Advanced Teeth Whitening

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dentists themselves can only use 6% now. Some were found to b using 36%. Ouch!

After reading all the comments on this thread I have decided to share what happened with me a few weeks ago. Please bear with me, I know it's rather a lengthy reply.

I was offered a job in a salon not far from me and at first it seemed like a really nice place offering a wide range of treatments, well my opinion changed as soon as I started my first day with them.
Basically one of the treatments they wanted to train me in was teeth whitening and after only two days on the job observing and practising on only three people they had managed to book in a full day of teeth whitening clients for me. My alarm bells went off as soon as I was told that their non peroxide gel doesn't really do the job on its own and I would have to use the 36% hydrogen peroxide gel as well. The owner told me that obviously for legal reasons I was not allowed to tell the clients that I would be using hydrogen peroxide as well (so he definitely knew what he was doing was illegal). On top of this their hygiene was very poor. The aspirator tips (which, in dental surgeries are disposable and a new one is used for each patient) were simply put in a bowl of Milton solution as well as the mouth retractors used. They obviously don't care that they are risking peoples lives doing this. On one of the clients I had to practice on I managed to stab them in the gum whilst trying to remove the gum barrier so the blood went on the tweezer instrument, now if that client had any nasty diseases the Milton solution isn't really the best thing to use to try and clean it 100% and theoretically any disease could be transferred to another client. On another client I was practising on I managed to drop a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide on her lip and it turned white immediately, it was burnt. This stuff they were using was dangerous and way above the legal limit even for a dentist.
This guy wanted me to carry out a treatment knowing that any time I used the hydrogen peroxide gel I would be breaking the law only so he can make a profit out of this. He obviously thought I was naive and wouldn't have a conscience, well he was wrong, I never went back after the second day when the incident with the blood happened. No way was I going to risk my career and my professional reputation for anyone. I am now contemplating whether I should report him to trading standards.

So after all of that, I would suggest to anyone thinking of offering this treatment to steer away from it. This guy charges £99 and he obviously thinks by cutting corners and risking his clients lives he will be making a profit, there is a reason dentists charge more, they spent years learning everything there is to know about teeth and their health.

Sorry for such a lengthy reply :)

After reading all the comments on this thread I have decided to share what happened with me a few weeks ago. Please bear with me, I know it's rather a lengthy reply.

I was offered a job in a salon not far from me and at first it seemed like a really nice place offering a wide range of treatments, well my opinion changed as soon as I started my first day with them.
Basically one of the treatments they wanted to train me in was teeth whitening and after only two days on the job observing and practising on only three people they had managed to book in a full day of teeth whitening clients for me. My alarm bells went off as soon as I was told that their non peroxide gel doesn't really do the job on its own and I would have to use the 36% hydrogen peroxide gel as well. The owner told me that obviously for legal reasons I was not allowed to tell the clients that I would be using hydrogen peroxide as well (so he definitely knew what he was doing was illegal). On top of this their hygiene was very poor. The aspirator tips (which, in dental surgeries are disposable and a new one is used for each patient) were simply put in a bowl of Milton solution as well as the mouth retractors used. They obviously don't care that they are risking peoples lives doing this. On one of the clients I had to practice on I managed to stab them in the gum whilst trying to remove the gum barrier so the blood went on the tweezer instrument, now if that client had any nasty diseases the Milton solution isn't really the best thing to use to try and clean it 100% and theoretically any disease could be transferred to another client. On another client I was practising on I managed to drop a tiny amount of hydrogen peroxide on her lip and it turned white immediately, it was burnt. This stuff they were using was dangerous and way above the legal limit even for a dentist.
This guy wanted me to carry out a treatment knowing that any time I used the hydrogen peroxide gel I would be breaking the law only so he can make a profit out of this. He obviously thought I was naive and wouldn't have a conscience, well he was wrong, I never went back after the second day when the incident with the blood happened. No way was I going to risk my career and my professional reputation for anyone. I am now contemplating whether I should report him to trading standards.

So after all of that, I would suggest to anyone thinking of offering this treatment to steer away from it. This guy charges £99 and he obviously thinks by cutting corners and risking his clients lives he will be making a profit, there is a reason dentists charge more, they spent years learning everything there is to know about teeth and their health.

Sorry for such a lengthy reply :)

Hi Superdidi, thank you for sharing that horror story with us. Exactly what is happening all over the country. I have always questioned what actually is in the chemical supplied. As a tech you cant get the old chemistry set out to check what the ingredientsare that your company sells to you for treatments.

If I were you I would report them as soon as possible. He might have cleaned up his act though in case you do report him. People have to be stopped from doing this sort of thing for a quick buck. Good on you for not going back though. It must have been dificult to give up the opportunity to work in a busy salon but I have a suspicion he wanted an outsider to do these treatments so if anything goes wrong he doesn't lose his long term employees. I would be so mad. I am sure something a lot better is just round the corner for you:Love:

Latest posts

Back