Advice - gels and other training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am looking for a few pieces of advice so sorry to bother you!!

I am a qualified Nail Tech and have done lots of Acrylic & Gel extensions, Manicures & Pedicures.

I am now looking to extend my services and offer gel colours etc so i have various questions:

1. Whats the best one to use, have looked at Gellish, Gellux and various others? Are they all pretty much the same thing? What sorts of colours are popular?

2. I use Star Nail polish normally and have had a few people ask me to put gel on top of standard polishes, will this do the same sort of thing? Protect? I know the colour wont be the same.

3. I buy all my stuff from Capital, have seen a Gel soak off, is this needed or can you use plain old acetone?

4. I have found a lot more people are asking for hollywood toes and twinkle toes, Twinkle Toes i had a bit of disaster with, the glitter i originally purchased was to thick but have now purchased a Martha Stewart set so am hoping this will work better!!! I know how to do hollywood toes, but what do you use to apply your hollywood white? Have been told various things. Struggling to
get a clean smile line.

5. I am now looking to do some more courses as i want to make this my full time living, but dont know what to do next, Waxing, Eyelash extensions, Tanning, Threading etc? What would you say is the most popular and the biggest earner?

Sorry if i seem a bit thick or like i dont know what im doing but i havent done it for a few years and have been pushed back into it as my normal full time job has changed to part time hours.

Also, i am mobile, i intend to charge a "intoductory" special offer cost, what do you think is acceptable? Do you think this is a good idea? Will people moan when i put the cost up?

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated! Sorry for babbling on! x

There are so many products out there its confusing. Have you thought about doing a conversion course? There are heaps of threads on here perhaps do some research on products, see which you like the sound of them call them up and see what conversion courses they offer. Good luck :)

Calgel is amazing :)

Hi luv. There are lots of gel polishes out there and sooo many threads on here that it's worth putting a few names into the search function (try shellac, Gelish, OPI gel colour, orly gel fx, gellux, geleration)

You can use acetone with the wraps to soak off but it is quite dehydrating so your systems remover is usually recommended although a lot of us
love D-solve (available from S2 or
ellisons)

Latest posts

Back