100% natural or organic spray tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use MoroccanTan it is beautiful, and uses all natural ingredients, it also is infused with Argan Oil x

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

ORGANIC .. is something containing carbon elements. the word is so twisted in the beauty industry. nothing containing water is truly organic. water is a compound of hydrogen and oxygen. hence it is not organic.. Alcohol however is and thats not good for the Skin. We use 2 sugars in our solution one derived from sugar beet the other from raspberries. if we used no preservatives or non organic water bacteria would soon take hold and it would last about 2 weeks before it looks like a dirty green gold fish bowl we use organic eco cert DHA as active ingredients and Non organics like WATER !! the Organic tab is very very misleading our tan is as organic as you can get. we have a preservative as does milk, yoghurt fruit juice without it the tan would last a few weeks

This post unfortunately creates confusion about organic spray tan solutions. Organic has a number of definitions.

(a) Organic as discussed by Steve is an organic chemistry concept that means a compound has carbon molecules in its makeup.
Examples – sugar substances including DHA, proteins, vitamins, carbohydrates, fats, carbon dioxide, wood, plastics, gasoline, alcohol, paper, textiles, etc.

Or,

(b) Organic meaning coming from or made with products of organic agriculture. Organic agriculture mandates nominal use of artificial chemicals in the growing or processing steps and this is tightly controlled. When consumers buy “organic” food, this is what they get. These are considered the most “natural” products available.
Globally, various standards have been developed to certify organic products i.e. NOP, Soil Association, Ecocert, BDIH, etc.

What does the customer believe when the word organic is used? They expect organic as in natural and not organic as in most compounds found in life (including synthetics)!

Contrary to Steve’s assertion, Ecocert does not certify organic DHA. The July statement from Ecocert as posted in Salon Geek dispelled that myth.

It is possible to achieve Ecocert organic certification for tanning products. I see above that TanOrganic has achieved that. Good for them.

I agree to an extent that the word organic is twisted in the beauty industry and its use in the spray tanning community is badly abused. This and the claim of all-natural can be fixed. It will require manufacturers to be forthright.

Last edited:
Thanks I appreciate your reply :)
I've tried nouvatan in the past and it's only the active ingredients that are natural/organic. So just organic DHA (possibly organic Aloa Vera as well if my memory is correct)
I'm looking for one that has natural or organic colours, preservatives and fragrance as well xxx

Hi Jenx

unfortunately it is a fact of life that there are many false claims made by manufacturers on there products being 100% organic and as such many are inappropriately mislead and I agree with Steve that the term Organic is used loosely in some cases.

Manufacturers and brand owners do need to be responsible and accurate when describing the attributes of there product...the same applies to Rapid tans in particular...simply using a higher percentage DHA does not constitute that the product is specifically formulated as a rapid tan product :rolleyes:

In reality Organic,Paraben free,natural ingredients,Vegan,nut free,contains this and that are all,in the main, marketing means (of course with some element of belief behind them )

The sunless tanning sector is still relatively young compared to other beauty sectors such as waxing etc and ,like nails,hair etc we also follow the trends ...why ..because we have to listen to what the media driven consumer wants...what is "trendy" today becomes the norm or "old hat " in no time at all

Organic based products in the spray tan sector have been around for a good few years now and will of course remain an important part of this sector however as the sector further develops and manufacturers respond to consumer demand through new trends and solutions will evolve to fill this market

Indeed the new buzz is Vegan based products as well as many other "marketing driven" additives ....such as a resent one which is specifically targeted at the male sector which includes Pheromones to help a man attract women :eek:....all developed specifically to make sales

So unfortunately to find a 100% organic solution is something that will take time and plenty of question asking

The best way forward for you is to contact the various manufacturers out there,ask specific questions and then get samples and find one in particular that best ticks all the right boxes for you

HTH :hug:

Last edited:
Yes its got to be ECO-CERT DHA and top ingredient in this day and age of sunless tanning, technicians are working with the stuff all day and best for customers :) x

Hi Jenx

So unfortunately to find a 100% organic solution is something that will take time and plenty of question asking

HTH :hug:

A clarification on this Collin. Since DHA itself is not organic, a 100% organic solution is not possible. With DHA running something like 8 to 12% in most solutions, an organic % in the upper 80s is as high as you can get.

Since the word organic has been so widely abused by spray tan solution marketers, spray tanning pros should ask the organic manufacturers for their product's organic certification. It is the only way to be confident with organic status.

Yes its got to be ECO-CERT DHA and top ingredient in this day and age of sunless tanning, technicians are working with the stuff all day and best for customers :) x

Ecocert stated in July that they do not certify DHA. The statement can be seen in the following link:
Ecocert - DHA Statement July 2014

It is possible for a finished solution to gain organic certification from Ecocert.
To achieve that the product must 1). fully comply with the Ecocert standard and 2). must be made in an Ecocert certified facility.

What about Aviva Labs. I have not tried myself (yet) but have read good reviews about it and think it meets your requirements :)

Interesting that Aviva has been called last week out for what they portray as organic solutions

The company says

"Aviva Labs - Organic Spray Tanning"

Typical Aviva Solution ingredients from The Tanning Store

Aqua (Purified Water), Dihydroxyacetone, Decyl Polyglucose, Isopropyl Myristate, Xanthan Gum, Propylene Glycol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Diazolidinyl Urea, Citric Acid, Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140), Red 40 (CI 16035)

Parabens? Almost all the ingredients are synthetics!
How can this be organic? I am confused.
Perhaps the company could explain.

Latest posts

Back