Advice on covering bright red?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwiglet

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am experienced mainly in the hair extensions side of hair dressing so please excuse my ignorance when it comes to colouring and the science behind it! :o

I have pillarbox red hair and have had for about 4 years now, its only quite short and in good condition as i generally wear extensions so dont bother growing it lol. Anyway I was wanting to achieve a caramel colour simialr to the Wella Koleston 8/07 but i was wondering if i would need to mix this with a different colour base to neutralise the red (obviously green is best but again im not sure how this would come into play) and obviously what colour i would need to lighten it to, it generally goes orange when i apply a bleach bath.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated I work with barbers and they arent being much help bless them :green:

Thanks again x

Generally that red would have to be lifted with lightner. Any solo color you would used would still show as reddish. It may even be a process you have to do in increments.
If comfortable, I would bleach as far as comfortable,then tone with like 7/1(demi) and do hilites and glaze everything with your choice. All under very watchful eye as light hair tends to grab.
Goood luck!

Victoria Gillespie

As you are prob aware red is a sod to take out, i would do 2 strand tests one with bleach & 6% and one with 9%, i have found through experience that some reds lift easy and some not, so its worth doing this to give you an idea, if its easy then i would recomend a full head of foil hilites (very thick) so that at least 70% of your hair is being lifted, under a carefull eye of course, then you would probably be best applying 7/07 and allowing for lift naturally through washing good luck! it sounds messy but worth it x

Thanks for your replies :)

I went from red to pink to silver last year so I know this is going to be a bit of a bitch, that's why I've opted for a more natural hade (for now haha)
I purchased affinage eraser and wella blondor which were recommended by a friend who is brilliant at her job, she advised me to try and wash out as much of the red as possible, then bleach as you said to try and achieve as close to yellow as possible. Before checking this for replies I also bought wella koleston 9/17 which is light ash brunette blonde? I have my fingers crossed as this is similar to my natural colour and I was sated of going for anything with 'gold' in the title as with the red undertones already I imagine it'd go Ginger...

I mixed 2 shades to go silver (lightest pearl ash and the slate special mix) can you advise a colour I could mix with the 9/17? Maybe to lighten it up a bit/achieve more shine?

Thanks gain for your help :)

Wiish me luck and thankyou again!!

Sounds like a plan! good luck...let us know how you get on xx:)

A little more advice guys!?

I'm really struggling deciding what colour to use over my hair once I've bleached it? I thought an ash like wella koleston 9/1 maybe adding extra ash just in case but I'm fidinthe reviews on what colour it will go on slightly orange toned hair? The colour I really wanted was a caramel/sandy colour but I'm thinking putting that on already 'warm' hair equals ginger?

Any advice?

From colour theory class ash neutralises orange so putting a 9.1 would result in a base 9...?

Do more strand tests if you need to test what colour it'll go.

Apply colour stripper and desired shade on strand test first. let us how how it goes xX

It went so well I love it, I used a 9.1 and it was still yellow so tried a 12.89 to neutralise that and it's a perfect dark ash blonde :) thanks for your help guys x

Latest posts

Back