Additives in real salon life, how much to charge and book?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna from Toronto

Reaction score
I know I'm late in the game but I'm thinking about investing in additives.
I'm wondering how this works in real life? Is the service profitable?

I have a very conservative clientele for the most part. Most popular colors right now are: Masquarade, Dark Lava, Hollywood, Cocoa + Beau, Romantique + Beau. About 25% of clients do wear Black, Asphalt, Onyx, Purple Purple.

I have few clients that love sparkle and fun things like a matte finish etc.

I wouldn't mind getting some of the younger crowd (that seems to have more disposable income) so I'm thinking additives would help.

Additives are about $150 worth of investment. How much more time does it take to apply them? (I'm talking a simple fade or color wash).
Let's say we book 45 minutes for Shellac Mani, if the client decides they want additives we are running late for the next client.
Even if it's 5 min per client, after 6 clients- we are running 30 min late and clients would have a fit.

If we book extra 10 minutes for each appointment (just in case) then I'm losing money on the clients that go with regular Shellac
How do you go about it?
(For that reason I admit, we rarely do layering where 3 coats of color are involved). Black or Fedora or most of the heavily pigmented colors have to be applied thinly so they dont wrinkle. If I just use 1 coat of dark and 1 coat of sheer then the finished result is patchy. That extra coat adds 5 minutes to my service. What are your thoughts?

Now, how do you price it? My Shellac Manis are $35 (+tax). Would extra $5 make sense?
Do you charge extra for layering (when applying 3 coats of color?)

hiya, additives are great as you can do so much with them and tailor to each client. I am only using it at the moment as a fade/create different colour over shellac or snakeskin effect and yes i am charging. it depends what you do with it how long it takes so i charge accordingly. if im only doing a fade or for colour that takes me about extra 5/10 mins but if im doing snakeskin effect/lace effect that takes about 10 mins. if you could get an extra 5 or so dollars off each client it makes a difference, plus the more you do the quicker you get. i add extra time for new clients anyway as you never know what you have to do until they sit down, half of mine only ever have plain colour so i dont add extra and the other half always have some sort of glitter/additives/nail art so i add extra for them xx hth

Thank you for your reply!
We book back to back so every 5-10 minutes adds up and like I said I don't wanna add 10 minute to each service "just in case"

I find that like with any business productivity matters. If I run late 10 min with each client, thats an hour after only 6 people.
If I book that time just in case I waste 1 hr every day. That's 20-25 hours in a month. It adds up. That's HUGE actually.

I guess if maybe every other person wants it, then I should still book a regular time slot and I won't be running that much behind.

Do you charge extra for layering when you use 3 coats of color?

hiya, additives are great as you can do so much with them and tailor to each client. I am only using it at the moment as a fade/create different colour over shellac or snakeskin effect and yes i am charging. it depends what you do with it how long it takes so i charge accordingly. if im only doing a fade or for colour that takes me about extra 5/10 mins but if im doing snakeskin effect/lace effect that takes about 10 mins. if you could get an extra 5 or so dollars off each client it makes a difference, plus the more you do the quicker you get. i add extra time for new clients anyway as you never know what you have to do until they sit down, half of mine only ever have plain colour so i dont add extra and the other half always have some sort of glitter/additives/nail art so i add extra for them xx hth

Maybe one way would be to chat to your regular clients at one appointment about the possibilities of additives/layering and then if they are interested you could book them for a longer appointment the next time they come. New clients could be asked if they want a simple block colour or more nail art/special effects when they book and advised of extra time/cost accordingly.

There's still the risk they'll change their minds but hopefully it would help to cut down on delays.

Hath.

Maybe one way would be to chat to your regular clients at one appointment about the possibilities of additives/layering and then if they are interested you could book them for a longer appointment the next time they come. New clients could be asked if they want a simple block colour or more nail art/special effects when they book and advised of extra time/cost accordingly.

There's still the risk they'll change their minds but hopefully it would help to cut down on delays.

Hath.

Good point, thank you!!

OMG!!!! So I got the additives yesterday. BTW, I blew $400 yesterday on Shellac (just replenishing the stock) and the additives :eek:
But.....:Love:!!!!
I love them!!
I got the twinkle collection and the glitters are sooo pretty!
I'm getting my nails done hopefully tomorrow with the additives. I can't wait!!

I will do a search but can anyone direct me to a a list of good combos?
I'm looking for conservative combos for my clients

I did Asphalt with a fade of grey glitter from twinkle collection and then I applied some titanium silver and blended it upwards. Gorgeousness!!!!
I just wish the pictures would capture that glimmer, glitter and bling!

I just love how the additives don't add thickness to the nail!

OK, the additives are the best thing since sliced bread... I mean Shellac :Love:
Why or why did I wait so long?? :grr:

OK, the additives are the best thing since sliced bread... I mean Shellac :Love:
Why or why did I wait so long?? :grr:

Can I just ask how they differ from glitters, the new sparkly ones that is?

Thankyou :)

OMG!!!! So I got the additives yesterday. BTW, I blew $400 yesterday on Shellac (just replenishing the stock) and the additives :eek:
But.....:Love:!!!!
I love them!!
I got the twinkle collection and the glitters are sooo pretty!
I'm getting my nails done hopefully tomorrow with the additives. I can't wait!!

I will do a search but can anyone direct me to a a list of good combos?
I'm looking for conservative combos for my clients

I did Asphalt with a fade of grey glitter from twinkle collection and then I applied some titanium silver and blended it upwards. Gorgeousness!!!!
I just wish the pictures would capture that glimmer, glitter and bling!

I just love how the additives don't add thickness to the nail!

Try pink gold sparkle over Cocoa. Makes a lovely salmon type color. A slightly blingly nude. HTH

Can I just ask how they differ from glitters, the new sparkly ones that is?

Thankyou :)

Please, I would love to know too x

Latest posts

Back