0 hour contract

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayley-May

Reaction score
Right, sorry if I ramble on a bit but I really need your opinions!
I started a job as a therapist in the middle of December, the company said we'll put you on a 0 hour contract (ad hoc) because we won't have much work for you through January but then at the end of January we should be able to offer you regular hours and change your contract!
I looked forward to this day as i was looking forward to working for a good company with good training prospects etc and didn't mind working part time but the idea was to gradually build up the hours to full time (they knew I needed at least 16 hours a week and wanted to be full time by the end of this year)
So I basically worked every second I could between Xmas and new year but then POOF no hours through out January (expected at least a few but thought I'd ride it out anyway)
So the end of January came and they gave me loads of random hours for feb and march (no set days) BRILL I thought! Untill they started ringing me the night before most shifts and sometimes that morning when I'm already dressed for work, saying they don't need me, there's no clients for me etc.. So yesterday I rang up and said I wouldn't be working there anymore ( I've been offered a part time job with regular hours going to full time in September when someone leaves for uni :D yay!) in my contract (which is still 0 hours) it says I can do this without working any notice blah blah blah. But they said 'no you can't do this to us we need you to work notice we've booked you for holiday cover up to September blah blah blah and said they would deduct from my wages if I left without working 2weeks notice! I'm supposed to start with my new place on Saturday!!!
I probably already know the answer but what should I do?!?! Xxxx love you guys I know you'll help me xxxxx

contract

Right, sorry if I ramble on a bit but I really need your opinions!
I started a job as a therapist in the middle of December, the company said we'll put you on a 0 hour contract (ad hoc) because we won't have much work for you through January but then at the end of January we should be able to offer you regular hours and change your contract!
I looked forward to this day as i was looking forward to working for a good company with good training prospects etc and didn't mind working part time but the idea was to gradually build up the hours to full time (they knew I needed at least 16 hours a week and wanted to be full time by the end of this year)
So I basically worked every second I could between Xmas and new year but then POOF no hours through out January (expected at least a few but thought I'd ride it out anyway)
So the end of January came and they gave me loads of random hours for feb and march (no set days) BRILL I thought! Untill they started ringing me the night before most shifts and sometimes that morning when I'm already dressed for work, saying they don't need me, there's no clients for me etc.. So yesterday I rang up and said I wouldn't be working there anymore ( I've been offered a part time job with regular hours going to full time in September when someone leaves for uni :D yay!) in my contract (which is still 0 hours) it says I can do this without working any notice blah blah blah. But they said 'no you can't do this to us we need you to work notice we've booked you for holiday cover up to September blah blah blah and said they would deduct from my wages if I left without working 2weeks notice! I'm supposed to start with my new place on Saturday!!!
I probably already know the answer but what should I do?!?! Xxxx love you guys I know you'll help me xxxxx

contract

Hi Hun. 0 hour contracts are only in favour of the employer, and yes you have to work your contracted hours for 2 weeks notice... Which is in your favour now, as your contracted to a big fat 0!
They can't deduct wages for work booked in for future. That's just reduculous xoxo

Hey, you will need to give them notice, 2 weeks in your case but that's all.
x

I would suggest contacting CAB. It's a 0 hour contract so basically you're don't have any hrs to work. Yrs ago I worked for Toys R Us all through Christmas and some of jan (temp) they offered me a 0hr contract, I refused, left and signed on. I was then told I would not receive benefits as I was offered a contract and I refused. After I explained what they offered me the guy shook his head, signed my book, laughed and told me I would receive money from them. A lot of company's offer these contracts as its in their favour as if someone is off ill then you will be called there and then. You are at their beck and Call and if you have young kids then you have to run about looking for someone to look after them. These hours are no good to anyone and companies should not be allowed to offer these. I would seek advice. Hope it all works out for you:)xx

I know exactly how you feel, i am currently on a 0 hour contract in a clothes shop. When you read through your contract they would or should have put what notice you have to give them. In my case i have to give them 3 weeks notice however they only have to give 1!

If this is not stated then you are entitled to just leave. Ask to look at your contract again.

Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

My contact says "the company may end an agreed period of work at any time without prior notice or liability. You may terminate an agreed period of work at any time by immediately informing the company" but they still say they will deduct from my wages because I'll be costing them money as I agreed the the next months hours xxx

My contact says "the company may end an agreed period of work at any time without prior notice or liability. You may terminate an agreed period of work at any time by immediately informing the company" but they still say they will deduct from my wages because I'll be costing them money as I agreed the the next months hours xxx

And if they changed their mind then you wouldn't have them hours. If your contract says immediate you can not be deducted from and they can not deduct anything you have not yet had or taken be it uniform or items belonging
To the company you have not returned.
If they in force it then go to a solicitor that may write you a free letter or give you a half hour meeting free of charge xoxo

Hmm I am sure if you will take it farther this will be consider unfair by any judge.

Go to your new job and forget about them. They can't make you work the 2 weeks. What a joke! Some people just shouldn't be in business. Good luck in your new job. X

I used to work in payroll.

It's illegal for them to make deductions without your consent.

Speak to acas. They're great, solely there to give legal advice to employees. Home - Acas Mobile

Latest posts

Back