Acrylic v Gel & After Care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephy_Devil

Reaction score
Ive had a good search for about an hour but couldnt find what I was after. Apologies though if this is a repeat.

Ive been doing my own mobile business in Acrylics for 6 months now after becoming qualified and had some questions through my experience.

1 - I provide an indpeth leaflet on aftercare to ensure every Client is given the best advise on maintaining their nails and their new extensions, keep cuticles supple, moisturise, wear gloves, avoid this that and the other etc BUT I still get Client's having a moan about their natural nails being weak. Now I know covering the natural nail is going to have an impact on its strength, condition etc but if you take care you can avoid the nasty splitting, breaking etc when you come to remove them. My question is what IS the best advice to keep your natural nails in good condition?

2 - Ive had 2 or 3 Client's complain after a few days that naild have just 'come off'. Once Client said she was doing paperwork at work and the whole think popped off. Just the one. The rest were fine. Obviously as this was relatively new I replaced the nails free of charge and on her merry way she went. I prep like a mad thing, making sure the nails is clean, oil free and lightly buffed to remove shine before even starting!
Can nails just 'come off' ??

3 - I trained with Essential Nails and I use their products but I'm sure there are better ones out there. That's not to say thier products are bad beause they've been fine but maybe my product isn't the best. What recommendations can you make?

4 - I'm going to shortly do a course in Gel Nails. Ive been asked a few times about them and thought I should invest. Theres mixed feeling about these over Acrylics. What are your thoughts about Gels and are they any good?

5 - Should I go with Gels that are cured or not?

Sorry if that's a mamouth bowt of questions, just thought I'd get it all out at once :)

Any advice, help or recommendations you can make would be greatly appreciated.

Haooy New Year everyone xxx

Is there no one that can offer some advice? :sad:

Hi!
I've never used essential nail products but usually when nails "pop" off it's due to either the client or your prep. Just to be sure it's not you, read geeg's awesome prep tutorial. Also watch fingernail fixer's cuticle video because that's crucial in prep as well. Make sure you're using all the things you're supposed to be using for prep. Sometimes, techs forget to use their system's bonder or primer and that causes lifting or nails popping off. You just have to make sure you're 100% sure your prep and application is not the issue. Also, examine the client's fingernail to make sure it wasn't pulled off. Nails where enhancments just pop off have a smooth surface, whereas nails that were yanked off have a chalky, flakey texture. I also have this habit of double dehydrating clients with sweaty hands as I was told in school, they most likey have hyperactive sweat glands and are proned to lifting. (I'm not sure if that's true, but I do it anyway not to risk it.)

As far as aftercare goes, nails that have just had enhancements removed always feel slightly weaker. It depends on the prep. If too much nail is being taken off during the prep via shine removal, the nails are thinner. That's why NSS clients tend to have thin, brittle nails after enhancements (techs there usually use an electric file to remove shine... along with a few layers of nail). The best advice for aftercare after enhancements and enhancement removal is to use cuticle oil, and not use the nails like tools or being too heavy handed.

As for gels, I'm not sure which gels you are referring to. There's buff off which you use for a seperate enhancment service altogether, and soak off which can be used as overlays on the natural nails for long lasting color and added strength or on top of acrylic or gel enhancments. Some people prefer gel enhancments because there's no odor and they feel more lightweight than acrylic to some people. It's all a matter of preference. You just have to decide whether you'd be willing to provide that extra option to your clients and if you'd get more clients by offerring that extra option. I've never heard of non-cured gels. Every gel system I've used has to be cured in a 36w lamp.

If you're not liking your products, you can try reading up on reviews on other products. I personally use young nail's and ibd for both my acrylic and gel enhancement systems. But I've heard good things about CND and NSI's system as well. Also, I wanted to add you haven't been qualified for very long. It takes a lot of sets til you get it right so please don't panic or be discouraged. You just have to learn how to anaylze what the problem may be, and try your best to fix and avoid them next time. I hope I've answered some of your questions. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back