Acrylic issues!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beautify2

Reaction score
I have been qualified in acrylics since march and have done a fair few sets. So far 5 people have said their acrylics either 1 or more nails have "pinged off" on first few days! What could I be doing wrong? I do as follows

Cuticle prep
Shape natural nails
Buff natural nail to rough it up
Dehydrate nail
Apply tip
Apply tip blender
Blend tip
Dehydrate nail
Apply primer to natural nail
Apply l&p
Leave to dry
File acrylic down slightly to smooth
Dehydrate then apply polish
Thanks!

I'm only training myself and I'm sure someone else will be able to help more but do you use any type if cuticle away when your doing the cuticle work and then wash it off? Also I've nor really heard great things about the tip blender so maybe try just blending the tip with your file. Hope this helps a little x

What brand do you use? Make sure you use all the same brand as acrylic systems are designed to work best with products from the same range!
Make sure your prep is thorough and your cuticle work is precise, this can be the make or break with acrylics. I spend a lot of time on prep and cuticle work as it is so important.
Watch FingernailFixers "Cuticle Removal (the real cuticle)" on YouTube and also her prep videos, they will shed new light onto prep! It must be 100% thorough otherwise you will get lifting!
Tip blender is unnecessary. You are blending the tips with a file anyway so it is unnecessary so maybe cut that out as it could also be an issue!
When applying the tips, get it as close to the free edge as possible with giving enough coverage to get a good adhesion.
The more nail plate the acrylic clings to the stronger your enhancement will be.
Double dehydrate and double prime if you are worried about lifting, I do this with lift prone clients and clients that are rough on their enhancements.
Make sure your Mix Ratio is perfect! I'd say half of the time the problem is prep, and half of the time problem is mix ratio! You must have the correct mix ratio otherwise your acrylics don't stand a chance :)
Also make sure your acrylic brush is clean, a contaminated brush makes for bad acrylics.
Also change your monomer after every service!!
This is everything I can think of off the top of my head I think!
Sorry for the essay and I hope this helps!!! Xxxxxxx

Thank you so much will try all of this. I am using NSI at the moment of everything all came in kit together. Thank you!

Thank you so much will try all of this. I am using NSI at the moment of everything all came in kit together. Thank you!

Brill I use NSI Attraction acrylic system and swear by it, it's fantastic.
What is the tip blender you are using? The only one I know that NSI do is "Line Out" which is used for Infills only not for blending tips!! :)
Once again I have to say get your prep and cuticle care up to scratch as I had the same problems when I first trained and started up and the problem for me was prep, even though I done everything the NSI Educator told me there was still loads that they never told me that helped. Watch video after video on YouTube as everyone does prep differently.
I spend 15 minutes at least just on prep!
Really hope this helped you!!
Xxxx

Brill I use NSI Attraction acrylic system and swear by it, it's fantastic.
What is the tip blender you are using? The only one I know that NSI do is "Line Out" which is used for Infills only not for blending tips!! :)
Once again I have to say get your prep and cuticle care up to scratch as I had the same problems when I first trained and started up and the problem for me was prep, even though I done everything the NSI Educator told me there was still loads that they never told me that helped. Watch video after video on YouTube as everyone does prep differently.
I spend 15 minutes at least just on prep!
Really hope this helped you!!
Xxxx

I just wanted to further support Sian's advice, she's spot on.
I too use NSI Attraction and swear by their products, once you get your technique right you will get great results. Also not mixing and matching prep products but using the whole brands system is important.
Without actually seeing your technique it's a bit hard sometimes with advice but I found one of the major things too that helped with lifting when I was learning was definitely as Sian said, making sure your cuticle work and prep is spot on. I too spend a lot of time with my prep, I also double prime like Sian on all clients including myself.
I found the issues I was having on clients initially too was due to me needing to really practice, practice and practice my application technique and making sure you keep that ultra fine margin from the cuticle and sidewalls when applying the acrylic too. Also ensuring that my mix ratio was right was a bit factor...not too wet, not too dry.
I used to get a bit frustrated and disheartened too but as cliche as it sounds we've all been there and you will get there too!! Acrylics really aren't easy but soon enough it will all just click for you and you'll get great results on your clients. Stick at it though and whenever you feel disheartened or not sure, just put a post up and other techs are here to help as much as we can :)

All the best! :) *hugs*

I just wanted to further support Sian's advice, she's spot on.
I too use NSI Attraction and swear by their products, once you get your technique right you will get great results. Also not mixing and matching prep products but using the whole brands system is important.
Without actually seeing your technique it's a bit hard sometimes with advice but I found one of the major things too that helped with lifting when I was learning was definitely as Sian said, making sure your cuticle work and prep is spot on. I too spend a lot of time with my prep, I also double prime like Sian on all clients including myself.
I found the issues I was having on clients initially too was due to me needing to really practice, practice and practice my application technique and making sure you keep that ultra fine margin from the cuticle and sidewalls when applying the acrylic too. Also ensuring that my mix ratio was right was a bit factor...not too wet, not too dry.
I used to get a bit frustrated and disheartened too but as cliche as it sounds we've all been there and you will get there too!! Acrylics really aren't easy but soon enough it will all just click for you and you'll get great results on your clients. Stick at it though and whenever you feel disheartened or not sure, just put a post up and other techs are here to help as much as we can :)

All the best! :) *hugs*

Totally right Rhyanna!
Double priming really makes a difference, I tend to let the first layer dry, then as I'm applying the acrylic just before I prime each nail individually so as the primer is still wet when the acrylic goes on! I find that this almost double anchors te acrylic to the nail plate.
Again Rhyanna is right you need to make sure the acrylic is touching absolutely none of the skin, if it is you will have guaranteed lifting.
I found it really difficult at first not to touch the skin but practice practice practice and you'll get it.
Again mix ratio is so important with NSI systems, the bead should look like melted marshmallow! I it doesn't wipe it off and try again the client won't mind of this takes extra time, if they ask, just say you want to make sure every bead is perfect to ensure great strength, they will respect that!
In you have the money or save up and invest in the Essential Nail Trainer hand, it is fantastic and you can practice over and over again on it with the disposable nails :)
Xxxxx

Latest posts

Back