Advice for starting up mobile/from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FayeElizabeth89

Nail Technician in Training
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm just about to dip my toe into the waters of working from home and Mobile. I'm fully qualified and I have my insurance. I'm also registered as self employed.

I've got the basics.

Now I need the not so basics...what else do I need to consider for my business?

Are there any 'must do' things I need to get done before I start working on the public? I've never done anything like this before and I want to get it right off the bat. I don't want to jump right in and fail or make a huge mistake because I didn't do something.

I'm uk based so need to know uk things lol!

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say xxx

Hi, well done on getting started!
I'll try to make a list of the next steps in order of timing / priority:
Decide on:
  1. Which treatments will i offer?
  2. Which brands will I stick to?
  3. What equipment, products & retail will I need to order?
  4. Who are my main competitors - check out their prices & brands
  5. Having priced up products - how much will I charge? (think - product costs + my time + overheads + profit margin)
  6. What hours will I advertise as being open?
  7. Create a salon email address
  8. Decide what will be the salon phone number you want clients to use
  9. Create a web page
  10. Create a Facebook salon page
  11. Design & get price list / leaflets printed with all the above info & your address
  12. What dress code / uniform will I wear?

Hope that helps, once you have everything you need in the way of products and equipment you need to start marketing yourself and there are lots of threads on Salon Geek to help you with this.
Good luck!

P.s
Have you checked if you need 'change of use' planning permission or licences from your local council if you are going to work from home?

Hi, well done on getting started!
I'll try to make a list of the next steps in order of timing / priority:
Decide on:
  1. Which treatments will i offer?
  2. Which brands will I stick to?
  3. What equipment, products & retail will I need to order?
  4. Who are my main competitors - check out their prices & brands
  5. Having priced up products - how much will I charge? (think - product costs + my time + overheads + profit margin)
  6. What hours will I advertise as being open?
  7. Create a salon email address
  8. Decide what will be the salon phone number you want clients to use
  9. Create a web page
  10. Create a Facebook salon page
  11. Design & get price list / leaflets printed with all the above info & your address
  12. What dress code / uniform will I wear?

Hope that helps, once you have everything you need in the way of products and equipment you need to start marketing yourself and there are lots of threads on Salon Geek to help you with this.
Good luck!

P.s
Have you checked if you need 'change of use' planning permission or licences from your local council if you are going to work from home?

Thank you. Sorry for the delay in replying I've been busy getting stuff sorted and didn't realise you had replied.

I've pretty much sorted out everything that you wrote down, I just need to source some retail products. Do you have any idea what I should retail? All I've come up with so far is cuticle oil.
I'd like to retail hand creams/foot creams, exfoliators etc but I worry that I'm offering too much retail and perhaps I should just stick to one or two things?

I've not done much with regards to retail so any advice on this would be good. Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back