A rant on youtube makeup artists

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sugarrush

Reaction score
I'm not a professional MUA so I have no stake in the game. I am not even particularly good at doing my own makeup however I find the majority of youtube videos to be rubbish. Fair enough not everyone is good at it, but it's kind of annoying browsing through 20 pages of mediocre makeup from every tom dick and harry.

Here is what I see on youtube

-foundations that look ashy or muddy
- eyeshadow colors that are too light
- eyeshadow blending , I have yet to see someone blend eyeshadow seamlessly, it almost always looks like the wearer is a brazilian soccer supporter who painted their face
- nude lips that make the wearer look pale and ghostly

Most of these people have no natural intuition with color, light and dimension. I don't care if I sound harsh, we need to weed out the good from the bad.

There are many great professional MUA's on YouTube, I have seen some excellent tutorials that are really helpful. Maybe take another look 😊.

X.

Emilynoel is my fave youtube make up artist. Her vids are top notch!

To the op. If you do want to watch some good makeup artists check out pixiewoo. They even have their own brand of brushes called real techniques that are excellent

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Youtube is open to anyone so of course there'll be some bad ones. Just switch them off!!

There's loads of really REALLY talented and entertaining makeup gurus on youtube. It's just a case of finding some you like.

I watched one the other day (looking at contouring because I'm not great at it) some of the things she said were just wrong, based on application of the rest of the make up, however I did find some amazing videos and the before and after shots really inspired me to keep practising. So keep looking, you will find some awesome ones on there honestly x

totally agree, i have soooo many feels about this topic

although i consider myself to be pretty good at makeup application i am by no means a professional but yet you CONSTANTLY see the same look being done over and over again, and the over done eyebrows with the too light concealer shadow from hell all around them

what bothers me is that none of these girls really get it, and they cause more trouble than anything else, people who honestly have no clue how to make themselves up depend on these tutorials and they get so frustrated thinking they have to buy high end because the "gurus" are using them.

esp. considering the number of young impressionable girls who watch this videos.

it's insane, i feel like EVERY video should have a disclaimer like some people don't understand that certain shades of colors don't look as nice on certain skin tones. that's why i hate when they give exact names & shades of the products they use, their followers for the most part believe they have to buy that exact one and then wonder why the look doesn't look as nice on them

makeup isn't rocket science, it's so easy for someone - who already know what colors and formulations work for them - to make themselves look good.

honestly i would just like it if before every application these girls would just come out and say, "remember, you need to find colors that look best on YOUR skin tone, that should be the most important thing you should take from this video."

^^sorry for the rant, i just feel so strongly about this lol

if you want some actual professionals who work in the industry REGULARLY then i suggest:
sincitymakeup and
zukret (not sure i spelled it right)
gossmakeupartist

she's a licensed esthetician, (she does mostly body/face painting) but she's worth every second you spend watching her although the grand majority of her looks are not wearable in public outside of the holidays you can learn SOOOOO MUCH about blending and color theory from her:
madeyewlook

also, i like watching special effects make up artists, those kids do magic and you can learn a lot of tips and tricks that can make every day make a breeze:
Kiana Jones SFX is a good one

I think if anyone feel so strongly that some of the tutorials are rubbish and the techniques etc are bad then just simply don't watch them.

There's loads of great MUA's on YouTub and loads of less good. You watch the ones that you like or can learn from. As for "weeding them out", that's bonkers. Plenty of people are good at makeup (and arguably better than some makeup artists I've seen!).
Doing the training doesn't mean you have any natural talent for it.

I'm going to look up the ones suggested here as my daughter is very interested in getting into make up :) thanks

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek mobile app

Pixiwoo are exceptional

Latest posts

Back