Theater makeup geeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkle_girl

Reaction score
Hey guys! Does anyone have any experience with theater makeup? I am doing makeup for Seussical at our community theater and need bright long lasting colors that will withstand perspiration and heat from the lights. I want the characters to look very cartoon-like, so I'm really wanting to create them using face paint, because I love that look for this concept.
I've heard great things about Mehron's Starblends, but even though it says you can use them wet/dry, everyone seems to use them dry. ?? I'm looking to use a wet product. I would love to use Mehron's Paradise paints and wonder if a mixing liquid and barrier spray will have them hold up like the Starblends. Have also heard good things about Ben Nye's Magicakes.
Any of you have any advice to share? I've been watching youtube videos and reading descriptions like crazy. I'm just not really finding what I'm looking for. Thanks so much for your help. :)

I adore mehron paradise, the smell is gorgeous :) I would look into diamind fx black or wolf black for linework though. Grimas face paints are pretty good too, and quite a lot cheaper than mehron. But same advise goes for the black for linework.

I use proface (or similar brand) no sweat under the make up. You can guess what that does ;) although it contains witch hazel so warn the blokes if they've just shaved! ouch! I use kryolans fixing spray (I get it from facepaint uk). Keeps it there for hours and hours! Makes it smudge resistant too :) which is useful in the case if costume changes!

Pic attached was all done using mehron paradise :) x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1391183102550.jpg
    1391183102550.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 102
Oh and I don't like starblends at all! I've dekoted them to eyeshadows! Lol xx

*demoted

Any fantasy makeup I've done has been with eye shadows as they were just for photo shoots, etc. So on one hand, I'm familiar with that, but really want the color payoff and vibrancy that the paints give and don't want to deal with fallout, etc. When I read about them, they said wet/dry, but then any video I've watched everyone says they don't like them as paints, but love them as powders. :irked:

I was drawn to the Paradise paints because of color options and vibrancy, plus everyone seems to love them. This is ideally what I want, but am so afraid of melting. Do you think using the Mehron mixing liquid and barrier spray will solve that? Also, how come everyone says they love Paradise, but suggest a different company for lining/details (like Wolfe & Ben Nye)?

Thank you for your response! I very much appreciate it. If it were just for shoots, I'd go Paradise hands down. Just worried about the sweat and stage lights. :(

The reason people suggest a different brand for linework is because of the formulation of the paradise, it doesn't give quite as crisp a line than dfx or wolfe. Paradise is fine for linework, but the others are better. Same goes for white actually too. Paradise is beautiful for white base, however, not as good as wolfe white for linework. The wolfe stays beautifully opaque over any colour with just one stroke, however the paradise will need going over leading to messy linework.

I have never had any experience using the mixing liquid. I've never needed to use it. To be honest I'm not sure how the paint would fare under the hot lights, but I think if the skin was well prepped and it was fixed I can see that it would be a problem xx

*I can't see that it woukd be a problem

I've always used kryolan for stage, either supra colour, or if you're looking for more of a pro "face paint" type product, then aqua colour.

The palettes are fab, and the colours are really vibrant. They make a fab uv glow palette of aqua colour too!

As mentioned above, the kryolan fixier spray makes it last forever too!

Latest posts

Back