Acrylic - pat or paul!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellyc

Reaction score
Sorry had to do that very sad gag as the title lol!

Just needed some advice this may have been asked previously and is so i apologise. I did a set of acrylic last night which were a little bit of a disaster, i just wondered what your technique is pat or pull, i was taught to pat the product however at the show on Sunday i was watching a demo and they pulled the acrylic using one bead with an extremely large brush, this was at the Hollywood Nails stall (i think that was what it was called) anyway just wondered if the pulling technique can be used? Also i used the NSI Spa Aroma Free acrylic and must say had some difficulties with it has anyone else used this? it may have been my application but i found that once it had set it still had a kind of spongy texture on the top and so i buffed the top and some of the acrylic came away i can only think that i was applying it too wetly? any suggestions thanks all x x

Kelly hun,
Dont consider what you saw on the Hollywood Nails stand as the norm.
Im not saying that it cant be done like that but, its not the norm with most respected companies ... neither is using drills on natural nails. :twisted:

Hi Glo, thanks i didnt like the way they were doing anything! but i just wondered whether you can pull the acrylic rather than pat and if there is a difference x

Kellyc said:

Just needed some advice this may have been asked previously and is so i apologise. I did a set of acrylic last night which were a little bit of a disaster, i just wondered what your technique is pat or pull, i was taught to pat the product however at the show on Sunday i was watching a demo and they pulled the acrylic using one bead with an extremely large brush, this was at the Hollywood Nails stall (i think that was what it was called) anyway just wondered if the pulling technique can be used? Also i used the NSI Spa Aroma Free acrylic and must say had some difficulties with it has anyone else used this? it may have been my application but i found that once it had set it still had a kind of spongy texture on the top and so i buffed the top and some of the acrylic came away i can only think that i was applying it too wetly? any suggestions thanks all x x

Kelly I tried the NSI Spa L&P once and then threw it in the bin, in my opinion it was about as useful as spreading jam on nails! J xx

Kellyc said:

It is far more effective to press you product into place and then smooth lightly over the top to create a perfect surface.

As for doing nails in one bead -- rubbish short cut methods that do not produce pretty nails but unattractive one colour falsies -- this is not enhancement. This is greedy 'get em in and get em out quickly' tactics. Not pampering 'feel good' service.

As to your product feeling spongy ... this is normal with any odour free Liquid and powder system. The top layer is not fully reacted which is why so many nail technicians and clients become allergic to this type of product because the unreacted dust comes into contact repeatedly with the skin. It is known as the roll off layer. If you are using it, wash frequently.

geeg said:
It is far more effective to press you product into place and then smooth lightly over the top to create a perfect surface.

As for doing nails in one bead -- rubbish short cut methods that do not produce pretty nails but unattractive one colour falsies -- this is not enhancement. This is greedy 'get em in and get em out quickly' tactics. Not pampering 'feel good' service.

As to your product feeling spongy ... this is normal with any odour free Liquid and powder system. The top layer is not fully reacted which is why so many nail technicians and clients become allergic to this type of product because the unreacted dust comes into contact repeatedly with the skin. It is known as the roll off layer. If you are using it, wash frequently.
Thanks Geeg, I did think the procedure of patting how i was taught was correct but when you see others work it does make you wonder, unfortunately their whole technique was awful, even when he used the electric file he made her bleed and there was no sign of sterilizing.

And thank you for clearing up the 'spongy' prob i think i will be changing that product x

Latest posts

Back