Accepting Credit/Debit cards?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivone

Reaction score
Hi there,

As some of you may have read recently I'm due to start my beauty business within a gym soon and I'm concious that people don't carry cash.

I personally carry cash or if I do its just enough for a trolley or car parking fees (usually small change stashed in the pocket of my car), so I am a bit concerned that my clients may not have cash on them to pay for treatments.

I have been looking into accepting credit/debit cards, but the machines you get from the banks are so much money initially (good if your a salon bringing the money in in the first place). Do banks still have the manual card machines (remember the ones you used to have a slip and run the track over the card and slip - I know I'm old enough to remember lol )...

... so I have been looking at the online Paypal virtual terminal where you accept credit/debit cards there and then.

All I will need to get is a 'dongle' (mobile broadband), a laptop (or preferably a newtbook) and then set up a business paypal account.

It would cost me approximately £280 up front for the netbook and between £10 - £15 per month for the mobile broadband subscription.

I thought if I had a netbook I could have my client database and diary stored on there too so it wouldn't be a complete waste of money.

Also, do you still accept cheques? I haven't written one for years and not sure of the process of accepting them anymore.

What do you all think and has anyone got any other suggestions?

Clair
xxx

I would definitely have a card machine. I would say 75% of my customers pay with a card. Streamline have good rates. I'm a member of the federation of small businesses so get a good deal. If you are a member it might be worth giving them a call. If not then streamline are worth looking at as their rates are really good. I will be changing to them as soon as my current contract is up. Rushed into getting the first card machine i was offered with a good rate but the one i went with has terrible customer service!

Thanks for the reply, I had looked at the Pronto machines but they are £27 per month for a 36 month contract or £85 per week.

This amount is just too much per week to pay and I didn't want a contract for 36 months in case the arrangement don't work.

That's why I thought the virtual Paypal terminal is the better option as they only charge a small % for every transaction done.

Its a difficult decision as on the one hand pretty much everyone expects a card facility to be available but as you are a new business you don't want to commit to a lengthy contract only to find the business doesn't work out.

I have my card machine with silverpay and they have an initial 3 month contract and a set up fee around £90 it is then approx £30 month rental plus 5% transaction fee. Its not cheap BUT I had to get one as so many people were requesting to pay by card and new clients weren't aware i didn't have one, plus retail sales shot up once the card facility was available.

I personally would rather just pay with a traditional card machine than do it via paypal, also you may find that some clients are a bit funny about the transaction being processed over the internet.

If you have a card machine you will find that your retail sales will increase a lot!
Join the FSB, get free banking with Co-op, a streamline terminal which is free for 3 months and then preferential interchange rates.
I think you have to bite the bullet with this one.

Thanks for the replies - your suggestions with a 3 month trial does sound better than straight into a 36 month contract.

I will look into both, what is the FSB? Sorry if I sound thick!

I started my business recently in a gym. Card machine is essential.

I am with Abbey business banking - terrible service - zero fees forever. I would not recommend them unless you are exceptionally patient.

FSB membership £150. Signed up with Streamline merchant account. Got a 6 month GPRS terminal with 123 send £25 a month all inclusive, deposit of £350. 123send does not charge for rental until end of the contract period, makes sense are they took a large deposit.

If you have a short lease with the gym you should look to get a short contract with a card machine as it makes no business sense to take on a long contract. This way you dont carry extra risk.

I actually did a calculation for taking 24/36months and factored in cancellation charges at 12 months and the deal I mentioned above is still better.

Latest posts

Back