Achieving good highlights

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachael66

Reaction score
Hi, my hair is naturally dark with I'd say 50/60% grey and has red undertones. I have been lightening my hair for as long as I can remember and am now tinting the routes every 5 or so weeks with schwarzkopf igora royal three quarters 12-1 and quarter 12-0 mixed with 9%. I am pretty happy with the results but every now and then I want a few highlights to give it a bit of variation and lift, however I haven't got the highlights process down yet, whenever I do them they go too yellow/orange, I am looking for a more white/pale/ash colour, I am mixing the powder with 9%,can you advise what I can do differently? Whether it be use a different percentage and/or powder or if I need to leave the foils on for a long time?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer x

Bit confused by your profile info. It says you arnt a hair professional, so just wondering how/why you are using professional products on yourself.
If you are a hair pro, please update your profile so we can advise you accordingly
xx

Hi, no I'm not a professional, however I was advised by an old friend to use those products, so I buy them from Sally's, sorry should I not be using those products if I am not a professional?

erm, not really! Hairdressing isnt as simple as smacking a colour on. We cant advise non professionals on how to use professional products either. I can only advise you to get yourself to a qualified stylist
xxx

My old friend taught me how to do it, over the years I have (in my opinion) managed to perfect the technique in a way that works for me, you can be assured I don't just smack it on and hope for the best!

Sorry but by posting in the consumer section and the fact that any slapdash Tom Dick or Harry can purchase products from Sally's I had presumed I would find some advice here or tips on highlighting! Would you be more comfortable giving advice if I purchased a highlighting kit from Boots? X

If my reply caused you to be offended (as I get this impression judging my your reply) then I am sorry.
The rules of this site state that we cannot give advise on professional products to non professionals.
Thems the rules Im afraid!

Sorry but by posting in the consumer section and the fact that any slapdash Tom Dick or Harry can purchase products from Sally's I had presumed I would find some advice here or tips on highlighting! Would you be more comfortable giving advice if I purchased a highlighting kit from Boots?

Good reply. I presumed the same as you. Anyone and everyone is entitled to do their own hair with professional products.

Good reply. I presumed the same as you. Anyone and everyone is entitled to do their own hair with professional products.

Are you serious??

Have you ever had to repair the damage caused by clients using over the counter hair colours, let alone pro products?

Do any home colour clients actually perform a skin test?

What happens when they re-apply tint to previously coloured hair etc?

The fact that the OP talks about her highlights being yellow/orange after using a high lift tint demonstrates that she doesn't actually know what she's doing and she's obviously been poorly advised in the past.

Sorry but by posting in the consumer section and the fact that any slapdash Tom Dick or Harry can purchase products from Sally's I had presumed I would find some advice here or tips on highlighting! Would you be more comfortable giving advice if I purchased a highlighting kit from Boots?

Entitled are you?? Really!

I can go and buy a scalpel and blades in an art shop, but I'm not going to attempt to take my own appendix out. Or by your reasoning because I can buy it, I should be able to do my own DIY surgical procedures?

Just because you can buy professional products, doesn't mean you have ANY idea how to use them.

I give up :rolleyes:

Best ask the chemist for advice about the highlighting kit.

Are you a hairdresser? If you are, why are you saying it's ok for anyone to use professional products? *I'm stunned*:grr:

Latest posts

Back