Advice for silly situation!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Heeeeello everyone, would be REALLY grateful if anyone has any advice for a silly situation I've gotten myself into...

Basically, to cut a long story short... I did a treatment on someone who worked for the company I am renting a room from last Wednesday, with a verbal agreement she would pay me (£129 - which was discounted from £215) the following Tuesday, when she got paid. However, on the Friday she was sacked, and I wasn't in at the time, meaning she will no longer be around and I didnt recieve my money. I have contacted her since then offering condolences and flexible payment plans (pay a little off each month etc) but basically asking for my money - with no replies. She wont answer my calls either.

I was just wondering if you have any info or advice on where I might stand legally with this? My landlady suggested I sent her an invoice and if I dont hear from her in 14 days, contact the small claims court. But I suspect if she wont reply to my text, calls or emails she wont bother responding to that either...

On one hand I feel like for £129 it's not worth bothering with but on the other that is a third of my rent for the month and I am not happy (and cant afford) to just lose that amount of money when I have performed the treatment!!!

I've got a feeling I'm going to have to just leave it be and see it as a valuable (and expensive) lesson learned... *slaps hand* but if anyone has any idea's i'd be really grateful.

Thanks in advance

Tasha

Last edited by a moderator:
Why dont you try and call her with no number?
Hopefully she will answer.
x

Hi

I would write a very formal letter sent by recorded delivery address to her full name. State the facts only and talk about yourself in 3rd person tense. Request that payment is recieved within 7 days or you will seek legal advice and she will be charged the solicitors fee on top.
If this is too harsh add in that you are happy to recieve payment in 2 or 3 equal installments but list dates and amounts you expect so it is clear.
Formal letters often make people realise that the situation will not go away.
Fingers crossed
Josie x

Hi

It could affect her credit rating I think and follow her around. You would need to get accurate advice perhaps from citizen advice bureau. If she behaved like this through a company she would eventually have bailiffs after her. Hope u get your money back.

Hi

It could affect her credit rating I think and follow her around. You would need to get accurate advice perhaps from citizen advice bureau. If she behaved like this through a company she would eventually have bailiffs after her. Hope u get your money back.

It won't affect her credit rating as there is no proof that she even had the treatment! She could completely deny all knowledge of it if it escalated in to anything! .. On the other hand, I really do hope she pays up the money that she owes you for the treatment already performed.

Personally, I would pay her a visit at home and say you are there to discuss payment for the money she owes you. State that you are not demanding it in one lump sum, and try to sound understanding that you realise she is now out of work (even if you couldnt care less!) then go on to say how you have already performed the treatment and therefore it has cost you and you need to make the money back in order to pay your own rent etc and make her see it from your point of view too, that you are in need of that money and rightly owed it. You have done her a favour in reducing the cost significantly in the first place, so make her aware of that and explain that you feel let down by her that she is not sticking to the verbal agreement that you made with eachother which you needn't of done in the first place, but you did because you felt you could trust her..
Failing that, put it in writing.
Let us know how you get on hun, good luck however you do xxx

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think it is professional or safe to be banging on people's doors begging or demanding money. You don't need to tell her how you need it for product etc etc, that isn't a conversation had with a client!

Josie's suggestion of an invoice with an optional set payment schedule is a good one. I would not get into a conversation about how much SHE can afford or a vague little at a time. If she does not respond then you have the option of small claims action. You need to document your actions taken to recover money owed.

I definitely feel this is worth perusing that far! I would also seriously consider what is your policy on non paying clients. You will probably not put yourself in this situation again... But clients have been known to get to the end of an appointment and not be able to pay. How is this situation to be handled?

A PROFESSIONAL Recovery of monies owed policy is not going to include "harass via telephone and then drive over to their place".

CRAZY

I do not think it is professional or safe to be banging on people's doors begging or demanding money. You don't need to tell her how you need it for product etc etc, that isn't a conversation had with a client!

Josie's suggestion of an invoice with an optional set payment schedule is a good one. I would not get into a conversation about how much SHE can afford or a vague little at a time. If she does not respond then you have the option of small claims action. You need to document your actions taken to recover money owed.

I definitely feel this is worth perusing that far! I would also seriously consider what is your policy on non paying clients. You will probably not put yourself in this situation again... But clients have been known to get to the end of an appointment and not be able to pay. How is this situation to be handled?

A PROFESSIONAL Recovery of monies owed policy is not going to include "harass via telephone and then drive over to their place".

CRAZY

She was a colleague, who had been given a significant discount because of this and made a verbal agreement that she is now not sticking too. I feel that this situation differs slightly from the standard, non paying client.

you have offered all you can, now send an official letter stating the facts and the amount of money owed and how she can pay it, state when she needs to pay it by or you will pass it on to small claims.

alternatively, I have a number of a debt collection company, you can employ them to get your money back.

Think small claims will cost you around £50, but think that if you win she has to pay that as part of the settlement.

Thanks every one so much for you advice!

I think I will go down the formal letter route, I need to keep it professional and she's lucky I'm not requesting what the treatment is actually worth! Grrr.

I don't like kicking someone when they're down but I am owed that money. This has been a valuable lesson...

So, again, thank you everyone, I shall let you know how I get on! xx

Latest posts

Back