Advice for newly qualified people looking for work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
Heya people :)

I was just reading over some of my old blogs and it reminded me of how hard it was to find work in industry after finishing college so I just wanted to share some tips with you all :)

*Work experience is valuable. It may not result in a paid job but it is something to put on your CV that will support any future job applications. Even if you're just answering the phone in a salon, it's still something.

*Don't be afraid to move to a totally different part of the country. This is something that helped me because different areas have different opportunities; some areas are saturated with salons that come and go at a rapid rate and other areas have a good range of spas.

*Spas. That's my next point. Look for work in spas rather than salons. They are less reluctant to take newly qualified therapists because even you make a mistake it doesn't cost them personally (whereas in a salon, if you make a mistake, it can hit your employers pocket directly whereas spas are so massive that they are generally less anxious about a newly qualified making a mistake for e.g massage pressure too light). Also, spas are stupidly hard work so a more experienced therapist might not be mad enough to do it anyway lol! I wanted to work in a salon after college but it was the spa route that opened doors for me and others that I know :)

*Be honest about what treatments you can do. A lot of bigger places such as spas don't pressure you to do everything because they can ask someone else. Just be sure you can do a good massage

*Generally, the bigger the company you work for, the better chance you have of being paid properly because they have a human resources department. Don't ever feel that you have to accept a job where they pay you cash in hand out of the till. It's illegal and you really don't want to work for someone who treats you this way. It's the same with interviews. Don't be afraid to walk out if something doesn't feel right because there are some jokers out there who will call it an interview but have you working for free. Don't put up with it.

*Keep learning. Ideally, look for an employer that isn't reluctant to put you on product training courses. Or, if your first employer is a bit tight when it comes to product training, if it means a lot to you, don't be afraid to self fund some courses. I did this in my first job and I'm feeling that it helped me to improve for when it came to finding my second job in industry.

*Apply to somewhere even if there are no vacancies. The good places keep CVs on file. Always include a covering letter.

*Don't let anyone tell you that you're not good at what you do. The last salon owner to tell me this wasn't a beauty therapist herself so there you go lol!

That's about it for now off the top of my head. I could say more but it's probably a bit opinionated and specific to the places I've worked so far. Hope this helps guys and best of luck :)

Great advice. The only thing I would add....as an employer I'm going to check staff out. Because I'm over the age of 23 doesn't mean I don't understand Facebook. Please, please, please look at how you're portrayed on FB. If I can see it, so can potential clients etc. Some girls I've interviewed have slagged off their last employer on FB. I find it amazing that so many people are naive to the fact that so often you're not sharing with your friends, but the world!!!

I'm a salon owner have been working myself for 8 years! Finally biting the bullet and looking for a part time member of staff! I have 2 girls in tomorrow for interview....bit nervous if im honest as I've never done it. There interview is mostly doing treatments as I feel this is what i need to see?! (The treatments I'm giving are free!) also as a small salon owner I'm in a pickle about wages...most girls applying are young just finished college and no experience I feel if I pay the full pay I will be majorly out of pocket at first as its hard to get alot of clients to a beginner therapist and I want them to learn..does anyone know of any options ie apprentice wage etc???

This is great advice! Thank you, I have just finished level 2 at college & I'm going to a salon next week to start work experience.

I'm a salon owner have been working myself for 8 years! Finally biting the bullet and looking for a part time member of staff! I have 2 girls in tomorrow for interview....bit nervous if im honest as I've never done it. There interview is mostly doing treatments as I feel this is what i need to see?! (The treatments I'm giving are free!) also as a small salon owner I'm in a pickle about wages...most girls applying are young just finished college and no experience I feel if I pay the full pay I will be majorly out of pocket at first as its hard to get alot of clients to a beginner therapist and I want them to learn..does anyone know of any options ie apprentice wage etc???

Pay minimum wage plus bonuses? But get a clear plan set out how you plan to increase their wage to a good level. It's horrible to pay minimum wage but a new therapist brings a lot if enthusiasm to a salon and paying low will only damper that in the long run. I have just employed my first college leaver and she is fab! Really looking forward to her improving over the next few months.

I've recently finished my level 3 in beauty but I don't drive and most spas I would need to drive so I could actually get there without relying on taxis and most buses don't go by spas as there set out the way :( I rang nearly 30 salons all to say they don't have any jobs! It's so irritating! :/ xx

I've recently finished my level 3 in beauty but I don't drive and most spas I would need to drive so I could actually get there without relying on taxis and most buses don't go by spas as there set out the way :( I rang nearly 30 salons all to say they don't have any jobs! It's so irritating! :/ xx

I see what you're saying. I moved to be closer to some spas so that even on public transport plus a half mile walk I was able to get to my first spa job.

You can live in local accommodation provided (at a cost) by Ragdale Hall if you work there.

Latest posts

Back