A few questions.........

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigglymushroom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

im a qualified beauty and holistic therapist and have recently started my own business from home (18 months ago) to be honest it has been very slow as I have only been offering holistic treatments as I live at the moment in Norway and found it difficult to obtain products equipment etc.

I hope to relocate to Aberdeen in the summer and would love to continue my business there ,possibly mobile depending on what house we get to rent.

Im thinking of switching to more beauty treatments. Im qualified in Acrylic nails with star nails and thinking about a conversion class so I can get working with more up to date products( im really out the loop since leaving the UK) I also want to offer spray tan and eyelashes but after asking around and speaking with my friends a few girls who have trained in my home town (newcastle area ) have been quite negative saying the market is flooded with places offering discounted spray tans and that mobile work is a no go. Is this the case ? The same with the eyelashes, they feel they would rather buy strip lashes and apply themselves then pay the prices for the professional lashes. Is this a fair view ? this was just based on conversations with 40-50 girl friends..............

Im really keen to learn and work hard at my business but worried my excitement is just getting me carried away.

im confused and lost my happy vibe !

thanks everyone xx

I think you should persue with the holistic still and promote them in the correct way and to the correct people. Perhaps many people in your area are not aware of what your holistic treatments include? Ill admit in my area the salons and therapists are more focused on the beauty rather than holistic so many people are not interested. Start some special offers to reel the clients in, once they have tried it im sure they will continue to have the holistic treatments.

Is this competitors advice that have said this to you? If it is then dont listen as they are trying to put you off. Dont take any notice of what salon is offering what at a certain price. As long as you are good and offer your clients a brilliant service then you will get repeat clients. Many of my clients love that i provide mobile spray tanning as its so convenient for them.
I think spray tanning is something you should go for as its very busy (and my area is also flooded with salons offering tans and many of them offering tans cheaply) But i still get clients!

Im not too sure with the eyelashes as i dont do the individual ones i do the ones that last upto 2 weeks and i charge £15 for. but again dont listen to chit chatter or that people think it wont go well because people wont pay allot or there is too much competition. Focus on your own business and follow what you want to do.
How do you know these salons who offer cheap tans they may be really cr*p?

Hths x

Thanks for your reply.
A few girls are in the business, one girl trained in spray tan and hasnt developed a business from it.

Maybe the problem lies with me and my own confidence..........

Its been a few years, think Ill visit some shows and attend some more training and get back into the mix.

This site is a great motivation, thanks again.

Shelley x

Its a tricky climate at the moment, and you just need to ride it out, stay focussed positive, up to date. Dont put yourself down, have pride and confidence in yourself and you will do it!!!!!!xxx

Latest posts

Back