Adding to kit-suggestions please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byKaty

Reaction score
hi Geeks

ive been lurkingin the background on here since before halloween reading and reading for info. fab site! glad i found it!

bit of history - im currently in college in evenings doing my vrq2 hairdressing. i started out about 10 years ago in salons and was trained in-house and worked as a stylist but never went to college as the ones near me were/are ****! in 2008 i left the salon and hairdressing after losing my confidence.(**** going on at salon were a contributing factor) ive kept my hand in doing friends/family as homers since but decided back in august to do my level 2 and pick it up again. my plan is either work freelance or rent a chair. i currently work as a civil servant on 3 days as have a 16mth old son and i will be hanging on to this job for a while yet.
ive just booked myself onto some courses through salon services for next month and have my eye on 3 more in march/april, for updating skills/knowledge.
i have my kit bag for college, which im starting to add to, already had some bits like my scissors/combs/dryer/straighteners/brushes etc, some of which have been replaced. im thinking of adding bits and bobs each month, when i get paid, eg, heated rollers, tongs etc.
aside from those above, do any of you guys n gals have any firm favourites you wouldnt be without?

tia, and apologies for rambling if you made it this far! xx

Seems you have the basics.
I added a small kit inside my kit of bobby pins, hair pins different colors of course, rubber bands (black and clear) and clips. (I used a fishermans bait box from walmart, perfecto). You never know when a client wants their hair done up after a fresh color!

hair clips...can never have too many hair clips!

Color utensils i.e. bowls, brushes, gloves gloves gloves, obviously capes, towels. Caps for color processing. FOIL!!!

Hair products themselves, flex and strong hairsprays, oil, leave ins, pucks, thermals, texturizers, smoothers (you get the idea).

Color swatch book. (they have mini ones now, very helpful with space).

Clipper oil and cleaner.

I think that's all i have for off the top of my head! Hope it was helpful.

Wand and velcros

I think since 2008 the industry has changed a lot
Not that many people are having styles where tongs are called for even older people
We tend to stick with the wand and styling irons, in fact we have one lady in the salon who we use tongs on so I wouldn't class them as an essential to start with

thanks for the replies peeps!

yes things have certainly changed alot since then! at the mo i only tong my mother in laws hair and she has her own tongs anyway. i was thinking of getting a wand or a couple to try out as a change to curls using the irons.
starting to build up a bag of styling products, so far mostly osis and tigi.

i have a wahl clipper and mini clipper and oil, i have tinting bowls/brushes etc and foil. will be starting to stock up on cols now every vat free day. undecided betw wella as thats what i know and im training with in college, or using something like rusk to start with as cheaper? thoughts anyone?

i have grips/clips for upstyles, but hadnt thought of bands so thats on the list now. good tip on the bait box btw! i shall be looking for something like that myself, hate it all shoved into 1 big bag that you end up hoking in like something out of mary poppins!

Latest posts

Back