acrylic or gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle_Beauty_

Reaction score
Im just wondering which is more popular, if either. I'm not able to do acylic nails as i cant find a hypoallergenic range so i'm only able to train in gel nails and was wondering if many clients choose gel over acrylic?

Thanks a lot =)

Many of the general public do not realise there is more than one enhancement system.

As long as you explain they are very similar,and one is equally as good as the other if good products are used and a technician is skillfull.

Go for it and educate your clients x

I find l+p is asked for more often but i's because it's better known I think. I do l+p and gel.I had a lady ring up wanting fibreglass (which I don't do) but I offered her a good discount to let me do gels instead and she has been a loyal client ever since. Perhaps you could do something similar if it looks like a client is going to walk away if you say no you don't do acrylics? HTH

Most of the public has been wrongly educated by the NSS's scams. NSS commonly urge people to get uv gel because it's "bio" and 'bettah" for the nail. Then charge them 10$ more, and all they give them is a gel sealant over the L&P to keep it from yellowing and staying shiney.

L&P is more common. I dont know of a single tech in my neighborhood that does UV Gel... trust me. I looked.
Now that I've been doing uv gel for 2yrs... I see that I need to learn L&P as well, becuase of my interests in nail art. BUT ONLY because of my interests in nail art, and my wish to be well rounded in my nail enhancement education.

I chose uv gel because of the lack of odour and such as I work in my home.

Each system has it's own pros and cons.
Neither is better than the other.
Everyone has their own reasons for choosing one over the other.

Looking back, I wish I had invested in the L&P course FIRST as I personally think (personal opinion, not necessarily fact) that L&P is harder to learn, mainly because of that mix ratio that can cause all sorts of problems. I've tried playing at L&P. There's no way I can learn it on my own without wasting more than a tonne of product and giving myself a few headaches along the way.

hth's

I have just started using UV Gel but don't feel ready to offer it to clients yet as need more practice. My clients are very xcited about trying the UV Gel coz theyve only ever had L&P.

If you tell your clients that you are offering something new! I find they excited and want to try everyting.

A tip for VHunter- Use an odourless liquid for your L&P it's brilliant, especially for us home salon techs!

xxx

thanks for all your replies! =) i was just worried about only been able to offer one system but will take your advice!
thanks again

A tip for VHunter- Use an odourless liquid for your L&P it's brilliant, especially for us home salon techs!

xxx

I do know of this, but would have the concerns of the vapours since even though I can't smell them, they are still there. And the odour is your friend, letting you know if you are working properly.
I'm hyper sensitive, and get migraines at the drop of a hat.
I can't even clean my oven. Someone else has to do it for me (mom, hubby...) because the over cleaner - even the ones that aren't supposed to stink:rolleyes: - make me ill with a migraine.

So that was why I chose uv gel.
I still plan on learning L&P, and using it on occasion, but will likely keep uv gel as my main product.

Thanks anyhow
:hug:

I do know of this, but would have the concerns of the vapours since even though I can't smell them, they are still there. And the odour is your friend, letting you know if you are working properly.
I'm hyper sensitive, and get migraines at the drop of a hat.
I can't even clean my oven. Someone else has to do it for me (mom, hubby...) because the over cleaner - even the ones that aren't supposed to stink:rolleyes: - make me ill with a migraine.

:hug:

Also I feel it's important for Portnus to know that Odorless L&P can be more risky for those with an allergy, as it doesn't fully cure on the top layer.

UV Gel, L&P, AND EVEN RESIN based fiberglass/silk are all in the same family called ACRYLATE. The difference is in the molecule number and setup.

The way an allergy is developed is from repeated exposure to any of these when they are uncured. This is why it's so important to NEVER NEVER EVER touch uncured product!!! This includes touching your brush with your fingers, and cleaning up around the edges of the cuticles with one!

So just because someone has a sensitivity to L&P, does not mean they won't have a sensitivity to Gel- especially if you are still touching the skin with product.

ANd the smell- its just that babes- SMELL. It's merely to let you know that it's THERE, and that you probably shouldn't take a swig of it. :)

Kayle have you gone to an Allergist and been tested specifically for an allergy to Acrylic? If you have, not much can save you hon. Once an allergy, forever it is an allergy. There are treatments to de-sensitize those allergens to your body, but they are time consuming and SPENDY- I speak from experience ;)

We wary of any company claiming to be "safer," "organic," "bio-friendly" or just plain better.

Hypo-allergenic just means "LESS LIKELY" to cause allergy, not that it won't at all. Tactics like those are merely meant to scare you into buying their product.

If you learn how to use products SAFELY, and PROPERLY, this whole problem is usually not a problem at all...

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back