taken CND Shellac training so please do not ill advise people that have taken are trying to learn the correct removal procedure.

Happy Feet has given you great advise OP check you are doing everything as stated and try again, you will get the hang of it in no time.

Check out Holly AKA fingernailfixes Youtube Vid for an example of how thin the base coat should be to check whether you're on the right track.....:)

yes zooks she has given me very useful advice, thanks so much everyone for replying.
i think getting the wraps on tight enough is quite difficult but I'll keep on working at it! :)

Isn't it amazing ... I have been using Shellac for nearly 5 years! I have tried every leaky loose foil wrap on the market and I choose to only use the CND wraps because I find them the most successful at getting the removal process done quickly! Yes it took me a time or two to get the wrapping right and tight ... But it also took me a time or two two learn to wrap my babies bums up tight in their nappies (in my day we didn't have pampers). If a job is worth doing its worth doing right and sometimes that takes a little perseverance.

As for buffing the Shellac top cost to 'break the seal'? What seal? There is absolutely no advantage to buffing and NO BUFFING is one of the key USP's for Shellac ... which you would know if you had training with Shellac. Buffing is absolutely against CND protocol and should never be done by anyone. Knowing the science behind Shellac removal will explain exactly how Shellac removes and why it needs no buffing at all.

Salon Geek - The science video

As for Solar Oil, it is always in stock in one size or another and if the Remove Tubes are OOS then Solar Oil can be bought on its own, always ... No excuse not to be both using it and retailing it to every Shellac Client.

PS ... I would love to see your clients drinking their coffee in foil wraps and acetone leaking and running up their arm whilst doing it. :)

This is just a query but I know a few people that get 3 weeks out of there shellac and I was just wondering why It would take longer to remove if they have it on for longer than the recommend 2 weeks? :)

I use the magis foil nail wraps and they don't leak! The pad is very absorbent and once the wrap is in place you can do anything without the worry of acetone running anywhere apart from through the shellac. These foils are really good because you can remove them to check if the shellac has loosened and then re wrap! You can get a sample from Welcome to magis Foil Nail Wraps and I'm sure that once you have tried a few different brands of foils you will find what's right for you and hopefully find removal much easier

well I've just taken my shellac off using a split cotton pad, nourishing remover and tin foil in 12 minutes flat! so perhaps the cnd wraps just aren't for me. i felt so unprofessional spending all that time removing my clients shellac but this is definitely the method for me now. nothing unprofessional about fast effective removal with zero damage to the nails. what a difference!

Isn't it amazing ... I have been using Shellac for nearly 5 years! I have tried every leaky loose foil wrap on the market and I choose to only use the CND wraps because I find them the most successful at getting the removal process done quickly! Yes it took me a time or two to get the wrapping right and tight ... But it also took me a time or two two learn to wrap my babies bums up tight in their nappies (in my day we didn't have pampers). If a job is worth doing its worth doing right and sometimes that takes a little perseverance.

As for buffing the Shellac top cost to 'break the seal'? What seal? There is absolutely no advantage to buffing and NO BUFFING is one of the key USP's for Shellac ... which you would know if you had training with Shellac. Buffing is absolutely against CND protocol and should never be done by anyone. Knowing the science behind Shellac removal will explain exactly how Shellac removes and why it needs no buffing at all.

Salon Geek - The science video

As for Solar Oil, it is always in stock in one size or another and if the Remove Tubes are OOS then Solar Oil can be bought on its own, always ... No excuse not to be both using it and retailing it to every Shellac Client.

PS ... I would love to see your clients drinking their coffee in foil wraps and acetone leaking and running up their arm whilst doing it. :)

So well put as always. Hence why shellac training is available and advised and everyone should use the system, if there was a problem with any part of a cnd system then cnd would change it.

I've had the training. in my experience the wraps are ineffective and often don't stick closed tight properly. what's wrong with finding an alternative that works?

I've had the training. in my experience the wraps are ineffective and often don't stick closed tight properly. what's wrong with finding an alternative that works?

Why have to find an alternative when the original works so well? If they work for thousands of users why not you?

I've never had a CND wrap not stick together even when Acetone is present! One reason they are so brilliant to use. :D

If you want an alternative then go for it, but frankly I'd be embarrassed to say that a wrap ... A perfectly excellent wrap to thousands ... was beating me!! I'd make sure I knew how to use them, because they work just great. JMHO

Last edited:
if there not sticking properly you are loading the pad with too much remover which is then wetting the sticky tab, there are tricky to get the hang of but once you do you won't go back.

I have a few repeat customers because I'm the only tech in my area (and an affluent one at that) who is using the whole system , wraps and all. They know then there are getting the full service as the wraps are branded.

I couldn't live without them :)

I use magis wraps on the toes as I find them easier to manage but i use CND wraps on the fingers as looks more professional but I get great results with both 😄 certainly nothing embarrassing about giving a good professional service, you just need to find what works for you 😄

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back