Acrylic nails just "popped off", help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RhubarbSarah

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
This is my first post on here, and I wish it was a more positive one. I'm desperate for help/advice.

I'm a newly qualified level 2 nail technician. I did acrylics on my course, and I worked my bum off to get my work up to a good standard. I did nails on all my classmates and my family and friends. Not to blow my own trumpet, but my tutor took me to one side half way through the course and said that I was the top student in the class and that she was thrilled with my work and couldn't wait for me to go on and do level 3, as I "would thrive".
Not once during all this time have anyone's nails ever come off, nor have they had any heavy duty lifting, only very minor.

Anyway... (get to the point!) I had my first client a week ago for a set of acrylics. She arrived and then told me she was in a rush because she had to go straight to work after her appointment, and proceeded to try and rush me throughout. I explained that I could only go as fast as I was doing and that I couldn't cut any corners.
I explained to her that her nails wouldn't be fully set for 24 hours, and to be careful.
She said that she hoped they wouldn't 'pop off' like the ones from a NSS. (how do you even 'pop off NSS nails?!?) ....
I found out during the treatment that she also works in a supermarket and spends a lot of time opening boxes etc.

She messaged me two days after and said that two nails had 'popped off', so I offered to visit her and repair them. She never replied. Until yesterday.

She messaged me saying that ALL her nails had 'popped off' during the week.

I smell something fishy.

I did all the correct prep, and I know for definite that I used primer, as I explained to her what all my products were for as I was doing her nails.

Where do I go from here? I am reluctant to offer a refund or a free set of nails as I already did them at half price due to me being new on the scene.

Any ideas would be great.
This has really knocked my confidence and got me worried that she is going to bad mouth me.

Nails don't 'pop' off (except in very rare circumstances when they have not been prepped properly)

I would not offer anything without first being able to 'see the nail for assessment'

If I saw any sign of damage to the nail plate then I would deem them 'ripped' off as the weakest part of the enhancement is actually the nail plate layers. Most likely the top layers have been tore off the nail plate...

If she is prepared to do this to her own nail plates then any bad press she spreads is more a reflection on her own lack of personal care than your professionalism.. If anyone else comments you simply need to stay confident in your own work and skill. What a client chooses to do afterwards is not up to you. you can't be there to hold their hand.

hope that helps, keep up the good work

Thankyou. I'm going to try and see her nails. I need to see them, even if it's just for peace of mind!

Fair enough, but some clients.... well... they just would never be happy. Odds are you'll likely not see them as she will know she has done the damage after she broke the first one or two and proceeded to rip the rest off...

If you do, dehydrate the plate with scrub fresh or isopropyl alcohol. Once dehydrated you will see the tears and damage much more easily

Thanks for the tip! I'm 99% sure this is her lying. I asked her several questions, such as
-Have you knocked your nails at all?
-What were you doing at the exact point they 'popped off'?
-Did they break where the tip was glued on, or did the whole nail come off in one go?

Her reply (a day later) was ... "I dunno n at work"

So she's broken them by force I presume and picked the rest off.

Ahhh. I asked her for a photo of her nails. All of a sudden she is saying its her own fault and that she broke them at work when she was breaking down boxes, and broke another one with a safety knife.
I think she was trying to get a freebie out of me or something.

Time to stop stressing, and I hope you have a better experience with your next clients!

They are sods, honestly, some people will just try for a freebie and only admit it was their fault when you stick up for yourself and give them an interrogation.

Glad you found out because it eats away at your self confidence doesn't it xx

At least she owned up in the end - well done for keeping on asking her questions!

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately some members of the public are just like that and will try and get a free set of nails. Don't let this knock your confidence. You know that you are doing the nails properly and if you give all the correct aftercare advice then thats all you can do.

Latest posts

Back