180 grit on natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHarryWinston

Reaction score
Sorry seeing SO MANY conflicting arguments here.
About to invest in some files and just want to make sure...

So are we saying NO to 180 grit for shaping the free edge of a natural nail? It seems like such a perfect all purpose grit. But there seems to be a lot of "240 grit or else..." going around these days.
I've done a ton of searches both on SG and google but it keeps conflicting.

Just want to make sure.

Any of the courses I have been on have stated "240 only" on a natural nail.

I thought it was 240

Cool, I've been using 240 but it's time to buy some more and wasn't sure if I should stick with it or could be working with fewer files.
At the moment I work with
100/180 Blizzard
100/180 non branded black (shaping plastic tips I find they work better than a blizzard)
240/1200 koala
Shiner/buffer

And then am thinking of adding 240 kanga because apperantly they are easier to do shaping with than the koala?
Then started wondering if I was going a touch overboard with all of these files...

Cool, I've been using 240 but it's time to buy some more and wasn't sure if I should stick with it or could be working with fewer files.
At the moment I work with
100/180 Blizzard
100/180 non branded black (shaping plastic tips I find they work better than a blizzard)
240/1200 koala
Shiner/buffer

And then am thinking of adding 240 kanga because apperantly they are easier to do shaping with than the koala?
Then started wondering if I was going a touch overboard with all of these files...

Have you tried nsi dura files?! They last so much longer than cnd!

240 grit for shaping but I was actually taught to prep for enhancement with a 180 on the bed but I use a 240 as I'm so heavy handed and I have no probs with adhesion x

Have you tried nsi dura files?! They last so much longer than cnd!

240 grit for shaping but I was actually taught to prep for enhancement with a 180 on the bed but I use a 240 as I'm so heavy handed and I have no probs with adhesion x

CND files are the only branded files I've ever used. Maybe I'll check out the dura files but I'm really liking the cnd ones. Loooooove the koala buffer and the shiner.
But I'll try the endurance files. I'll throw a couple different grits in my next order to test out.

Yes, you need Kanga files to shape and refine natural nails. The Koala is a buffer and is not meant for that job, the 240 side of it is for removing shine from the natural nail for enhancements.
You will find shaping the nail much easier with the Kanga.

Yes, you need Kanga files to shape and refine natural nails. The Koala is a buffer and is not meant for that job, the 240 side of it is for removing shine from the natural nail for enhancements.
You will find shaping the nail much easier with the Kanga.

Thanks, I had been hoping I could use the 240 side of the Koala for double duty. But it's thickness is rather awkward.

Latest posts

Back