Advertising - newspaper/magazine

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amorgs

Reaction score
Hey geeks, we are going to start advertising in our local newspaper because we have just taken on anew treatment system. Can anyone advise what they pay for advertising in their paper? I have no idea what to expect! Thanks x

We never found newspaper advertising to work especially well to be honest, but realise its horses for courses.

However rather than paying for an ad- how about approaching them about a competition? I have a friend who is a jounalist on a local paper and they're always looking for prizes. Perhaps offer your new treatment as a prize in exchange for a paragraph of editorial?

p.s. Im on Salon Geek to avoid the cloud on my hols...brilliant.

I would advise against it. I've placed 2 adverts and found it a complete waste of time.

Who reads the local paper these days? And of those people who'll be looking for your service right now?

I now advertise with google and have Adwords set up with them. I just don't think you can beat it. That person is already in buying mode looking for your service.

Pound for pound you'll get a much better return.

Why don't you ask your clients if they read the local paper? Gauge how much of your target audience read the paper.

If you do decide to run an Adwords campaign, use the google keyword tool to see how many people a month are looking for your services, and also to see what keywords you should use.

I would mirror the other replies - when I first took over my business I placed a couple of ads in a health and beauty supplement of the main local newspaper offering 25% off if they brought the ad along. I spent about £400 on this if I remember rightly and got ONE new client - who came for her 25% off treatment and then never came back! I would never do it again.

If you do feel it's right for you then do haggle over the price as they will always try and sell it at the highest price but will come down massively if you look like you may walk away - particularly if they need to sell the space they can end up doing it at a quarter of the price first quoted.

Thanks for your replies! Have now signed up to google ads x

Lash n load if you don't mind me asking what do you set your daily budget to on Adwords I'm so confused with all the numbers for CTR CPC 😐

Latest posts

Back