36 too old to become a hairdresser???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi i'm 31 and have around 8wks left to my NVQ 2 beauty course, I love it.
It was a little scary at first in a room with a load af 18 yrs olds but I have had the best time and get on well with all the girls.
I say go for it, why not?????
you will be great xx

If everyone in the hair industry is only half as nice and encouraging as the people who have posted replies on here Im sure I will be fine. Really glad I found this site, I have found lots of really useful stuff on here. :biggrin::D
P.S Just one more thing, can anyone offer advice on where is the best place to train, at local college or go to a training academy where you pay quite a bit of money and do each level over a period of a few months. I'm a bit dubious about the latter. many thanks x

Saks Academies have a very good reputation. Not sure what your local colleges are like, but beware the 20 week intensive courses, Even with an NVQ2, salons wouldn't consider you fully trained after such a short course.

when i did my college course i was 16 , lol ... and their was students in my year who were older than 36 and they were really good they had dedication which a lot of us kids at the time didnt !! (i was known to slam college at times , lmao ) by the end of the 2 yr full time course i had changed a lot and was going on to do my level 3 and then start teaching (as my tutor bullied me into it , lol ) ... i ended up quitting the level 3 whioch haunts me to the day !!! as i could have done it but to be honest couldnt be assed with the paperwork , ha since then... the amount of paper work i have done for courses is unreal !!!!
go for it , you only live once , and at least you cant sit back saying i wish i had done that etc... :hug:

theres a 52 year old on the level 2 course im on, so dont be scared about it all and just go for it i say! and this from our college website:

Three former James Watt College students are celebrating a year of success after opening up their own hairdressing salon since leaving College. Lynne McKechnie (30) from Port Glasgow, Lynsey Blyth (28) from Greenock and Charlotte More (39) from Greenock struck up a friendship on the SVQ Level II Hairdressing course and decided to combine their entrepreneurial skills and their hairdressing talent by opening Halo Hair Salon on Holmscroft Street in Greenock. The trio are now helping the next generation of stylists hone their skills by taking on James Watt College students for work experience placements. Lynne said, “It was literally in the last few weeks of our course at James Watt that we started talking about setting up our own business. We had all done work experience at salons as part of our SVQ Level III and we were sure this was the industry we wanted to be in and that we would prefer to be our own bosses and have our own business rather than working for someone else.” “We started off as a mobile business until our premises were ready. During that time we also got in touch with Business Gateway and took a couple of courses with them to help us with the administration side of the salon.” “This was undoubtedly, for all three of us, the best decision we have ever made. We have built the business up from scratch and it’s doing really well. And we’re in business with good friends, which makes it even better.”

just goes to show you not everyone that studies hairdressing full time at college are 16 year olds wasting their time!! :)

Latest posts

Back