Advice for complete beginners - please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NatSunders

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently 21 and working as a receptionist and looking for something new and exciting to spice up my life a bit.

I am being drawn towards nail technician work and it is an absolute mind field! :roll eyes:

It started off when I saw a SenstioNail kit in boots on offer.
I very nearly went for it as it does have great reviews on the website, however after reading all the professional stuff on here, I decided it probably isn't the best bet.

I did look at doing a complete nail technician course which was mainly online and then you go in for 4 days and the cost was £395. But again, after researching on here I see everyone trying to veer people away from home courses and pay for CND.
Is a starter kit included in the course price? Or is it just provided whilst you are there?

What about Gelish? Do people tend to stick to one brand and swear by it?

I'm guessing I would need a mani/pedi qualification to go on these courses?

Literally SO many questions, so if you have any other helpful advice/information it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Nat

Hi all,

I am currently 21 and working as a receptionist and looking for something new and exciting to spice up my life a bit.

I am being drawn towards nail technician work and it is an absolute mind field! :roll eyes:

It started off when I saw a SenstioNail kit in boots on offer.
I very nearly went for it as it does have great reviews on the website, however after reading all the professional stuff on here, I decided it probably isn't the best bet.

I did look at doing a complete nail technician course which was mainly online and then you go in for 4 days and the cost was £395. But again, after researching on here I see everyone trying to veer people away from home courses and pay for CND.
Is a starter kit included in the course price? Or is it just provided whilst you are there?

What about Gelish? Do people tend to stick to one brand and swear by it?

I'm guessing I would need a mani/pedi qualification to go on these courses?

Literally SO many questions, so if you have any other helpful advice/information it would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Nat
Hi Nat, and welcome to Salon Geek - you will find lots of very useful information on this site.

I would say research long and hard before you spend your money on a particular course. I myself did the CND Complete course, which was fantastic. All the products were included in the price (and they were yours to take home not to just use on the course). With CND courses it isn't just about doing the course then being left to fend for yourself either - you get continued support from your Educator - CND want you to succeed in your business, not just do the course.

Have a look at Sweet Squared - the Education bit - it tells you all about the courses, what is included, the cost and what products are included on each particular course. www.sweetsquared.com

One other bit of advice, you really do get what you pay for - it is worth saving for that bit longer to do a course that is going to set you up properly in the career you choose to take x

Hi there,
Cnd are fantastic and you do get kit with the complete courses. First you should think about what you want to offer, ie, just shellac, acrylic or gel extensions etc. you need to register with sweet squared.com as they are the cnd distributor in the uk. Probably best give them a call and discuss your options re courses with them. Everyone there is really lovely and very knowledgable they will be able to give you the best advise. 😃

Wow, thank you both for such quick response!

CND does seem like a good path to go down...just the shock of the total price when you first see it...I appreciate that it's worth while in the long run though!

Will definitely keep researching :)

I did it the "cheaper way" by doing a manicure and pedicure course then doing a number of short courses with cnd. I have probably spent more in the long run by doing it this way, I wish I had just gone for the complete course now but you live and learn!!

Iv paid twice to become a qualified nail tech as iv tried cheap then realised it's neither use nor ornament.

If you want to offer gel polish look for training with harmony gelish, cnd shellac, jessica geleration to start

Then if you want to offer nail extensions you may want to think if you want to offer gel or liquid and powder (acrylic) look for training with NSI, CND, Crystal Nails, Young Nails

Then if you want to offer all aspects of nails, pedicure, gel, acrylic, gel polish look at the cnd complete course.

It is important also that you find somewhere not too far away from yourself as you will need to go back over a period of days dependant on what you train in. It's worth every penny! You may be tempted by courses at places like salon services (Sally's) that offer 1/2 day courses for cheap as chips and although I'm not saying there is anything wrong with them you will find a lot of people have done them then gone on to train again (costing more time and money) don't be tempted to start buying cheap bits off eBay, although something's are great off there I found that when I came a knowledgable nail tech I had mountains of stuff that were a waste of money and rubbish.

You will find love and hate on here for different brands but have a look at courses, prices, pictures of work, videos on YouTube and think what brands you like the look of. Either way we are all here to help, we all started somewhere :) xx

Hi Hun, welcome to the site :)
I was like you, I decided to have a change of career and really enjoyed doing my nails at home, so decided to make a career out of it. I was completely unsure of what course to take and ended up doing a non-descript three-day salon services course. First day covered manicure and pedicure and the next 2 days covered learning my chosen system which was gel enhancements. Finished the course and went out and started taking on clients and I must admit it was a complete nightmare!! I had no brand specific training and a lot of things were missed off the course such as different brands, styles, types of gel, troubleshooting... The list goes on! I ended up offering enhancements that didn't last with product that didn't work properly but luckily, due to most of the clients being friends and family at the time, they have remained loyal to me through this!!
At my wits end, I saw a friend who had trained with Gelish and I contacted the local educator for my area. She was absolutely fantastic and offered me so much advice before I gave her a penny. I have completed their soak off gel course and it was so informative. I really feel like I know that brand inside out and am now confident offering it to my clients. I love the brand so much that I'm going back to get my PhD in Nail Art and retrain in Gelish Hard Gel. There isn't just Gelish, I have seen loads of amazing things about shellac and many other brands. You have to find what works for you, there are pros and cons with every single brand out there and you just need to see what you feel comfortable working with and what speaks your language. I think it really needs for you to sit down and look into it but I would definitely recommend to train with a particular brand and learning their systems, instead of cheap and easy courses! I learnt the hard way but luckily, through sheer perseverance, I managed to get a refund on the course from salon services and it's safe to say, I would never make the same mistake again! Since being with Gelish I've never looked back!!
HTH xx

Hi there.
I just completed a 12 week nail tech programme at my local college. I really loved it and iv definitely got the bug. But I still feel like there is so much more I need and want to learn.
Sculptures, nail art, getting my gelish to last 14 days, prepping the nail correctly, hard gels..what even are these etc!!?LOL

I have bought the gellux range, and find it easy to work with, and cures well under the lamp etc. However, im swaying towards doing a CND course and using Shellac, as they are just so reputable and seem like they offer loads of support.
Really research your chosen product and course, maybe even go to a salon and try that brand, see how long it lasts on you etc. I wish I had done this.

I don't feel very confident at the moment...need more practice with my acrylic overlays and prepping the nail before the gellux goes on.

I have spent a fortune, and hoping to do it all mobile. Just wish I would of hung back instead of rushing in andf buying all mixe brands, as they don't work great together well!

Sam

Aw you are all so kind with your information - thank you!

Would anyone recommend anything I could practice with at home to start with? I don't want to jump straight onto an expensive course and then decide that it probably isn't for me.

Thats why I was tempted with this SensatioNail just to do on my family and myself to see how much I really enjoy it.

Thanks x

Aw you are all so kind with your information - thank you!

Would anyone recommend anything I could practice with at home to start with? I don't want to jump straight onto an expensive course and then decide that it probably isn't for me.

Thats why I was tempted with this SensatioNail just to do on my family and myself to see how much I really enjoy it.

Thanks x

Don't be tempted to buy anything prior to doing a course as it will be a waste of money. It's like your dad teaching you to drive then going on a real lesson. One of them is the right way and the other the wrong. Keep using what you have then only buy products once your trained as they will only be a waste of money, money that could of been spent on quality products xx

One route would be to do a manicure course and then a Gelish/shellac/etc course. You need mani qualification before you do most branded gel polish courses. This would be a relatively inexpensive way to get started and may enable you to save up for more education at a later date if you want to progress further.

Latest posts

Back