About to have a baby and work from home doing nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have a small baby and manage to continue doing nail clients from home? I am 6 months pregnant and do spray tans and nails (Bio-Gel and Shellac) My hubby working one week at home one away in the mining industry...

Considering my average nails set with bio takes 1 1/2 hrs incl soak off and reapplication I dont know if I could manage that with a newborn?

Any tips? How long did people take off or did you take off any time at all? I am imagining I can continue to spray tan provided I do not have a C section as the time frame is short..

Thank you for any suggestions or advice

L :Love:

ps I am not sure I posted in correct section?

Can't help you with that, but good luck xx

Hi there,

I have two children and I completed two degrees while raising them. As for nails; I do them at night. My kids go to bed around 630-7 and that is when I did all my studying and is now when I do all my clients nails.

I don't think I will take clients during the day while my kids are awake (until they're self-sufficient obviously or with a babysitter). I've done some friends nails while my kids were up and it always ends up with them either needing attention or needing something to eat/drink. Lol.

So if you choose to work evenings its doable but working on nails while your newborn is up could be a real challenge. My boys are 16 months and 4 years. They're lovely and very well behaved, it's just simply a challenge because they do require so much of my time and attention at these ages.

I started my regulars after 6 weeks but only the odd hour here and there, thing to remember is newborns feed a LOT! Especially if you choose to breasted. my daughter is now 5 Months and I still don't work full time and keep my evenings clear as when she goes to bed that is my only rest time. I know if you need work to pay the bills it can be tricky but don't rush back into it if you don't have to, they say the first 3 months is like the fourth trimester, its so true and you'll need to/want to be with your new bundle :) x

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Totally agree Gem. Should have also mentioned that I didn't start doing nails until my youngest was 6 months and I'm still only doing them here and there. Looking to work more now though for sure.

:lol:
First of all congrats. I recently found out im pregnant again and am thinking of how im going to fit everythimg in. I have a two year old already. I have tried doing nails (for my mum) at home when little one awake, it doesnt work he wants all the attention on him lol. Also tried doing my own when he has had a nap, also a no go im afraid he always seems to wake up just before im finished so my nails get messed and end up having to redo them at night when hes in bed. If your going to be working from home you will need a babysitter or friend to keep an eye on little one.
good luck x

I've 2 children both in school so see clients during school hours and then in evening once the youngest is in bed.

Is this your first baby?
If it is enjoy first time motherhood and don't put pressure on yourself it will only cause your stress

I have three kids including a six month old son. I do clients when they are in bed! X

Sent from my GT-S5363 using Tapatalk 2

I closed my salon and started working from home when I decided to have another child as I missed out on her older sister growing up! I thought it would be easy as new babies sleep a lot! (Wrong!!)

When the baby was born, she was very difficult and required lots of attention, I found that I could only work on clients nails if they had someone with them to hold the baby whilst she screamed, or if I had someone at the house to help! Along with other problems at the time. It was simply untenable to work with my baby around. and made treatments difficult. So unless your child is of a very calm nature, I should think without a carer you won't get many sets of nails done! You could probably do tans tho as you say, but somehow it's all in the timing!

I started out when my youngest was 8 weeks and have been lucky to have my husband at home evenings and weekends so I work when he gets home to take over the kids. Give yourself some time though, I only started so soon because I needed to start from scratch with training and a hell of a lot of practice!

As a mum to an 11 month old daughter, and who breastfed until she was 8 months old, I cant comment on doing nails whilst having a newborn around, but I can comment on the demand that a newborn has on your time and energy, and as stated above, they like to be fed ALOT!!

If I were you, I would embrace and enjoy your little one, rest rest rest whenever you can, and ease your way back into business.

That said, only you will know if you can physically do it, I was massively sleep deprived when my little un was first born, but whatever you do enjoy it!

Love to you and your family - babies are the best!!! :p

Hi lozenja,

I'm in the same boat as you :) I'm 8 months pregnant. I already have a 19 month old son, I had been doing all my nail & tanning clients in the evening.
As many others have said baby's need a lot of feeding etc during the day. So you will only mainly get time in evening, I had planned on working up to 2 weeks before my baby was due, but I've had midwife appt this morning and been told as I have SPD I need to stop working now and I should get plenty of bed rest.
How I am ment to do that with a toddler I'll never know.
Once I have had my baby I will hopefully go back to work 2 evenings a week, this way I will still keep up to date with nails etc and it will be near Christmas so hopefully very busy too :)
Good luck and all the best with your pregnancy xx

Im hoping my husband can help on his week at home. He is keen!! We dont really need the money but I enjoy working and dont want to lose my regulars. But I also want to be realistic...

Hi lozenja,

I'm in the same boat as you :) I'm 8 months pregnant. I already have a 19 month old son, I had been doing all my nail & tanning clients in the evening.
As many others have said baby's need a lot of feeding etc during the day. So you will only mainly get time in evening, I had planned on working up to 2 weeks before my baby was due, but I've had midwife appt this morning and been told as I have SPD I need to stop working now and I should get plenty of bed rest.
How I am ment to do that with a toddler I'll never know.
Once I have had my baby I will hopefully go back to work 2 evenings a week, this way I will still keep up to date with nails etc and it will be near Christmas so hopefully very busy too :)
Good luck and all the best with your pregnancy xx

Bed rest with a 19 month old!! You poor thing. My friend had to get a nanny...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I had my daughter Isla while i was doing nails from home. I only took 2 weeks off (I had a planned cs) after and I did a set the night before I went in!! Initially I enjoyed getting away from the screaming baby for an hour or so to do a set of nails.

At the time I was working from a spare bedroom, but I soon realised that in order to create a lovely relaxing atmosphere for my clients (and in order for me to be able to relax and concentrate!) - that I needed to move out of the house. My husband converted our garage for me and I work from there now.

For me it was important to keep my clients, which is why I went back so early - but please bear in mind, that my nails business is a part-time business, and I was only doing one set per evening once my husband was home.

I worked evenings and weekends until my baby was 6 months old and then took her to a childminder 2 days per week and dropped the weekend work but continued in the evenings. Occasionally I would take her to clients with me when doing pedicures (only when they asked me to, usually the elderly who love to see babies).

I don't think it will work having the baby at home and working at the same time. It's bad enough when I go to a client with a baby, the treatment can take twice as long due to the interruptions.

My children are now at full time school but I now have the school holiday dilemma every 6 weeks when they're off :Scared:.

Latest posts

Back