Acrylic brush problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca78

Reaction score
Hi guys, please bear with me as I'm new to all this.
I've been qualified for some time but only done my own nails as I always had problems with lifting. I've since started doing my nails again but seem to have a problem with my acrylic brush when picking up a bead. The brush hasn't got a nice smooth point when picking up or applying acrylic, so becomes really hard to apply & messy. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?? :(

You don't really want your brush to have a point on it, you almost want it "paddle like" at the end to pull through the powder, if that makes sense. Make sure your fully immersing your brush in the monomer first and getting any air bubbles out before starting & getting your brush shaped properly first. Make sure you wipe after each bead application & work on getting your ratio right, hope this helps x

You don't really want your brush to have a point on it, you almost want it "paddle like" at the end to pull through the powder, if that makes sense. Make sure your fully immersing your brush in the monomer first and getting any air bubbles out before starting & getting your brush shaped properly first. Make sure you wipe after each bead application & work on getting your ratio right, hope this helps x

Yeh I'm doing all this but the bristles of the brush seem to separate making the picking up the bead rally hard. I've tried uploading a pic of the brush but won't let me . Maybe I just need more practice it just so frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually when the brush is separating it's been damaged and it's time to get a new one.

Usually when the brush is separating it's been damaged and it's time to get a new one.

I did think this, only used it 3 times so I'm obviously doing something wrong. Thanks for your help though :)

Are you making sure it's thoroughly cleaned & reshaped after use? (Remember you need nothing more than the monomer to clean & reshape it!) x

Are you making sure it's thoroughly cleaned & reshaped after use? (Remember you need nothing more than the monomer to clean & reshape it!) x
Yeh I thought I have been, well once I've finished I've soaked the brush a few times and wiped it then dipped it in brush cleaner wiped and shaped, but guessing this is wrong?
They didn't show us this at college so it's just what I've picked up on YouTube. X

I went through several brushes after my training and if I'm honest can say I do still go through them just slower than I used to but I do back to back acrylic all day and the system I use is a dry ratio

I'm gonna have to get myself some more decent brushes.. I absolutely love acrylic nails but so hard to master, this is why I end up stopping cos it's so frustrating. What brushes do you recommend? Thanks for your advice too xx

Crystal nails are lovely brushes! X

Yeh I thought I have been, well once I've finished I've soaked the brush a few times and wiped it then dipped it in brush cleaner wiped and shaped, but guessing this is wrong?
They didn't show us this at college so it's just what I've picked up on YouTube. X
I feel that conditioning the brush in monomer keeps it more supple. Also a brush with a cap ensures it stays that way. And Although I rarely do acrylic nowadays, I agree with Fluffy -Crystal nails do amazing brushes

I did think this, only used it 3 times so I'm obviously doing something wrong. Thanks for your help though :)

An redwood kolinsy acrylic brush is ideal

I feel that conditioning the brush in monomer keeps it more supple. Also a brush with a cap ensures it stays that way. And Although I rarely do acrylic nowadays, I agree with Fluffy -Crystal nails do amazing brushes
Brill thanks!

Latest posts

Back