About non-standard salons what should I do...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah.Payne

Reaction score
I came across this info about NSS
http://www.beautytech.com/articles/mmafactsheet.pdf
I already know all that but I am cusious, should you ever fill a set of nails if they come with NSS? Apply your EMA acrylic over the MMA chop shop nails? If they have a problem it probably doesnt show up instintly then you apply your acrylic over theirs and they end up with a problem from the old nails but it looks like you did it... what do you guys do when someone comes with different nails either from a reptual salon or a chop shop, will you fill someone else's work?

I personally choose not to fill anyone else's work. I did with someone once, and it made my Brisa look like CRAP.

Next time, I took them off and did a new set, and they've been fab ever since. The product before was actually bio-gel, and they looked terrible. Bad tech I guess.

I absolutely would neeeeeeeeeeeeeever fill discount salon nails. ever. REMOVE!

My "personal" choice is to rebalance over them, reducing them as thinly as possible.

I'm VERY familiar with the work done at my local NSS.
They all cause severe nail plate damage, and they all use MMA (very obvious in the smell when filing, and other characteristics).
If the client names one of the 5 who's 'work' I've dealt with before... automatically rebalanced.

I have found that when the nails are damaged THAT much... 1) clients experience discomfort 2) quality products are not fans of damaged nail plates and we wind up with lifting issues (which results in further damage if the 'lift' gets caught and pulls more at the nail plate).

By applying a glitter-fade OR a two tone CBM french, we camouflage the yellow discoloured L&P until such time as it grows out.

By doing this, I achieve:
- reducing client's cost
- reducing client's discomfort
- reduce my own suffering at filing for AAAAAAAAGES because that stuff just won't soak off
- reduce their time spent with me (because removal takes ages) and if they're accustomed to the speed of NSS... then they'll be thrown off by my average 1.5hr to 2hr appointments (when there's art....).

I discuss their options in full with them, explaining everything. In the end, THEY make the choice which route they want to take. They usually choose the above.

I've had happier clients this way, than when I did it the other way.

hth's

My "personal" choice is to rebalance over them, reducing them as thinly as possible.

I'm VERY familiar with the work done at my local NSS.
They all cause severe nail plate damage, and they all use MMA (very obvious in the smell when filing, and other characteristics).
If the client names one of the 5 who's 'work' I've dealt with before... automatically rebalanced.

I have found that when the nails are damaged THAT much... 1) clients experience discomfort 2) quality products are not fans of damaged nail plates and we wind up with lifting issues (which results in further damage if the 'lift' gets caught and pulls more at the nail plate).

By applying a glitter-fade OR a two tone CBM french, we camouflage the yellow discoloured L&P until such time as it grows out.

By doing this, I achieve:
- reducing client's cost
- reducing client's discomfort
- reduce my own suffering at filing for AAAAAAAAGES because that stuff just won't soak off
- reduce their time spent with me (because removal takes ages) and if they're accustomed to the speed of NSS... then they'll be thrown off by my average 1.5hr to 2hr appointments (when there's art....).

I discuss their options in full with them, explaining everything. In the end, THEY make the choice which route they want to take. They usually choose the above.

I've had happier clients this way, than when I did it the other way.

hth's

ok thanks!

I personally choose not to fill anyone else's work. I did with someone once, and it made my Brisa look like CRAP.

Next time, I took them off and did a new set, and they've been fab ever since. The product before was actually bio-gel, and they looked terrible. Bad tech I guess.

I absolutely would neeeeeeeeeeeeeever fill discount salon nails. ever. REMOVE!

Totally agree. Get em and get the the decent stuff on instead.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Totally agree. Get em and get the the decent stuff on instead.

That was meant to say get em off. Stupid phone

I do the same as V ,

I pit it in simple tearms for the clients ;
"Good quality products attach to the keratin ,
Bad quality products attach to a rough surface" ,

So removing and replacing with a good product almost always seems to end in lifting and issues followed by the client returning to NSS where the "nails never lifted"

And with true MMA nails removal tales so long , and causes discomfort as it uncovers a whole host of un noticed issues ,

Explain this to the client in consultation , before you touch her nails, and that it will take several return appointments and long term commitment from them to there enhancements ,

The fact she is at your table and probably knows you charge more ect probably means she has already realized how bad it was before , even If she is acting suprised,

Its up to them If they want to leave and go back to NSS or stay .

Instead of removal I thin out / de bulk what I can ,

Re structure the nail including the growth area , this bit will be heathy un touched nail,

After finishing they WILL look like cra& there will be color difference , this is why they either get art or polish, you could do an opaque overlay and French but the de bulking at the start will take extra time so I wouldn't ,

Next time repeat , Until it's totally grown out,

I feel stupid asking this, but you surely wouldn't rebalance a discount salon acrylic if you use gel? :confused: I've never filled them, so now that I'm considering it, I'm confused.

I personally choose not to fill anyone else's work.

Really?
How is that work for you? Is that normal where you are ?

My clients would not go for that lol
Where I used to work was by the beach I had to do alot of Maintenance on holiday people's nails ,

Where I am now is not exactly a holiday area but I still have to maintain other people's work some good some bad but I really wouldn't have time to remove and replace all of them,

Really?
How is that work for you? Is that normal where you are ?

My clients would not go for that lol
Where I used to work was by the beach I had to do alot of Maintenance on holiday people's nails ,

Where I am now is not exactly a holiday area but I still have to maintain other people's work some good some bad but I really wouldn't have time to remove and replace all of them,

Every single lovely client who's walked into my salon has the most awful, disgusting nails on. People come to me to have their nails fixed, not filled one time. I will soak off after filing off the bulk, then prep their poor nail and apply either Shellac or gel. It honestly doesn't take me very long. Maybe like 2 hours absolute max if re-doing the gels.

I feel stupid asking this, but you surely wouldn't rebalance a discount salon acrylic if you use gel? :confused: I've never filled them, so now that I'm considering it, I'm confused.

You can , I have , I'm not sure if you can with a soak off gel , but like you I use Brisa and can do it with that,

They are both acrylic just different to start with

The NSS type of nail is always a bit Trial and error at the start, explaine this to the client
, but once you get it you won't have a problem,

The annoying NSS type I come up Against here in Germany is a GEL ! :)

I'll give it a try next time.

I've only ever had one issue with one client because she likes to pick, and then go at her own nail plate with a drug store emery board.

going to kill her :mad:

PMSL , that's no way to get return clients , DEXTER of the nail world hehehe xxx

lol she'll probably go back to her discount salon. bye. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back